Tools

D. Nelson's Wyoming Hunt
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Buffalo, Wyoming

Buffalo, Wyoming, October 1 – 5, 2005
Crazy Woman Outfitters—guide Wade Taylor
Using my custom Robar .308 on Ruger action, I call her Sherry, with Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, .165 gr ammo.
Pronghorn Antelope and Rocky Mountain Mule Deer

We returned home from Mozambique, Africa, checked on our business, did laundry and drove directly to Buffalo, Wyoming from our home in California. This time my husband was able to get some trigger time and he bagged a Pronghorn the first morning. As we headed to town from the ranch where we were hunting, I bagged a dandy, representative buck goat. So both antelope were down before lunch October 1, 2005. The antelope were very plentiful everywhere we traveled in Wyoming. Mine measured just over 14†and my husband’s just over 12â€. They are fairly representative for Wyoming.

At midday the second day of the season, I flushed this 4x4 with eye guards out of a ravine while scouting nooks and crannies on foot. It was a close shot, but he disappeared around the hillside. I expected to find him right there, but it took us about 20 minutes to find him; I was a wreck while we followed the blood trail, until we found him piled up.

The next morning we set up an ambush on four bucks we had seen the previous morning. They had watered in Crazy Woman Creek and were headed back up into the hills. My husband was able to distinguish this 3 x 2 with eye guards as he ridge lined about 75 yds. from our position in the sagebrush.

It had been 90 degrees in Buffalo on our first hunting day and as we roared out of town, 3 days later to make it to Roseburg, Oregon in time for our next hunt, we had 6 inches of snow on the Suburban. I love Wyoming!!!!!

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Beatiful pictures!!
Thanks for sharing them..
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Once again, nice going Darin! The smiles you both have tell all. We nearly passed each other out there!

~Ann

Posts: 19559 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Don't feel any lost love over those antelope.

Wyoming antlelope don't have the longest horns, but there are more Boone and Crocket goats from Wyoming that anyplace else.

With the average Wyoming mass there are tons of 14 inch and even 13 inch goats in the book.

Your goats are fine, don't belittle them by saying the are representative.

Take a look at those goats from Arizona and New Mexico in the top end of the book. They maybe 18 inches long but they lack the mass that the same goat 15 or 16 inches in Wyoming would have.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote