New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wounded Warrior in Action Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As many of you know each spring I provide a black bear hunt for a purple heart medal recipient (which means you have to be wounded in combat to receive one)
This year I had two hero's in camp thanks to Jeff Janosky a hunter of mine who sponsored a second soldier to come hunting.

The two guys where both outstanding young men, Justin served 5 years as an MP and spent the most of that deployed in Iraq x 2, Afganistan, Bosnia and Somolia. He has 2 purple hearts and only one leg.
Chad, is still active duty infantry and suffered head and back injuries in an IED explosion while deployed in Afganistan.
Chad found out he was chosen for this hunt 3 weeks prior to coming. In order to make it he and his wife scheduled a c-section 10 days early and postponed a scheduled surgery he was to have. Chad also heads out to Germany with his family next week for a three year deployment. Talk about wanting to come!!!

The trip started out poorly with storms in the mid west made both men miss their flights, Justin in fact came in one day late.
The first night 4 hours after Justin's arrival the dogs struck and off we went, fighting our way through swamps and blow downs we reached the tree where Justin saw his first bear ever. It just so happened that his first bear was to be a giant.A good clean kill , a few hugs and high 5's and Justin had his hands on his trophy.

Next it was Chad's turn. We started the next morning hitting the road with the dogs, although we were catching bears and having fun all were sows and young boars.The third day ended with Chad and I pulling the dogs off a big boar bayed up in a spruce swamp at 2:00am. Chad was wondering if he would ever get on a good boar to pull the trigger on. Seven bears caught before Chad had his chance. Chad's bear turned out to be a mean one with a number of dogs getting beat up and the bear getting shot from about 12 feet. Chad really had a story to go home with, a mean bear and a quick well placed shot with new friends there to witness his first bear kill.

the week was a great success but the dogs need a rest, Oscar took advantage of the bears rear end and used it as a pillow.

Tired dogs.

This picture sums up Justin's attitude he loves his country and has no regrets.

This whole hunt was filmed for Flatliners TV and will be aired next year on Pursuit Channel,
Thanks to Scott Stirling and Dan Forty who have the same wish to support all our troops they will be back to film each of the WWIAF hunts here in the future.

Thanks to John McDaniel and www.wwiaf.org for sending such deserving heroe's.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
tu2 patriot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Doug.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Excellent post and congrats to everyone.

Looks like the hunters shot really nice bears and having hunted with your twice, I know they had a great time.

Thanks for hosting these two outstanding young men.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the hunters and to WWIAF and you for giving back. I'm looking forward to hunting with you next year.

salute

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job Doug!

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Doug, thanks for taking these men out for a great hunt! Congrats to them.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, next year we are doing a combined operation with a Canadian and American I am looking forward to it already.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Excellent! People have such a different attitude now than they did after Vietnam. Thanks for doing these hunts. A truly selfless gesture.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zambeziman
posted Hide Post
Good Job-Doug... and Great Job Guys.....

John

Posts: 77 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Chilcotin Hillbilly,

Thanks for doing this, awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing the pics too......Chuck

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the least I can do to help these guys. This year one of my hunters sponsored a second hunter to come. The trip changed him, actually spending time hunting with these hero's and seeing the excitement in their eyes and the smiles on thier faces means a lot.
For most of these hero's it is a once in a lifetime hunt.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug the first bear is a pig.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
necro posting but your words didnt describe enough the hunt.

they just show it on wild tv and wowwww ...

congrats Doug.

Phil

Posts: 1748 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! It's nice to give something back. tu2

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Admirable. Very admirable.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9876 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS clap

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
imust remember that drjuan pablo pozzi zurbriggen md offers free hunts to injured vets and JTEX offered 400us in shells .

Posts: 108 | Location: Cordoba | Registered: 15 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by medved:
necro posting but your words didnt describe enough the hunt.

they just show it on wild tv and wowwww ...

congrats Doug.

Phil[/QUOTE

Phil, it was to bad the filming got put into a bear special. there was a pile of action on that hunt that was cut out.
Justin the guy with that 7'4 bear lost a leg in the swamp heading into the tree. I am surprised that got cut.
I am looking forward to this years hunt with 2 more hero's showing up for black bears.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!

Posts: 98 | Location: N.MI to NE,IN | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote