New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kazakstan Maral, Roe, and Ibex?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone hunted in the Kazak or Kyrgiz republics for Ibex, Roe, or Maral?

I had heard the Maral population had taken a dive. But that was only from one booking agent. The rest all indicated hunting was the best it ever had been. Pretty typical though.

Posts: 228 | Location: Spain Jerez (Cadiz) | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Jeff Neal at 918 299 3580 to get the scoop on this area. I lived in Kazakhstan for several years and the information coming from there is suspect. Jeff knows this area pretty well.

Posts: 10208 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Kyrg 2 years ago, booked through jeff.
Shot a decent mid asian ibex, passed on the roe (i wasn't interested, which disapointed the locals cause it was an easy afternoon shootem right out of the jeep type hunt that they would get paid well for), likewise I have heard as recently as this fall that the maral is still hard pressed, but jeff would again be more in the know than I am.
mike

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I successfully hunted Ibex in Kirgistan a whole bunch of years ago (maybe 10?). Later I hunted Ibex, Maral (both successfully) and Siberian Roe (unsuccessfully) in the Altai Republic - i.e. the Russian side of Altai Mountains.

A friend of mine went to Kirgistan for Ibex just a few years back, he shot an outlandishly large buck (was it 137 cm - in any event, well over the magic 50"). He booked with this agent: Gugler Jagdreisen.

Ah, here is a picture of my friend's buck - it turned out to be 135 cm, that is one BIG Ibex!!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't expect much in the size of the maral. THe have been shot hard all through Asia and don't know where I would go for a big one now. Can't blame the locals, I would do the sam ehting if I were them. China is sponsoring a lot of poaching throughout the area, so things will only get worse.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote