Find
Notify
Tools

Deer, Elk hunting, Eastern washington
 Login/Join

posted
A brief report on deer and elk hunting in the Yakima
Wa area.
I was fortunate to draw an "Any Bull" tag for areas 340-342In Yakima/Kittitas County, Wa.
We hunted deer for eight days and saw only a few does. My special elk tag kicked in for five days right after deer closed, five days prior to Elk general season. We hunted eight days for elk, and I only saw two elk, or maybe the same one twice. No chance for a shot.
The weather was warm, a little snow that melted off quickly, and very few elk in the area, Elk being scattered over a rather large area with no reason to be anywhere special.
There had been hunting activity in the area for about two months, archery and muzzle loader, prior to modern rifle season that probably had the game spread out and wary. A few elk were taken but not up to expectations. Wa State Game Dept wins again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where in Wyoming did you hunt, and for what species??

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We hunt in the Cottonwood Creek are in the Teton-Bridger Wilderness area due east of Jackson Hole. This is a wilderness area, we pack in and hunt hard. It was bust the last two years. Our group has hunted the area for 27 years with the same outfitter - no elk the last two years. Lots of wolves and griz. We have seen up and down years, but never have we gone a week and seen but 2 animals. We hunt opening weekend every year.

Posts: 10221 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am very familiar with Cottonwood (up the Gros Ventre). It definately can be made into a pack in hunt, however it is not in the Teton Wilderness. I have hunted north of there (Purdy Basin, Gunsight) and always get into a lot of elk. I prefer to wait until they get some snow up on Togwotee, and hunt when the elk start moving south.

Sorry you didn't have a good hunt...although that's why it is called hunting and not killing!!!

MG