Find
Notify
Tools

Back from the Quehue Valley (Argentina)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Hi, just back, seems everyone has gone hunting also as there are no too many new topics.

I've been hunting red stags in La Pampa Province, in the southern center of Argentina.

The place is arid and suffering a long draught from some time, also it's doing too much hot (34�C) for this time of the year and it seems this is affecting the roar.The males need colder weather and the femals are still with young calfs from last year.

I managed to hunt a good one, we start walking at 5:30 am till 8 am, back to the estancia, some food a siesta, and back again to the bush around 6 pm. The farm was 20.000 unfenced ha., but from what I heard small fenced areas are becoming more common.

The hunting party was composed of 9 members (all argentinians except me) and we only managed to hunt two deers.

Poaching was a serious problem in the area, in the five days I spent there I heard several shots and we find three stags without heads, walking through the bush at night is not recomended.

Regards
LG

[ 03-23-2003, 01:58: Message edited by: Lorenzo ]

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Lorenzo

Glad to see that you are back alive and well [Smile]

Did you shoot any Red stag this time or were you just stubeling over poached deers [Confused]

I want pictures if possible. Sorry to hear about the poaching in Argentine. I'm supprised that they didn't take the entire deer, the meat is very nice for BBQ.

Saludos
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Johan,
I hunt a good one, not a monster but good enough to pull the trigger. It weighted 260 kilos.
Yes, it's a pity all the poaching.
There are two kinds of pochers, the local hunters looking for meat aren't a problem, they hunt one or two femals, but there is other kind of hunters/poachers looking for trophys and they shoot everything. It's very difficult and takes time to see if it is a good trophy so they shoot every animal (male) they see and then if it's big better, if not, no problem.
It seems Hunting-pictures is down so I'm having some problem for posting the pictures but I'll continue trying.
At the return trip I stopped in other area and hunted a nice blackbuck (indian antelope)but I don't have those pictures yet.
LG

[ 03-23-2003, 01:59: Message edited by: Lorenzo ]

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote