Find
Notify
Tools

Helicopter hog hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted

Me and my uncle Mike with the largest hog we killed using night vision. I had an AR-10 and Mike was shooting an AR-15 in 223. The pig was hit twice on the shoulder with a 308 and 223 and still ran 75 yards.

My uncle Mike. This is the first time he has shot a living creature from a helicopter since he returned form Vietnam in 1969. Mike was a LRRP and the fellow who taught me to hunt and fish. He used to carry me on his shoulders rabbit hunting when I was barely out of short pants.

Me prepared for the mission. I have taken plains game from a helicopter in South Africa. Pigs are more fun.

My buddy Vern. He kissed the ground when he returned. Vern had flown a few drug interdiction missions when he was with the DEA task force a few years ago.

My buddy Chad. Chad is a Gulf War veteran and had ridden helicopters into battle, but had never shot at anything from the air. He is going to return with some Class III stuff and do a demo shoot for these guys.

Myself and 3 buddies just got back for a hog hunt with Cedar Ridge Aviation in Knox City, Texas. We did the helicopter hunt in Robinson 122s. We shot tricked out AR-15s equiped with Eotech sights. That is the most fun you will ever have shooting critters. Our group took 34 hogs and 9 coyotes. We also did a night hunt using a FLIR equiped Suburban to find the hogs and AR-10s equiped with Aries night vision scopes to do the shooting. We killed 24 and a rattlesnake. We also shot dove between the hog hunts and got to shoot clay targets and helium balloons with our rifles. Price of the hunt was 600/hour with a 2 hour minimum, 150/night/person lodging and 250 for the night hunt which include 60 rounds and a night's lodging. Great new lodge, great guys, great food and a ton of hogs and coyotes.

One of the best hunts I have ever done. I couldn't keep from hearing "Flight of the Valkaries" in my head while zapping the porkers.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! That has to go on my list of things to do. Great job.

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Swing by here and pick me up on your way, SkiBump tu2

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Perry,
please bring that whirlybird over here and a lot more than 60 rounds. We could play havoc with the poachers and their dog packs over here Wink

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Nice !!!!.......Should try it on wolves.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
500Nitro,

That would be sporty and not the first time floppies had been shot at from the air in your AO.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PWN

I was at the Post Office today and saw you picture under the Texas Most Wanted.

It seems while it is legal for Texans, and most others to hunt pigs out of a chopper, it is still illegal for Okies to cross the Red River...

Also it is a "family affair", as your brothers picture was also posted, as "Most Wanted" by Cab Drivers.... shocker Big Grin jumping

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Great shoot Perry i wish to be there ,BREING YOUR UNCLE HERE ,YOU KNOW AS AN EX SOLDIER I HAVE A GREAT RESPECT FOR COMBAT VETS.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Perry the carbines are yours ,please tell us what kind of carbines and calibers.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Juan-The guns belonged to the company we hunted with. The AR-15 were customs builds by Black Rain in 223. The AR-10 were equiped with Aries night vision scopes. The ammo we used was Hornaday 75 grain steel match in the 223s and cheap Russian 150 grain in the 308s.

Perry

posted Hide Post
me and some buddies are doing this in late January, must be the same outfit as they supply Black Rain ordances rifles , suburban with heat imaging etc. Glad to see a good report on them, my only concern is the hogs getting educated or shot out before we get to go!

Posts: 50 | Location: Winfield, KS | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I doubt the hogs will ever be able to aviod detection by helicopter regardless what the hogs do and I doubt they will ever shoot them out with 100,000 in the county. They would have to kill 60,000 to reach zero population growth and these guys will only take about 6,000 a year. The hogs will always be found during night hunts because they have to eat sometime.

You will have a good hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perry, again well done.

Personally, I would have used a Double rifle...

Only Fagg#*&s and Sailors named Lawrence, would use an AR 15/AR10...
But since you are an OKIE... shocker Big Grin

Seriously, that had to be fun. tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Doug Kok
posted Hide Post
Boy that sure looks intresting!

Doug Kok

www.dougkoksafari.com
dougkoksafari@zol.co.zw

Posts: 11 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote