New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolivia hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
anyone have any info or experience regards hunting in Bolivia?
APB

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by APB:
anyone have any info or experience regards hunting in Bolivia?
APB

How about Chile then?
As there has not been any response regards Bolivia as yet?
APB

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
APB: Chile has a well managed hunting industry and some terrific trophies can be obtained there, i.e. red stags and fallow deer. Alas, pricing is high.
Good luck

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Boliiva about 20 years ago - twice ! Once in the rainy season (stupid booking agent .. grrrrr !!!!) Mad He suggested that I come then but all it did was really really rain .. go figure,,, Confused and then about six months later in the dry season ... Mostly we hunted in the rain forest or jungle or whatever you might wish to call it .. Absolutely fascinating .. cheers Some of those varmints that one would see in the jungle - had no idea what they were ... lots of really exotic little stuff .. Hunted tapir, paca, capybara, white lipped peccary ... broquet deer ... and other assorted little beasts ... Certainly one of my most fascinating trips ... but unlike most places I've been .. I'd rather not go back. In the rainy season it struck me that it was only a matter of time before one got sick .. hot .. humid .. rainy .. Not many folks have ever hunted tapir though .. at least gringos ... like me ... and my lady - the gringa ... Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ill not going to Bolivia its very dangerous and the new goverment dont like americans .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Ill not going to Bolivia its very dangerous and the new goverment dont like americans .Juan

Juan, how about Aussies?
Is Bolivia dangerous everywhere or just in the cities or certain areas?
APB

one of us
posted Hide Post
APB ... a few years ago I was flying either into Miami from Buenos Aires .. or from Miami to some other city on my way back to the Great White North. I sat beside a young American lady who had just spent many many months in Bolivia .. in the remote areas .. She was working with some group of doctors and nurses that were doing some kind of humanitarian stuff for the locals... She told me that she often hitch hiked alone in those insolated areas .. No problems .. Confused Go figure .. I was most impressed as I would have thought a 25 year old girl in the middle of nowhere would be a sitting duck to some human predator .. and I certainly am not saying it to be only about Bolivia ..

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
APB,

I shot doves in Bolivia in late June or early July of 1999. We hunted in the Gran Chaco region I believe. The weather was pleasant, pants and short sleeves, IIRC, and dry and dusty.

There were endless feilds of sunflowers from just breaking ground to green to full bloom to brown and ready to harvest. Most feilds were almost endlessly long and a quarter to a half mile wide with tall tree wind breaks running parrallell to their length.

Some natural and some pumped water holes in cow pastures that could be huge. Mostly flat with some low hillocks with trees.

All in all you could not ask for better dove habitat and there were enough doves to literally make the horizon black as they flew to their roost in the evening. The shooting was phenominal, measurably better than Cordoba, Argentina. (where I have shot twice) I was shooting double barrel twelve gauges and wasn't pushing to shoot a ton but I still shot 2750 shells in three days, each involving a long, on the spot grill out and nap.

The country is poor and, where I was, pretty unatractive. The indigenous people there live at a lower standard than the locals in the Zimbabwe countryside. We each had two bird boys who fetched downed birds, water, beer, and an endless number of shells. I saw none but the bird boys ran across a poisonous snake or two every day. We were requested to tip the bird boys, but no more than $10/day.

Our outfitter has passed away and I believe his wife is or was trying to continue. I would not hunt with her. The fellow was a good sort, she was not.

PM me if you need any more info.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote