Notify
Tools

Venado Grande Ranch - Hog Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello All,

My first post here. [Smile]

Last year I booked a hog hunt with Ray Atkinson at the Venado Grande Ranch, located about 40 miles Southwest of Uvalde, Texas.

This was my second time hog hunting the Venado Grande Ranch. This hunt was somewhat different then any hunt I had booked in the past in that I put it together for a group of 16 hunters. As it turned out 2 of the intended hog hunters decided, at the last minute, to deer hunt versus hog hunt. We had 14 hunters at the Venado Grande Ranch this past January. We arrived at noon on a Friday and departed at noon on Sunday. After getting sighted in we all sat down to a very nice meal Friday afternoon. There were 12 men and 2 women on the hunt. We were all taken out and placed in box blinds Friday night - about 2 hours before sunset. I purposely booked the hunt on a full moon weekend. As luck would have it the skies were clear and the moon was bright. So bright in fact that one of the hunters asked: Whats that bright light? LOL The first night 9 hogs were killed by various hunters. Mornings aren't near as productive as evenings but some of the hunters went out Saturday morning anyhow - no hogs killed Saturday morning. I slept in [Smile] I heard claims that somebody tried to wake me - lies all lies, lol. After a hearty breakfast we set-up a clay thrower and tested our abilities with a shotgun. Mid day we sat around talking and listening to each others story from the night before. Later in the afternoon we all got ready for the evening hunt. Again, 2 hours before sunset we were all taken to box blinds. Saturday night a total of 10 hogs were killed by various hunters. Sunday morning we all slept in, had a wonderfull breakfast, thanked our hosts and departed back home.

In all, 19 hogs where killed that weekend. It was a great time.

One of the hunters on that trip has sent a group picture to Ray Atkinson showing the hunters standing behind the 19 hogs and Ray is going to put it on his web site for all to see. Actually the picture shows 18 hogs since one was butchered the day before.

The staff at the Venado Grande Ranch were all first class and we all had a great time. I have booked another 3 day hog hunt for next January and hope to make it an anual trip. If your looking to be treated like royalty and be allowed to kill ALL the hogs you see for one low price, Call Ray Atkinson to book a really fun hunt.

Don [Smile]

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don, appreciate the good report....
Ray

Posts: 41838 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Thanks Don, appreciate the good report....
Ray

Ray,

When we first hunted the Venado Grande Ranch in 2002 there were only 2 of us. Will was the camp foreman and cook. I wish he had been there this last trip as he was about the best cook I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. This guy should be a chef in a 5 star resort, he was that good - to my tastes. Mike was our guide and he did a great job. Very helpfull in many ways.

In 2003 Mike was the camp foreman/guide. They had a different fellow doing the cooking. Although it wasn't bad it sure wasn't anywhere near as good as Wills cooking. I understand from Peter (ranch owner) that Will has relocated to be closer to his family - I can fully understand that. Mike has added several elevated blinds that made a real difference. I undestand Mike is going to have a bulldozer on the ranch this summer and cut in some additional "lanes" and make and install additional blinds. There is a 1/2 mile sq area that isn't now being utilized because it is so thick.

Mike told me he really likes the ranch and I sure hope he continues to stay on. He is doing a great job.

Next January there are 3 of us returning for 3 days. As with the first time we went in 2002 we will once again request our dietary needs. Since we are all from the north we never aquired a taste for Tex/Mex type dishes. We are meat and potato's types.

I have no doubt we will have a great time.

Now, if you can locate a ranch in Texas that has way to many does (whitetail) and wants to cull them out for a reasonable price, let me know. I am always looking for places where we can kill 3 or 4 doe a day, for 2 or 3 days. We would like meals and lodging included.

I know if you recommend the place it has to be good. [Smile]

Don [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
For all of you that want to see the picture of what we all killed at the Venado Grande Ranch this past January just click the link.

http://www.atkinsonhunting.com/texas.htm

Many of the hog hunters from that group have booked a trip for next year to the Venado Grande Ranch for the opportunity to enjoy a wonderfull hunt on a first class ranch with first class people.

Don