Find
Notify
Tools

Awesome New Mexico Pronghorn Hunt!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted
I know this is my first post but I have been lurking here for awhile and wanted to tell you about my first pronghorn hunt.

This hunt was a group hunt booked with Greg Rodriguez of Mombasa Trading Co. The location of my hunt was in Ft. Sumner, New Mexico on multiple private ranches. The weather was awesome, the people I met were great, the accommodations were more than expected�and on top of all that there were lots of pronghorn running around! I shot a very nice, symmetrical 15� pronghorn by about 8:30 opening morning. There were a couple bigger antelope killed, including a beautiful 16�+ that was taken by a friend of mine. My new .300 WSM using factory 150 silver ballistic tips did a great job on my first pronghorn. I shot mine through the shoulder at a little over 200 yds and it was a �Bam-Flop� deal. From my observation a great time was had by all and several new friendships were started during this hunt. As a matter of fact�.I rebooked this hunt for next year!

I have hunted several times with Greg and strongly recommend him as an outfitter and guide for whatever you may want to pursue.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey TXPO (Texas Police Officer?),

Welcome to the board! Congrats on a great speed-goat hunt! I just did my first one just across the border in west Texas. I have seen some of Greg's brochures at Hill Country Rifles. It is good to get some feed back. Put up some pictures when you get a chance and tell us more about the hunt.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Bob,

you guessed it right...Work for Ft. Bend County Sheriff's Dept.

Funny you should mention Hill Country Rifles....I was working up another load last evening for my 35 Whelen they built for me a couple of years ago. Matt at HCR will be getting my .375 H&H pretty soon.

I have never attempted to post pics on any forums but I may have to give it a try.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
TXPO,

Congratulations on your hunt. Here is a link which will give you a few tips about posting pictures (or you can email me a couple of pictures and I will post them for you).

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002524

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
TXPO and Greg,

Here are the pictures. Give us some details.

Regards,

Terry

-

-

-

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I was glad to see Wes posted a review. We always do very well on this hunt, both in terms of trophy quality and fun. This year, we took several that were at or above 16", and we had a great time doing it.

The first of the 3 pics is me with friend and client, Mike Selletti. I shot that buck because he was very wide and heavy, and I wanted to test the range of the .270 WSM. I took him at a laser-measured 450 yards (453 to be exact).

The second pic is Mike's buck, which was 16 1/2".

The third pic is Wes' buck. It was his first Pronghorn and he shot it very well. It measured a bit over 15".

We have a great time on this hunt every year, and Wes' group actually re-booked a total of 10 spots for next year.

Wes,
Thanks for posting.

Terry,
Thanks for adding the pics.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Carr.

The top photo is Greg Rodriguez with his antelope....a witnessed (not by me though!) 450yd shot with the .270 WSM & 130 BT's. I have seen the video of this hunt and it's truely awesome.

The middle photo is of Mike Sellitti and his 16&1/2" antelope.

Bottom photo is of my 15" pronghorn.

Again, this was a very enjoyable hunt and I can highly recommend Greg and his company for your future hunting needs.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
TXPO,

What a great hunt and a great clasic pronghorn!!

Thanks for the pics!!

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote