Notify
Tools

Dollores Argentina
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi all,

I am going to Dollores (Sp?) in Argentina in 5 weeks to hunt Partridge and Ducks and Doves with my dad and my brother. I booked the hunt through Montero on this site and we also have to opportunity to take some big game if we want to. I'll likey take an Axis and Black Buck at some point in the week.

We are only there for a week but a freind has offered to let me take his 8-weight Four peice Fly Rod which can just go into my bag. does anyone think this is worth while?

Also is there any local sights that we should aim to go a nd see?

I can't wait!!

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't help on the fishing issue, but have a great trip and prepare to give a thorough report when you come back Smiler

I am very interested in making a hunting trip to Argentina myself in a couple of years for doves, ducks and maybe bigger game also, so all first-hand experiences are much appreciated.

Posts: 217 | Location: Finland | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fallow Buck: Dolores is some 200 kilometers to the South of Buenos Aires. An easy ride by the Number 2 Route. There are many things to do there, including fishing. Best of all, you are another 200 kilometers far from Mar del Plata (a must see) and other seaside resorts. Very good surf and deep sea fishing can be had there, as well in the many lagoons and rivers, including trout at the Sauce Grande River near Bahía Blanca.
Good luck and feel free to contact me if you nedd more info. Wink

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi Naintal,

I saw a programme about the Golden Dorado and wandered how wide spread they were. What sort of flies would I need for this species?

Thanks for your help
FB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck mate, are you taking the .243 or the .308?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we fished for 3 days early this month for dorado using light spinning tackle. We'd use live bait or a piece of a fish for bait, letting it drift out in the river current. Catching them is fun, they really like to jump.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fallow Buck: I´m not an angler, but remember Joe Brooks saying that gigantic dry flies should be the recipe for dorado (by the way, dorado means golden in Spanish, thus when you write golden dorado you are saying the same thing twice). Salminus maxillosus is the scientific name of our national fish. I do imagine that a frog could also be a good lure, but remember that the hooks should be very strong, the dorado has a crocodile´s jaws.
This is a fish of warm waters, you find him mostly in the Northern portion of Argentina.Nowadays the biggest can be located near Concordia in Entre Ríos Province. A press there makes food very easy for them and thus they grow to gigantic sizes.
Good luck

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Hi,
As Nainital said, the biggest dorados are in the Uruguay river (frontier between us, the handsome christians and those ugly unfaithful argentinians Big Grin )

The Dam name is Salto Grande (just infront the uruguayan city of Salto).

To be honest is not very near the south part of Buenos Aires province, maybe you will be nearer Sierra de la Ventana where you can try for some little rainbows. Anyway, for dorados you will need a #8 rod with a quick descent line. The closer the Dam you get the better for big fish but that means you will need to traspass the allowed "safe line" at least for doing the cast and then you can fight the fish down river.

Good luck with my "ecologicals brothers" Roll Eyes Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I'm taing a #8 weight rod and I'll take a selection of flies making sure to take some big dry flies and perhaps some fry patterns

Boghossian,

I'll be taking the 308 with me for this trip, although I am having some ammo troubles again as I only have about 25 rounds left since Africa and can't get hold of anymore TSX heads

I was told Federal make a Trophy bonded bear claw and a Scierra GameKing in factory loads that I will try iof I can get hold of them. Otherwise I think It'll just be plain old 150gr hornaday softs if my rifle likes them. The Sauer is a little tempremental with the factory loads I have so far tried through it.

Rgds,
FB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo: taking into account that you are next to be a father (the poor baby couldn´t vote in this delicate matter) I´ll forgive your sins and wish you very good times watching our team in TV during the incoming soccer World Cup. A pity that the Uruguayans didn´t qualify...even with our help jumping

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
jumping

Hey FallowBuck,
Forget dry flies !! only big streamers, better ones are with muddler heads with plenty of long black feathers, flashabou, some peackock, etc in VERY sharp 3/0 hooks attached to a very short strong tippet with some wire to avoid cuts. Cortland quick descent salmon/steelhead 444 lines comes with a thick running line, also very good are the Teeny lines.

Good luck
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't forget to leave some room in your luggage to bring back your 6 bottle of their excellent wine, and allow yourself at least 10 extra pounds around the waistline for steaks. argentina really knows beef. WOW you go into a resturaunt their and for 19 pesos (3 to the dollar) you get a steak that would set you back $20-25 here.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And grilled dorado with butter and lemon juice is a delicacy which you can only taste here....

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Butchloc,

I've put on 2 kilos just tthinking about the steaks!!!! My freinds joke that my idea of vegitarianism is eating chicken so you can imagine how excited I am!!

I honestly think I am more excited about this than I was about my African safari.

Rgds,
FB

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
2 days left before I go and I haven't even had a chance to think about it.... I rekon it is about time I started to get fired up for this!!

All final details have been sorted and all I have to do is print off the firearm aplication forms forr the guns we are taking.

I'll look forward to posting some photo's in a couple of weeks.

Rgds,
FB

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
GOOD LUCK !!!!!!
If you have some spare time in Buenos Aires maybe I can go and join you for a beer or two with other AR members, or even better, if you want to do a 30 minutes flight to Montevideo I will show you the best side of the river Big Grin
Enjoy your trip!!
L

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
(...) or even better, if you want to do a 30 minutes flight to Montevideo I will show you the best side of the river Big Grin
Enjoy your trip!!
L

Actually that´s quite a fact, but not really from Montevideo but from Colonia mainly ... Cool

But why would you go to Uruguay just to try to see from there only the coast of the best side of the river, instead of staying in "that" best side, enjoy all its many attractions and after that, as a dessert, you might enjoy the sight of the uruguayan coast ?? Wink

Seriously, enjoy your trip - but don´t get careless .. there are many "oportunists" just waiting for their chance to come, usually in the form of a confident tourist ....

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Good luck my friend and if you have time visit me and we can shoot some doves .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I really can't wait to get over there. I don't think we'll be in Buenos aires at all as I arrive on Saturday evening and go to the hunting area directly.

We might have a couple of hours on the following Friday so Lorenzo if you PM me your mobile I can give you a call if we are about for that beer. It is always good to meet AR members.

Juan, I'm still sad hat I couldn't take you up on your very generousd offer to remove some piggies from your lands. I will have to come back another time for this!! I have a group of freinds that might be interested in fly fishing for seatrout in patagonia, and I believe you have a lodge in that part of the country?

Rgds to all,
FB

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
yes i have an operation in the island of CHOELE CHOEL you are invited to hunt doves for free ,Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Thankyou Juan,

I will be sure to take you up on the offer at the earliest opportunity.

Best regards, Kiri