New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in India!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many years since was it, that hunting was banned in India?

Is not possible for ANYBODY to hunt like sambar stag in india anymore? Just wondering!

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Jens, hunting was banned in India in the 70’S. There is no legal hunting for big game in India as far as I know.
Sambar in India are totally protected.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aziz!

I was just wondering. I am sure though that not all game in India are close to instinction.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Well you can hunt as many as you like here in Victoria Australia

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting and poaching is live and well in India, just that it is not legal! If you know the right people you can shoot just about anything!

The Indian Govt and powers that be, rather see ALL the game wiped out then have the B _ _ _ _ to fight the anti gunners and legalize hunting.

Posts: 2546 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some states in India allow hunting wild boar, foxes and jackals on crop protection permits. In states like Rajasthan and Haryana the DFO can issue a license for shooting Nilgai but it is only on a case to case basis.

About a year ago the state of Chhatisgarh sold the first licenses for non Indians to hunt wild boar at $ 50 a boar. They may have another sale of permits in the near future. RHB and Lynx would be the members to contact if you need any information.

Incidentally, organised hunting or "shikar" was whatw as banned in 1986, not in the 70s. Hunting to protect crops has always been permitted.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Incidentally, organised hunting or "shikar" was whatw as banned in 1986, not in the 70s. Hunting to protect crops has always been permitted.

Hi Mehul,

You have got me confused now because I think Aziz has got the date right. 1972 was the year in which the Wildlife Protection Act was implemented, though some states still permitted the shooting of some game species until the mid 80's. Is this where the confusion lies? Where's Robin of Locksley when you need him? Wink Am I right in assuming he is our mutual friend from A.P.?

The only species that were permitted to be hunted under Schedule V (Vermin) of the Wildlife Protection Act (1972) were common crow, common fox, fruit bat, jackal, mice, rats and voles. Not sure what the current status is regarding some of them.

1986 was the year when the import of fire-arms were banned barring certain conditions (bringing them back on Transfer of Residence or importing them on the basis of your renowned shot certificates - basically ISSF type target firearms).

Rustam

Posts: 173 | Location: Bangalore, India. | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Salutations from Robin of Locksley and his gang of Merry Men (Some where in Her Majesty's domain).Blimey! Wils't thou be one of the spies of the evil sheriff of Nottingham?Yes, he be the one you are referring to.

As far as I know, all hunting is banned with the passing of Indian Wildlife Act,1972.Not to totally alienate the hunting crowd, they have left alone game species like Blue Rock Pigeon and fieled mice. Probably Mehul knows more on this issue.

The gang of many sends its best from the fair shores of Albion-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 793 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as I know, all hunting is banned with the passing of Indian Wildlife Act,1972.Not to totally alienate the hunting crowd, they have left alone game species like Blue Rock Pigeon and fieled mice.

Dashed sporting of them Big Grin but my four year old copy of the act makes no mention of Blue Rock Pigeon. However, I will take your word for it and not look a gift horse in the mouth. Wink The feral variety is a real pain in the backside.

I don't know if Mehul sent you the Pabla article but in that he says that not all states adhered to all the provisions of the Act when it first came out and that this state of affairs carried on until the mid-80's. I could e-mail said article to you if you wish.

Toodles!

Sherlock. Big Grin

Posts: 173 | Location: Bangalore, India. | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Ye of the Deer Stalker head gear and the cheroot,

No, he didn't send me the Pabla article.He has been rather preoccupied as you know.I would appreciate it if you can send me a copy of it.Otherwise I take it that things are great by you and yours.

I hazard a guess and Think I know how you traced it Cool- Prof.Moriarty.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 793 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On it's way.

It's good to know there are high ranking officials who actually feel hunting and conservation can be mutually beneficial.

Rustam