Find
Notify
Tools

Trans Pecos muley
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted
I shot this deer two days ago in the north edge of Loving County, Texas, about 150 yards from the New Mexico fence. It was a solo hunt, so he was a chore getting back out of the brush, but it was one of the best hunting days of my life - one of those rare times when you walk up to a buck and realize he is a lot bigger than you thought when you pulled the trigger. I know he's no Rocky Mountain monster, but that sand country grows very large deer, and for a Texas muley, I thought he was respectable. The deer out there aren't under every bush, like the whitetails here in the hill country, so you fight getting discouraged looking at a whole lot of ugly scrub brush and oil field equipment and not seeing anything. But when you find a few of them, it is exciting. I walked up on him after spotting him from a long ways off. I stepped around a bush and he was standing broad side looking at me. I knew I had about 3 seconds to do something so I put the sticks up, looked at him through the scope, saw that he was outside his ears and looked to be a mature deer, and pulled the trigger. The thump of a 180 gr. 30-06 is pretty loud at 45 yards, but I still waited 20 minutes before I approached where I saw where I thought he'd "nosed in"; I'm glad I did, because he had his head up and a broken front shoulder. One more round behind the shoulder put this proud ol' boy out of his misery and I was one happy hunter.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beautiful buck. Congratulations

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
very nice!!!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! That is TOUGH country to hunt! Congratulations and thanks for the pic

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Excellent Texas mulie! Well done, my friend!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking buck, time to move to TexasSmiler

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote