ACCURATERELOADING.COM WORLD HUNTING REPORT FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Rest Of The World    Buffalo hunt in Uruguay (again) - PICS ADDED

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo hunt in Uruguay (again) - PICS ADDED
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yo ! A few of you may remember that about 18 months ago I hared it off to Uruguay to hunt water buffalo with three of the nicest fellows that I have ever met. Lorenzo, and the two brothers Gaucho and Mario. While on this hunt a gigantic amd ancient buffalo bull exploded out of the long grass only ten meters from me and Gaucho and somehow we managed to kill it at five meters... Being that I was off to Africa for six weeks this summer I thought that I would pass on going back to Uruguay and made appropriate plans to spend all the time either here in Alberta or in Namibia .. And then came word that the Uruguayan Gov't had decreed that all the buffalo must be killed off because of fear of hoof and mouth disease or some such boogie man thing .. It fell in the hands of my buddies to do this .. they were not impressed with the gov't but here was a chance to do some serious dangerous game hunting .. And because of the bond formed by two men who saved each other's life .. I was invited. I got tickets in the only time I had left .. the end of August ... Came home from Africa, washed clothes and flew off to Uruguay the next day .. I love this country !!! Strange varmints like capybaras, tattoos, caiman, etc ... Zillions of doves and ducks and such !!! On the last day .. (the hunting was very tough as very few buffalo remain and they are very spooky and stay in the deep cover !!) two buffalo ran across in front of my wife and I. At 40 yards she shot the big one in the lungs .. it turned and .... FULL CHARGE !!!! Right at a woman with a 300 Mag and a grizzled redneck with a .416 Rigby # 1 !!! History was repeated big time !!! At 22 yards Margaret fired again and the enraged buff went nose first into the dirt !!! She yelled, 'Did I do that ?!!!'

Running hard the small bull rushed by me at nine yards. I surely do wish that he had known the life and times of the magnificient bull from 18 months ago. I would have felt a lot better when I put the cross hairs on his shoulder and squeezed.

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your charge-stopping wife. We would love some pictures.

I hate to hear about the eradication but it is not my country to judge.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, sounds like the (2nd) experience of a lifetime!! Please congratulate your wife on our behalf, stopping a buff charge with a .300 is a nice feat.
Please post any pictures!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am getting the pictures printed now and will try to post them in the next day or so .. And if worse comes to worse I'll e mail them to Lorenzo or Canuck who knows how to post them ...

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OMUHONA
posted Hide Post
I thaught I told you not to get charged by some buffalo again ! Tell your lady, I am totally proud of her and concerning the batlle axes, I would now rather run from it if I were you.

Posts: 74 | Location: Felseneck-Namibia | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Scruffy,

You rock! Congrats to you and Margaret!

I'd be happy to post up pics again if need be. My e-mail addy's are the same.

Make sure to post up a full report of your latest Namibian adventure too!

Cheers,
Chris

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hey Richard,

Got the pics and will post them in your first post above. Congrats!

I just got my computer going for the first time (since moving) last night. I saved your first buff charge (last year) in a format that I can post on here, not long before moving. I'll try and post it here for you sometime this week!

Cheers,
Chris

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice pictures -- thanks to you gentlemen for cooperating to get them posted. Cool

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chris ! waveMy amigo Gaucho is holding on to the buffalo in the picture with Margaret and I. Below that is another buffalo I shot on the first day. Below that Mario (Gaucho's brother) who shot this wonderful big bull. Lorenzo missed this charge as he was in Marakesh with his lady. In fact I haven't heard from him since. Confused

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Hi Richard!!!
I'm back!!
Still recovering from a sandwich someone gave me, I am sure the meat belonged to some ancient camel Big Grin

When I leave you in the hands of those crazy brothers I never imagined you will experience a buff charge AGAIN!!!

Man, you must have some hormone that atracts them roflmao

I received your picture wearing that camo skirt blowing in the wind!! What a crazy look you have, I still can't understand how someone can enjoy shooting doves with that cold storm around !!!!!! nut

Say hi to Margaret, see you next year in Namibia thumb

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Camo skirt, huh? Frowner Now everyone will want one ! Red Face (Except maybe the Himba chicks ...)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Richard,

Congratulations on your great hunt. I almost went to Uruguay to hunt with you but things got in the way. Why were you hunting with the Ruger #1 when we have a bolt action? I cannot believe two charges.

Best regards,

Ed

Posts: 151 | Location: Hartford, CT USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo, Ed !

Great to hear from you ! I was hoping that you would show up for the hunt. As you well know, those guys are a non stop blast !!! Plus I am sure that we have a few new stories to relate to each other since Easter of 2004. Lorenzo must be right .. there must be something about me that wants wild animals to kill me. Actually I have seen that look fairly often in women's eyes !! Frowner Now that I think about it. I asked Mario how many of the 60 odd buffalo that have been killed this year have charged ? This was before the hunt even started. He said, 'None!' That a few looked like they were ready to (but unlike M.S.) they were taken out as quickly as possible. I don't recommend #1 rifles, of course, when something goes wrong ... We had quite a few guns in camp but I believe the big bolt action's shells had been left in Montevideo or someplace ???? Now it is time to get my wife her bull elk, my son his bull moose, and I'll probably whack a deer or two as Alberta venison, chicken fried, is the best for this ol' redneck !!! Take care, amigo .. Maybe we can get together near Kamanjab in 2006? beer