New
Find
Notify
Tools

.17 HMR for Elk?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
APRIL FOOLS!!!!!.....sorry..I had to do that.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Very Funny, It Is To Laugh. Ha Ha

I know of some folks that would really think about trying it.

On a serious note did you hear about the new proposal here in Texas, by TP&W to implement a beard length restriction on Spring Turkeys?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Havent heard of that but it doesnt supprise me. I think it's going to be much harder to enforce than the antler restrictions they have.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I had a fella at work a couple of years ago tell me that he'd taken a 5 pt bull with one. Hard to believe what people will say or do or try!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Only 17 HMRs with muzzle brakes are legal for elk and only in Figi! Big Grin

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a serious note did you hear about the new proposal here in Texas, by TP&W to implement a beard length restriction on Spring Turkeys?

How are you going to get them to hold still while you get the tape measure out?

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Actually, the ranch I worked on last summer had quite a few elk. They are considered exotics there and therefore there are no caliber minimums and one of the ranchhands shot 2 cow elk with a .17 HMR, right behind the ear.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Actually, the ranch I worked on last summer had quite a few elk. They are considered exotics there and therefore there are no caliber minimums and one of the ranchhands shot 2 cow elk with a .17 HMR, right behind the ear.

So what happened after he shot them?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a serious note did you hear about the new proposal here in Texas, by TP&W to implement a beard length restriction on Spring Turkeys?[/QUOTE]

I emailed the folks at Texas Parks and Wildlife and got a response from Steve Lightfoot from the TPWD New $ Information department and he said that they are not looking at minimum beard standards. Hope that answers your question.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
You actually fell for that? It was a joke, not as good as the one on here on April Fools, but none the less a joke. It was started on another forum I am on, and we got to saying that not only was it going to be beard length, but also tail spread.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In all seriousness, there's been a couple of people busted for "harvesting moose out of season" here in Alaska when they shot moose with pellet rifles and killed the moose. Both cases that I'm aware of, the moose were in people's gardens and the owner shot the moose to scare them off. Two different people, two different moose, two dead moose.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thing is, I wouldnt put it past TPWD for a second to try to do something like that. The more beurocratic they can make things the more jobs security they have.