Tools

Argentina - April 2013
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter: Catena Safaris (Nico Catena)

Dates: April 14 - 20, 2013

Species: Red Stag, Asiatic Water Buffalo, Black Buck, Fallow Deer

Weapons: Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .300 Win Mag / topped with a Trijicon 2.5 - 10 x 56mm scope
Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .416 Ruger / topped with a Trijicon 2.5 - 10 x 56mm scope

Ammo: Hornady Superformance GMX in .300 Win Mag (150 gr)
Hornday Dangerous Game Series DGX / DGS in .416 Ruger (400 gr)

Optics: Leica Geovid 10x42

I'll probably keep this one short and sweet, but certainly there's an interesting experience to be had in Argentina for its big game hunting opportunities. Starting with the very unique way we actually made our way from Buenos Aires to the town of Sant Rosa. With poor commercial flight options available our outfitter Nico Catena recommended we take the bus from B.A. Now, my thought of riding Greyhound for 7 hrs was not a pleasant one, but we agreed. Holy cow was I ever wrong! This was 1st class seats all the way, but only on a bus rather than a plane. Complete with dinner/breakfast service, complimentary booze, and a seat/bed that layed down flat for a great night's sleep!

Comfortable bus ride!

2013-04-14 10.40.01 by globalhunts, on Flickr

photo (2) by globalhunts, on Flickr

Arriving at the "lodge" of Catena Safaris was also a pleasant surprise! Excellent accommodations, excellent food, good company and of course, great red wine. Nico's family also own's a vineyard, so excellent red wine was never far from reach.

Catena Safaris Lodge!

2013-04-20 09.59.25 by globalhunts, on Flickr

2013-04-20 09.58.37 by globalhunts, on Flickr

2013-04-20 09.57.38 by globalhunts, on Flickr

2013-04-14 10.40.32 by globalhunts, on Flickr

2013-04-14 10.40.15 by globalhunts, on Flickr

2013-04-14 10.39.33 by globalhunts, on Flickr

2013-04-14 10.40.01 by globalhunts, on Flickr

I originally planned this hunt with Nico for just a couple of species, mainly the Asiatic Water Buffalo, and the Red Stag. However, when we arrived he offered to allow us to hunt Black Buck and Fallow Deer too, so who's gonna refuse that?? Nico was certainly a hunter after my own heart! We arrived at the lodge at 8am on the 14th, and by 9am we were hunting!! I told Nico I should probably at least fire my gun once to make sure everything's alright. His response, classic. "No problem, if you miss the blackbuck, we'll likely know everything's not alright." So hunting we went.

He said we still had a good 2 hrs until it got fairly warm - so while we can, let's try for Blackbuck and the Fallow Deer. As the buffalo and stag may not be as easy as you think. Literally an hour into our walk, we located a group of blackbuck, snuck within 80-90 yards, picked out the best of the 2 males in the group, and let him have it. So, just like that and our hunt was underway!

Blackbuck

2013-04-14 07.55.25 by globalhunts, on Flickr

2013-04-14 07.58.00 by globalhunts, on Flickr

As we prepared the BlackBuck for pics and finished some of our filming duties, one of the resident Fallow bucks was going grazy with rut activity, not far away. Fact is, we couldn't see him at all, but man could we hear him carrying on. So, once finished - we moved slowly through the bush hoping to get a glimpse at the Fallow Deer making all the racket. Obviously there was a hot female or two, as once we found em, we found numerous bucks, but one in particular was garnering all the attention from the girls.

The "bush" in the LaPampa region of Argentina, reminded me greatly of south Texas. Mostly 10 - 12 feet tall, but very thick! Frankly, it wasn't as easy as it would first appeared, simply because finding, seeing and shooting anything in that thick bush was not gonna be easy. Anyway, we did unfortunately spook the group once, but on the second attempt, we were finally able to wait out the big buck until he gave us the best shot possible. Again the Hornady Superformance ammo worked flawlessly and he was down in seconds.

Fallow Buck

2013-04-14 09.24.43 by globalhunts, on Flickr

2013-04-14 09.06.34 by globalhunts, on Flickr

Hunting the buffalo and the stag was definitely different than what I thought it was gonna be. First off, they both often preferred to stay in the thick/nasty bush!! Problem was, you could literally be 20 yards or less, and simply not see a darn thing - other than the bushes rustling as they tore off for safer pastures. The only advantage with the stag was they were in full roar so locating them was not generally a problem, but seeing anything other than an antler or an ear, was not easy. Then remember, we have to film it too - so nothing about this was easy. Frankly, I was a little frustrated after a couple of days of trying, and simply coming up empty handed. We did however get some good exercise, maybe walking 4-5 miles each day (total for morning/evening hunts).

Buffalo Hunting Essentials!

2013-04-18 08.53.38 by globalhunts, on Flickr

Several days into the hunt, our luck on the buffalo finally changed - as early in the morning we were able to catch them in the open. It was like a totally different creature all together. Now that they were in the open, and could see us plainly, they were much more tolerant of our presence?? It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Anyway, it worked in our favor - we got to within 90 yards and I took the bull low in the chest as he faced us head-on. He turned to run, took a few steps as I hit him again in the rear left hip and down he went. This was my very first experience with the Ruger .416 and the Hornady DG series ammo, and I was quite impressed with both. I've not seen anything that consistently puts buffalo sized game down as quickly as my old .375 RUM, but this combo did.

Asiatic Water Buffalo (Originally from India)

2013-04-16 07.25.19 by globalhunts, on Flickr

2013-04-16 07.23.01 by globalhunts, on Flickr

Jeremiah Bennett and I

2013-04-16 07.28.56 by globalhunts, on Flickr

As I said before, the rut was on for the stag - thankfully! Finally after 4 days of banging around in the thick bush, we finally told Daniel (our good who spoke little english) that this plan was not working - and we needed a new one. By know, we knew in the evening that a group of stags would work out of the thick bush, towards a waterhole in the semi-open valley, but often times too late for shooting/hunting. Jeremiah and I convinced Daniel (with some fancy hand signals) that a good ole-fashioned deer drive was in order. Daniel agreed, and we pick our ambush spot accordingly.

Now frankly we've all done this before, but rarely does it work as planned. Especially when you have only 1 driver, and 1 shooter. Hoping the critters come/go exactly where you want them to is all well and good, but almost never happens! Well, apparently good fortune was on our side this time - cause every single thing that Jeremiah and I planned, worked to a "T". The biggest stag in the group was even gracious enough to slow down to a walk as he entered our shooting window at 120 yards away. I was standing, set-up on sticks - and as the stag slowed, I hit him through the shoulder with the .300 Win Mag. He dropped to the shot, and our task was complete. We had a beautiful stag, and the end to a great week of hunting in Argentina.

2013-04-17 16.35.18 by globalhunts, on Flickr

2013-04-17 16.28.07 by globalhunts, on Flickr

The roar of the Red Stag was great fun! As a elk hunter from way back, I was thrilled to experience this rutting/bugling activity in another locale. A beautiful animal, and an interesting hunting experience that I am glad I was able to participate in.

From beginning to end, Nico and his family made this a wonderful experience for us - and I look forward to returning soon.

The scene from hotel window in B.A., as we waited to leave for the airport, and the trip home.

photo (2)4 by globalhunts, on Flickr

Now its a 5 Day wait for our departure to Mozambique, and another 18-Day Lion/Buffalo hunt. Cool

Thank you!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Nice Report Aaron.

A part of the world I would like to see one day.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and report. Nothing like having stags roar all around you. Definitely gets the heart beating.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
very nice Aaron. Glad you had a good trip. Very nice animals...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Aaron!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY nice animals!!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you had a far better trip to Argentina and a better ph than we had

Posts: 58 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 25 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures and report Aaron.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

CRYBABY

Congrats Aaron.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Wow, I would have thought with Trijicon and Sports Afield's money pooled together, they could afford a better looking host. Hmm, Shows what I know.

Isn't hunting during the roar a ball? I have hunted Stag on 3 different continents, they are always a lot of fun.

Well done Aaron. Smiler

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunting farm i would love to work for you and not in the swamps anymore Confused ,great photos thanks for sharing Aaron ,great trophies too .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a good hunt Aaron! It looks like you had a great time. I hope to make it down to Argentina in the next couple of years.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ianh:

Do you ever quit whining????

Great hunt and a great time it appears!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one Aaron! Thanks for sharing

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Aaron! tu2

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report Aaron... looks like a great lodge and some nice trophies!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote