New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spain: Gredos Ibex & a couple of Monterias
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So to make a long story short, I was born in Spain. Have lots of family over there. My brother lives there about half the year.

With all that in mind, I set out to setup an Ibex hunt for my dad on my own (no outfitter). He hadn't been back to visit family in about 20 years, so figured we would make it a visit family / see some sights / eat amazing food / and get a little hunting in / type trip. It worked out perfectly. You see, when hunting the reserves in Spain, you are given a couple of the guides from the reserve. So from my research the "outfitter" simply helps you get things together, acts as a tour guide, interpreter, and brings lunch along when you hunt. I needed none of those things. The reserve's guides are the ones who actually know where to go, and many times already know what ibex they want you to harvest.

So I am sure I will piss off a lot of outfitters over there. From what the lady at the reserve told me, as far as she can remember I am the only one to have done it all myself without an "agency" (aka outfitter). If you speak and write Spanish (or use google translate Wink, and absolutely love paperwork, it is very possible. At least for the Reserva "Sierra de Gredos." I can't tell you how many outfitters I came across on the trip that couldn't believe I had done it all myself, even as I'm checking out my rifle with the guardia civil in the Madrid airport. An outfitter was greeting a couple guys from the UK and kept asking me who I had used. In the end he didn't believe me and still gave me his card. lol it was great.

I can't speak for other reserves, but I am sure it is not much different. But if looking for a Gredos Ibex, Sierra de Gredos Reserve is considered the best from my research. And as you will see from the pics and video especially, they have BIG ibex there. And lots of them. Most of the pricing and permit info is available online from the reserves website (which is very well put together). The woman who works at the reserve is AMAZING. She is as thorough and sharp as anyone I've ever come across. She made the whole thing go very smooth. Oh and she speaks and writes in english very well!

Feel free to PM me for details. I am more than willing to help others. I have setup a network of people over there that can help with each aspect of it (acquire permits, licenses, trophy care, vet cert, export, etc...) My brother even told me that he'd be willing to interpret if he's around during that time. I figure I saved roughly 40% doing it myself vs an outfitter.

So besides the hunting and visiting family, we put some serious miles on the rental. Galicia, Avila, Segovia, Toledo, Plasencia, Caceres, Herrera Del Duque, and everywhere in between. Eating like kings the entire way.

Here are a few pics.

This is my home town. a pueblo called San Francisco de Olivenza. Off in the background is Elvas, Portugal.

Lots of guys hunt with Spanish Galgos for hare. Here is one of my cousin's galgos. I already had all my sundays filled up or else I would've gone out and got some footage of the galgos. They are a sight to see when hunting.

A little breakfast to get things started. a "Catalana (con jamon)" in Olivenza

Ah yes. Jamon de Pata Negra. Putting all other cured meats to shame...

Cochinillo de Segovia

Gredos Ibex Hunt

We stayed in the Parador in the Sierra de Gredos. Which I highly recommend. 20-30 minutes from hunting area and a really cool place to stay.
Morning of the hunt. Meet with the reserve's guides. After some quick checks of the paperwork, we are off into the hills. Permits are based on area (north or souht) and then size of animal (bronze, silver, gold) So based on your permit, the guides will have an idea of what you want to kill. In our case we told them 240 was about as high as we wanted. They said "well we know of two real old ibex, one will probably go 250, the other much higher"
Doing some quick math, we figured the 250 would be ok. Keep in mind, even without the outfitter, the reserve it self charges by point. And even though we could afford something bigger than 250 (DIY prices are quite a bit better than outfitter rates hehe). I wanted to be able to cover the cost in cash we had on hand. This way we could take the ibex that same day and rush him to the taxidermist. In order to take the trophy home with us. So time was of the essence and after all trophy size wasn't the most important thing.

Ok back to the hunt. We hiked about two hours through rolling hills with pathways made of stone (who knows how old). We started to see ibex right away. It was rainy and snowing lightly. The rut had just kicked in. So the ibex were dumb as shit. Bow hunter's dream. You'll see in the video, that we were easily within bow range to a few nice ones. We saw big males, but the guides were focused on finding the older males they had seen a few days before. We ran into them after a short hike. Two very nice trophies. One dark male, and one lighter one. They get dark as they age, but then can also revert back to a light color when they really start to get old. The lighter one was a BEAST. Huge ibex. You will see him in the video. Darker one had a prettier coat (for life size mount) and was more in the range we had budgeted for. So after a short stalk and some waiting, he was down with one shot.

Measured 246, and 16 years old.

Barely anything left for teeth. Probably on his last year.

Guides were excellent. Hunt was pretty easy as far as the physical aspect. Steady uphill for a couple hours and we had seen about 30 already. Definitely not a tough mountain hunt. But a cool experience in some great country. And some of the coolest looking ibex in the world.

Video to come shortly...

Monterias.

So being that we would be in the country for a couple weeks. I figured why not go to a Monteria (driven hunt). Classic Spanish hunt where groups of dogs push deer, boar, and everything else to hunters waiting in their given post.

I had it all setup to hunt the Monteria "El Azuche" in an awesome area near Herrera Del Duque. Well as we are getting our gear ready the night before the hunt, I get a whatsapp message to call the organizer (Monteros de Sopetran). The monteria was postponed due to some issue with paperwork. Apparently its not as simple in the states where the owner of the property would just say "sure go ahead and hunt" In spain the local goverment is involved as well as law enforcement... So yeah all kinds of extra steps that can get screwed up.

But what could we do. Since we wouldn't be there for the date it was changed to, they refunded our money, and apologized 1000 times. Solid guys, hope to go back and hunt that area with them in the future. Just so happens I saw the report of what they ended up killing after all.

73 deer and 38 boar. Between 58 hunters.

http://www.cronicasdemonterias...1-2014-monteros.html

that same site is a great resource to find Monterias as well. The owner and webmaster speaks good english. Good place to find monterias without paying "American prices"

Monteria - La Carretona

So anyways. In the end I was able to find another monteria a few days later to go in Sierra De San Pedro (Rincon de Ballesteros). Which was ok. Not great but at least I was able to get the feel for how it works. Between me and my dad, we shot 3 ciervas, and a fox. Could have shot more but we were holding out for pigs or venados (males). Also a couple small ones walked right past me and I didn't want to shoot those guys. I did see a nice male, but he happened to come out up the road from me while I was looking down the other way. Only saw him as he walked into the brush. Day was really wet and rainy, so animals weren't moving as much. I think in the end it was like 10 or so males, about 30 females, and 2 pigs. Between 30 hunters.

Monteria - Monte Carvalho (PORTUGAL)

A buddy of mine from the pueblo asked if I wanted to tag along for another monteria in Portugal. The town where I am from (Olivenza) hugs the border, so its common for us to go back and forth all the time. Interesting fact, Olivenza belonged to Portugal at one time, and some people still believe it belongs to portugal.

This was a monteria for a local pueblo there. I think it was like 50 euros to hunt, and 80 or so spots... Needless to say there were a LOT of people there. And the portuguese between being relaxed and pretty unorganized made this thing last all day.... I was just observing so I took video most of the day. By the time we got our envelope (that shows the spot you drew), ate breakfast, and got everyone organized I think it was almost 1pm (got there around 830 am). guys came back by to pick us up a few hours later. No shots fired from us. guy next to us got a nice boar, and that was about the only shots we heard. really slow day. Since we didn't kill anything. We took off right after eating lunch. Another interesting day. Much different than the fancier, more organized monteria, but still worth doing.

Here is a 12 minute video I put together of the hunts.

http://vimeo.com/113129310

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
video added. thanks

an interesting fact. after the monteria is over. the hunters are allowed to take home the trophy (antlers, tusks, etc...) but the meat is property of the finca (property). A company comes and cuts it all up and hauls it away for market. I was told they get about 2.50 Euros a kilo for the meat.

One of Us
Picture of huntingineurope
posted Hide Post
Great that you share your experiences in Spain with us, one misses quite getting back Smiler

SCI Life Member
www.allanvester.dk

Posts: 111 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 02 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Report!!!

My son has been begging me to go to Spain for an Ibex hunt.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report. One of my dream hunts. PM sent your way...

Posts: 81 | Location: Buckholts, Texas | Registered: 11 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a great time. Beautiful Ibex. Bruce

Posts: 375 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool video. I really enjoyed the hunting in Spain!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great DIY hunt and report. Wish I understood spanish. Seems like an awesome way of getting the hunt for a good price!

NB That suckling pig looked aamzing, using the plate as a knife. You know the meat is tender!

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fabulous photos and video. Great report. Thanks for sharing. AIU

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing an amazing hunting tradition.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys. just got back in the states and replied to the PMs.