ACCURATERELOADING.COM WORLD HUNTING REPORT FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Rest Of The World    UK HUNT with Athina Hunting Tours and AR's FallowBuck

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UK HUNT with Athina Hunting Tours and AR's FallowBuck
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
I have always wanted to go to England and see the hunting tradition there, and being a history major, I also wanted to see some of the neat sites through the countryside.

Kiri Kythreotis at Athina Hunting Tours invited me over to do a free-range red stag hunt. And he told me we would work in as many other activities as possible.

After the short 6 hour and 45 minute flight from Detroit to London and only 5 minutes clearing my rifle, we were off to the north. Kiri took us to a nice little cottage where we unloaded our gear, and he told us to get dressed and we would go for a stalk. Cameraman Jim Benton and I hurried into some hunting gear, we checked the zero on my rifle (I was using a TC ICON in .300 Win topped with a Nikon 4x16x50 Monarch BDC scope and shooting Nosler 180 gr Accubonds that shot dead perfect both times checked), and we were off into the woods looking for the little muntjac deer.

I really wanted to get a muntjac as the UK is the only place to hunt them free range these days, and I think the little deer are just very cool. They only have small straight antlers, but they also have fangs that are leftover tusks from evolution.

We slowly stalked through the woods, and we spotted 2-3 muntjac, but they were either does, or we didn’t have a chance to judge them. We also saw a nice young roe deer buck. Toward the end of the strip of woods, there was a high seat and platform, so we decided to spent the last 30 minutes there and see what moved through. We saw a couple muntjac does and a small but immediately. Then two roe does crossed about 80 yards away, when a loud bark came from behind us.

I assumed the bark was from a dog, but Kiri turned quickly, pointed behind me and told me to, “Shoot that buck!” Not 20 yards away in the opening was a muntjac buck looking away from us with his head and neck extended, and he was barking constantly.

I eased the .300 around as Jim got the camera turned. I thought I should shoot low, and I placed the crosshairs just under his shoulder and touched the trigger. The little guy was dead immediately as the 180 gr Accubond went straight through the point of his shoulder. Kiri was excited with the quality of the trophy, and I was just amazed how cool the little guy was with his tusks.

The next morning found Kiri and I in a high seat and the camera positioned below in a fairly open pocket back along some woods and a creek. In a typical English misty morning, and group of red deer made their way out of the woods into the tall grass in front of us. There was a great looking 6x7 stag, 5 hinds and a couple spikes. The stag tried to keep the ladies tied up and the spikes away, so he was moving all the time from 50-125 yards away. He lip curled a few times, and heavy steam was coming from his nostrils in jets. The light wind shifted a bit and the herd slowly vanished into the foggy woods. It was a classic scene.

The problem was that the camera couldn’t see any of it because he was at a low angle and one small rise had completely blocked his view. So, from anywhere else we used a high seat, we had a second brought in for the cameraman. What a shame we didn’t get that all on film.

In the afternoon we went on a traditional English duck shoot that was a lot of fun. Kiri tried to teach me how to skybust ducks, but I never really got the hang of it. Thousands of ducks were flying. I think the group killed about 200 ducks in 2 hours, and I got to meet a great group of guys and some AR members...Ben and Amir (sp?)Appreciate all the hospitality and seeing some English shooting tradition.

The next morning we were in the same location, and a little after good light, we had a great looking 6x6 stag walk in, and he ended up at about 15 yards in the wide open. If I had my bow, I would have taken him without a second shot. We did feel he was just a little young and he had tons of potential, so we let him walk.

The morning after that, we changed high seats, and just at daylight we had a group of 9 hinds, 2 spikes and a BIG stag walk right in front of us. The big stag was at a mere 25 yards, and I looked at the easy shot through my Monarch scope. I could have taken him with complete ease, but there wasn’t enough light for the camera for another 20 minutes, so I had to watch the group walk 300 yards and into the thick woods.

Just as we were about the get out of the seats, a stag came running buy behind us. We saw that he had a typical 6 point side, but the other side was really deformed with a cluster of points twisting at the base and only a short beam above. The guys there called him a malformed, and when we told the main deer keeper about him, he said he likes those deer shot and taken out of the herd as management stags.

We stopped and watched a traditional driven pheasant and partridge shoot one morning. The beaters pushed hundreds of birds over the line of guns that were spread out, and they took high and sporting shots as well. Then they came over to the gun bus where a nice refreshment table was laid out with pastries, sausage rolls and sloe gin and champagne cocktails.

On our last morning, we were all pretty down. Getting up 2 hours before daylight was getting old and our outlook for success was bleak. We had to be back by 10:00am to get our stuff ready and get headed to London and the airport if we were to be on time.

At daylight we were back in our favorite high seat and the slight wind was just right. We saw no deer through the morning, which was odd, and at about 9:20AM Kiri nudged me. I figured he was going to tell me it was time to go, but he whispered that there was a hind in the long grass only 25 yards away. She had been bedded and just stood up. All week, every time we saw a hind, we saw a stag, so we scanned the tall grass and within seconds I spotted the crown of a stag’s antler.

He began moving around a bit, and I got my rifle into position. Then from nowhere a spike ran by at the back of the weeds toward the woodline and that got the stag moving his way. I recognized it was the nontypical management stag and must admit that I was disappointed that it wasn’t one of the really big stags, but We were at the end of the game, and I had a shootable stag at 70 yards.

The stag moved away in the high grass, but he angled to my left, and that would put him in a 10 yard wide opening if he continued. We stepped into the clear, took one more stride, and I placed an Accubond right through his shoulder. He collapsed on the spot, and we had an English red stag at 9:30AM.

It was a mad rush to get photos taken, the stag loaded and us back to the cottage before checkout, but we did it. Then off to London to catch our plane back to the States we went. It was a whirlwind day, but we were all smiles. I have been on a few trips lately where the ride home was a sad and lonely affair with nothing but empty tags to show for the efforts.

Athina Hunting Tours worked extremely hard to make this a trip that we will never forget. Being able to hunt red stag, muntjac, duck, watch a pheasant shoot, and spend an afternoon with a local historian was more than I knew you could get into a 6 day trip, but we did that and even had time to drop in at the local pub a time or two!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Great photos and a really interesting trip. Your report has moved muntjac way up the priority list for me. It has also confirmed that I couldn't hunt for the camera, no way I'd have passed on the stag that the camera couldn't see.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Well done Tim.

You gave a very good account of yourself from what I can see and I hope you got some good footage.

That was a very nice muntjac buck you've got there and as you've seen hunting the little buggers can be a lot of fun.

The most munties I've shot from that platform has been 4 in an hour, you were certainly in the hot spot.

I managed 1% of the total bag of ducks to my gun by the way, so relax I can't hit them at those heights either.... hilbily

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great trip Tim and excellent report. I have been wanting to do an English roe deer and muntjac trip myself and take the Missus along for some sightseeing... your hunt report will help spur that dream on. Well done!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Outstanding report Tim and your photos are exceptional. Congratulations!

But best of all, now I have an idea what my daughter can do with her history degree. Big Grin

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Tim
Great report on a hunt that i know nothing about. Looks like Kiri really took care of you.

Your camera man is from a small town 5 minute drive from where i live.

Posts: 756 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Tim

Nice one

As promised PM me your email and I will send photos we discussed

Next trip Chinese water deer in china ?

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Great hunt! Congratulations on a nice bag Smiler
Can't wait to get back to visit these guys.

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Waidmannsheil.

Great trip report and lots of good photos.

With Kiri you are always in good hands ..... Amir & Benjamin, too.

tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

It was a real pleasure spending the week with Tim and Jim. Both were complete professionals and stand up guys that you wouldn't tire of sharing camp with. Like all good trips I think new friendships were formed.

As for the filming, well once I realised that the camera couldn't see what I could see then it all became clear, but I have to admit that the first three days of passing up Stags (especially the first guy!!) left me reeling a bit. However I'm rising to the challenge and I hope Tim will come back next year for the roar and come hunt with me in Scotland somewhere a little more "dramatic"....!!!

As for the Big red Stag? Well, I'm going to call that unfinished business as it should be a good excuse to drink some more sloe gin with the guys next year.

Rgds,
Kiri

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Welcome to my world K! Big Grin

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful adventure. Please keep us posted on the dates of the TV show. I would love to see it, might be even better to do it in person.

Surprising your ease of firearm entry. The word is the Brits are tough...

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Jack...firearms were quicker and about the same process as in Joburg. It took longer on the way out than the way in...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Tim

I was talking to the guys today about your concept of skybusting. we came to the conclusion that it was a cop out and is just an excuse to murder the easy ones!!! Big Grin

I am just back home where we shot 108 pheasants and i have to say some of the shooting was superb with true 40yd+ birds shot even with the muzzle loaders and black powder.

any way don't give up on our concept of sporting yet mate!!

K

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I see your point on the shooting for sure, but here it is illegal to feed ducks and stir them up with a boat. So our sporting part is fooling them into easy range, the shooting isn't the challenge Wink. (though it is for me too as you can attest)

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
That is just AWESOME, glad you had a good hunt and congrats on the trophies. I was born there never seen Muntjac in person. Are you doing a full mount?

Where in the north where you hunting?

I was disappointed I didn't see you in the tweeds old chap!

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I see your point on the shooting for sure, but here it is illegal to feed ducks and stir them up with a boat. So our sporting part is fooling them into easy range, the shooting isn't the challenge Wink. (though it is for me too as you can attest)

ouch!!! i'll just getback in my box... Wink

K

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
not meant as a jab...just differences in the way it is done...yours is about skill of shooting - ours is about calling and decoying. Two separate activities. I don't shoot well in either instance...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool hunt, Tim.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
not meant as a jab...just differences in the way it is done...yours is about skill of shooting - ours is about calling and decoying. Two separate activities. I don't shoot well in either instance...

just teasing mate.

like you say its all good fun.

btw i thought you shot quite well.

K

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Nampom,

We were hunting at an estate just outside of Norwich in Norfolk.

I think it is about a 2 hour drive from Heathrow, but I may be mistaken. We got in the car and were chatting all the way so time flew by quite quickly!!

K

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nampom:

I was disappointed I didn't see you in the tweeds old chap!

It wasn't a tweedy occasion..... Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Nampom,

We were hunting at an estate just outside of Norwich in Norfolk.

I think it is about a 2 hour drive from Heathrow, but I may be mistaken. We got in the car and were chatting all the way so time flew by quite quickly!!

K

Closer to three if there's any traffic.

If you're going at a ungodly hour and can cut across the North Circular then you could do it in two.

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Great report Tim, Love the mountjak, truely beutiful and something that is on my "someday list". Again congrats as you are having one hell of a year. Looking forward to seeing the show.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome trip.
Somehow I gotta make this trip work.
May be a couple years though.
Congrats Tim!!
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What does it cost to hunt Munjack & chinese water deer in the UK for 2 or 3 days?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11017 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Usually you spend more on beer and food !

Did you know that muntjacs is a code word for happy endings !

Athina will look after you

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Will Athina be represented at the Vegas SCI show?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi SBT,

Yes I am expecting to be at the Vegas show, but I will not have a stand for myself. However my plan is to meet up with various guys/gals and discuss what they are looking for in their hunts, to see what we can do for them. Also to get together with a some friends and have a few beers and a catch up. I shan't be mentioning that part to my wife though as the official party line at home is that it is a marketing trip!! Wink

I have confirmed that we have 4 trophy Stags in Norfolk next year in the roar. Two have been earmarked already so I'm not sure what will be left by the time Vegas comes around.

We should however have another 3-4 Trophy Stags in Scotland during the Roar for big animals, but that hunt comes with a warning as it is a tough bit of terrain that isn't for the faint hearted.

Rgds,
Kiri

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kiri, we'll make a plan to hook up at SCI. My wife and I and another couple are making noise about hunting the UK. She and I are most interested in the fanged deer.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
No worries,

We have a hunt coming up in two weeks with another AR member where we are hoping to take a brace of gold medal Chinese water deer and some good quality Muntjac. We aim to film it all. If it goes well then I'll send you a copy of the DVD.

Rgds,
K

One of Us
Picture of Bill Pink
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming this will be in my neck of the woods. If you need any help extracting the deer Kiri, just let me know. I'm very good at dragging, as you know! jumping

-------------------------------------

"If something's hard to do, it's not worth doing."

HOMER (Simpson)

Posts: 39 | Location: Bedfordshire England | Registered: 18 December 2009Reply With Quote