New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another newfoundland moose hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I hunted the opening week in unit 15 at a place called the Hideaway Lodge. I would give the experience a strong "mediocre" rating, for several specific reasons.
Most blatant: Outfitter paired us up with strangers. Early on the third day, our guide saw a moose & wanted us to shoot. As I had a bull only tag, & could not see horns, I backed off. Guide kept after the other fellow to shoot, & he ifinally took a shot at what turned out to be a brush pile. It was early and the range was around a 100 yards.
Lodge had us out early in the morning, and back to lodge by 10 or 11AM. Then we were to hang around lodge until 4 PM, then head out til dark. It was an awful lot of ours sitting around the lodge.
Afternoon of the first day, guide dropped off the other hunter, we hike another 1/4 mile & set up a watch, directly into the setting sun. A cow moose walked out on the bog, & guide immediately headed back for the other hunter. A small bull walked out, which he saw, but he continued after the other guy. Both were gone when they got back. Bull had some horns, but no palmation, and was a lot shorter than the cow. These were the first moose I had ever seen with a rifle in my hands. And no guide to discuss wheter it was a reasonable bull, or not. I will never know for sure.
Asked for another guide at the end of that day. Next AM with a new guide, we had to wait til well after sun up to spot for the owner & another hunter looking over some bogs they were going to hunt up through. THen we were free to head over the rock & down into a huge bog we were to hunt. there was a real good bull out about a 1/2 mile. Never saw him again. Might have had a chance if we had moved into the bog in the early dark like all the other hunters. I understand that sometimes that is just the way a hunt goes. I can accept that.
However, I was never again permitted to hunt within 5 miles of that bog, tho' the owner & Canadian hunters went back morning & afternoon til the end of the week in search of that mauler.
Last, there was a bit of anti-American sentiment in the air that surfaced at least twice during the week.
I truly liked Newfoundland, and intend to return. But it will be at a different lodge.

Posts: 44 | Location: Finger Lakes NY | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would help if you posted more details about the lodge, what was promised to you and names of the owners/guides. Thanks for posting your story. Sorry it did not work out.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow, a bad experience not mediocre IMO. I agree with Dogcat, post the offending outfit's information as a courtesy to other fellow hunters so they don't end up booking with them!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This lodge is located on Frozen Ocean Lake, outside of Grand Falls-Windsor. Owner is Rob Folkes.

Posts: 44 | Location: Finger Lakes NY | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gordy
posted Hide Post
Sorry Curtiss that you had trouble with your outfitter. Get the word out on the outfitter. I hate to see Newfoundland get a bad name.
regards
dan

Posts: 45 | Location: nfld canada | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For whatever my opinion is worth...
I have hunted Nfld. twice for moose. Bagged a decent, not great, animal both times. I can reccomend the outfitter without any reservations. Simply the best people to hunt with I have ever met.
Tuckamore Lodge
Main Brook, Nfld.
The owner is Barb Genge, and she really runs a class act. You might want to give her a call the next time you want to go up there.
Additionally, I have found Newfies to be some of the friendliest and best people I have ever met.
Like I said, for whatever it's worth.
Y.D.

I learned everything I will ever need to know about "Islam" on Sept. 11th, 2001

Posts: 106 | Location: Mid_Hudson Valley of New York | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote