New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mufflon Hunt Czech 2016 - I did it again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Although I already have a great Mufflon a friend constantly was asking if we can't do another Mufflon hunt. So since Czech is not too far away and since Mufflon hunting is great fun I agreed.

This time we took a different hunting area. Where we hunted the last time in the south of Czech, we decided to hunt in the North close to the boarder. We did an extended weekend, so arriving Thursday night and leaving on Sunday.

In this hunting area you sleep in a hotel which even includes Sauna and wellness. Food was good and drinks were cheap as usual in Czech.

Before we arrived it snowed a lot and on the first hunting day our guides were not sure if the car will get us up the hill. The plan was to do stalkings in the morning and sit on a highseat in the evenings.

Since I had already a trophy from my last trip, I was very relaxed without any pressure and so it happend what usually happens. On the first day not even 20 minutes on the hunt we saw a group of 10+ Mufflons with a very good male. However I rejected to do a texas heartshot on him, so we continued the search. Once we arrived at a higher place we parked the car and started the stalk and again, maybe 5 minutes after we started walking we saw Mufflons. We made a half circle to get a little closer to them. It was a group of young males. All too young to shoot when we decided to leave them all of the sudden a single old Ram appeared behind the group. God knows what this sheep was thinking but all of the sudden it startet to run more or less directly in our direction. My guide got all excited and said it is a good one and I should shoot. Luckily we had some cover from the trees, when he was about 40m away, I took my rifle and hot him free hand. It was a fantastic moment... after running for another 25 meter he dropped in the deep snow.

Sorry for the not so great pictures but I had no experience how to make good photos with that much snow.

The Mufflon got measured with 195 CIC points which makes him better then my last one.

My friend shot his on the first evening from a seat. Pictures I will add once I receive them.

After finishing the Mufflon hunt we focused on Red deer and wild boar. I shot a female red deer and with the boars we hadn't much success unfortunately.

In the day we visited a kind of a national park with was very impressive.

Since the taxidermist had good prices we both decided to make head should mounts. Once they are ready, I will post them.

Posts: 114 | Location: Germany | Registered: 18 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your successful hunt and thanks for posting such amazing pics.

Well done !

Do you get to keep the meat from your hunt ?
Is Mufflon good eating ?

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your hunt. That looks like a dandy ram and some very fun hunting grounds.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Great ram ! WMH ! Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Muffel! Waidmannsheil! Was this a free ranging hunt?

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes this was free range hunt. In the warm month they are up the mountain now because of the snow they came down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. I am all over this but that white stuff in your pictures has me re-thinking.....

Well done!!! tu2

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing a great hunt. My wife knows I want to do that hunt some day in the Czech Republic.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@Dogcat: You don't have to do it in winter. It is more fun to do it with snow but you can do it in later summer and fall, too.

@Highlander: You can bring her with. The hotel has a small modern wellness area and afterwards you both can visit Prague.

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
nice ram

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil! Very nice Mufflon.

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerac:

@Highlander: You can bring her with. The hotel has a small modern wellness area and afterwards you both can visit Prague.

I have to plan for two Rams since my wife hunts. She was upset just thinking of me hunting bear without her.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing pictures of the park, great sheep too Smiler

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Gerac,

Thanks for the report. That is a good looking ram. What outfitter did you hunt with? I am trying to find someplace different to hunt and that looks interesting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are great photos in my book. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 10904 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@Fjold: I can't remember the outfitter name, I only had him on the phone once. I did my booking over Caracal (Dennis R).

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerac, I PM'ed Caracal.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One last update to this hunt:

The Trophy arrived from Czech and personally I am very pleased by the result. The taxidermist was fast and I think it is very good quality work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
great ram. I would love to hunt there some day

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote