Notify
Tools

Rio Bonito Ranch
 Login/Join

<338Lapua>
posted
Place: Rio Bonito Ranch

Game Hunted: Hogs/Jack Rabbits/Fishing

My brother and I booked a hunt here, and I cannot reccommend this ranch. It started off by us not getting the guide we had requested, the guide we got was very poor. He was not very good at spotting game and his "helper" was a kid about 15 or 16 years old.

The next thing that happend, we went to take out a boat, since we had paid the $99 a day for fishing and the RECHACHABLE battery on the boat had not been charged as we were told, we were stranded on the lake and had to walk back. The battery was supposed to be charged by the young kid that was our guides "helper".

Everything would not have been so bad, except for the three days we hunted we did not spot one single hog. As a matter of fact the only game we saw was jack rabbits and a single audad. On the good side, the food was great and we killed a few jack rabbits.

This was on of the biggest wastes of money for me. Someone else may of had better luck, but I will not hunt there again.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input. I was considering this ranch among others for Axis,Blackbuck & Audad.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very very much. I just about got sucked into a hunt with them from the video they send. I was going to book an Aoudad hunt, and this would have been my first real pay to hunt type deal. I've since booked with someone else. Video looked good though!!!

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Rich/Jesse

You're welcome. You're right the video is first rate. The "Hacienda style mansion" is nice, but not great. The roads are horribly rough, it got so bad at one point, my brother and I were afraid of bouncing out of the truck. We made the best of our time there, but it still was not up to the prices they charge.

I really don't know what Ted Nugent sees in the place, other than they basically shut it down just for him.

Jim

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Jim-
I hunted Rio Bonito for black buck two years ago. I was a guest on a corporate trip so I didn't pay the bill, but I would have been really unhappy if I had.

The first morning three hunters,including me, and one "guide" got in the truck to go hunting. We left the lodge thinking we were going out just for the morning. Turns out we were hunting on another ranch over 90 miles away.

We got to the new ranch and started hiking the hills looking for antelope. It seems the Rio Bonito had purchased the antelope for transplant but there were several that couldn't be captured. So, we had been sent to kill them in situ.

The black bucks were there and needless to say were quite wild after dodging darts and nets for several weeks. Late morning we headed to the truck to change locations. I asked for a drink of water but lo and behold, no lunches, no water, nothing was packed for us. The "guide" had his canteen though.

Two of my hunting companions drove into the nearest town (30 miles one way)buy drinks and lunch for us. I hunted with the guide and we tried a few stalks on some black bucks. His preferred shot seemed to be a 400 yard running shot. Time and again he admonished me to "bust that fucker". He liked to constantly refer to our quarry as "those fuckers".

I decided I wanted to wait for our lunch delivery and rest up in the shade, alone. Lunch and drinks arrived. Another hunter took my spot with the "guide" and they headed off.

My buddy and I headed off another way and ultimately each of us got an antelope. It was not a trip I would want to repeat.

There were about 10 hunters at the ranch while we were there. We killed four black bucks, no one else killed anything. The ranch is choked with cedar and I saw very little game on the Rio Bonito.

Turkey hunting would probably be ok. I won't go back though.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Forrest,

I am glad I'm not the only one who had a bad time there, you know, the whole misery loves company thing.

I read a sign on the way that is appropriate in cases like this, "Learn from other peoples mistakes, because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself".

Hopefully, Gwyn or someone there will read this and they'll make some changes, if not, oh well, they've lost my business and apparently others as well.

Jim

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
338Lapua,

Is this their website?

http://www.riobonito.com/

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
T.Carr,

Yep, that's them. We got the Unlimited Hogs /Unlimted Fishing 3 day hunt for $695 and added the varmint hunt onto that package.

Jim

[ 07-23-2002, 05:45: Message edited by: 338Lapua ]

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
It appears that the phrase "those fuckers" seems appropriate, although not in reference to antelope. [Wink]

Regards,

Terry

[ 07-23-2002, 05:55: Message edited by: T.Carr ]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JHook>
posted
Boy you gotta be real wary about hunting-promo-videos. Take that from someone who makes them. If a videomaker has no personal character, or isnt a hunter himself, or just doesnt care, he can spin gold out of crap with these computers that just cant be believed.

I have a lot of personal video, from a lot of different people, about a lot of hunting. But I would never use one minute of that video without asking permission, and I wouldnt even ask it. I sure as hell wouldnt use it to promote someone elses business.

And when you watch one of these things you have no idea where it was shot at, or who shot it. They arent a "mass-marketed" kind of thing so some videomakers spin gold from crap useing clips from all kinds of different hunts.

Videos are great tools to sell a business but I would never tell anyone to "go" just cause of the video. Personal references are a must! ; Accept no substitute................J

<1102>
posted
Jim,
Thank you for your input. I was unaware of your dissatisfaction. We need to be made aware of any situations with our guiding staff which fall short of your expectations so immediate changes that need to be made can be made. We strive to do our best to make each customer happy, satisfied, and successful.

Our ranch is fair chase and we cannot guarantee 100% success. However, we have a greater than 85% success rate. We do understand conditions of nature such as atmospheric pressure, position of the moon, excess heat, excess rain, etc., just to name a few, have somewhat of an effect on the movement of game.

Being the experienced hunter you appear to be, I know you are aware of the fact that hunting on 16,000 acres is a bit more challenging than hunting a hundred acre fenced area.

More than 25 spots are held by animals harvested from the Rio Bonito Ranch for the top trophy animals recorded in the Record Book of Exotics.

I extend to you an invitation to return as it is our desire to correct any wrong you feel was done.
Gwen

<338Lapua>
posted
Gwen,

I have hunted in many places and know how the weather etc. effects the hunting. This does not excuse the fact of the boat situation, in which you were made aware of, and of the poor guide service.

For you to state a greater than 85% success rate on hogs is hard for me to believe. My brother and I have actually been there twice and one ~60lb hog, on the previous hunt to this one, was killed for a 25% success rate (if you call the small hog a success). I don't participate in canned hunts, so yes I am aware of hunting on 16,000 acres. The YO Ranch is 40,000 acres and I have never had a problem there.

This also does not make up for the fact that, we were told that soured corn would be batied several days before our arrival, which did not happen as a matter of fact the feeder only went off on my stand 1 of the 3 days and I hunted on 3 different stands (the guide was told this). I understand that the game is not guaranteed, but I should've gotten the guide I asked for, the boat battery should have been charged to prevent us from getting stranded, the soured corn should've been put out as promised, the feeders should've been checked to ensure they are in working order etc. etc.

We hunted all night and, as stated before, killed a few Jack Rabbits (which was a blast) despite the kid who was holding the light not knowing how to spot game, but never saw a hog. We had to literally kick the back of the truck to get the guide to stop so we could shoot the rabbits.

As you can see in the post above by ForrestB, I am not the only one to have problems there.

I appreciate the offer to return, but as I am sure this is not a free offer, I will spend my money elswhere. If you wish to discuss this further, you may e-mail me at jhendri2@msn.com or we can discuss it further here for the benefit of the membership of this forum.

Jim

[ 07-26-2002, 00:24: Message edited by: 338Lapua ]

<338Lapua>
posted
I expected this, but wanted to let all of the forum know. It has been 1 week and the Rio Bonito or Gwen has not responded with a post and I have not received an e-mail. This shows how much they care about the customer.

Jim

<Bily Lovec>
posted
thanks for keeping us informed about your situation...

[ 08-01-2002, 20:54: Message edited by: R Waller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you guys want some hogs, javalina, Bobcats and Coyotes, even deer then I can fix you up and you will not be disapointed...

the Ranch is near Del Rio, Texas and that must be near where you are talking about.. Venado Grande Ranch, Peter Dunn, owner...Big Bucks and they do have some mighty big bucks, but they are expensive...

But for a great off season hog hunt this place is the best I have seen...

2 doe and 2 Hogs, 2 days guided: $399. (deer in season only, Nov. to Jan.)

Unlimited Hogs and 1 Javalina, 2 days guided: $395

Child under 18 $99.00

Stay in lodge and furnish your own food and cook for yourself or arrangements can be made for a cook.

YOU WILL KILL...Unless you just can't shoot.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JUST ANOTHER REASON WHY SAEED'S SITE IS SO GREAT I SAW TEXAS TROPHY HUNTERS SHOW THIS WEEK AND GUESS WHO THE SPOTLIGHT WAS ON THE RIO BONITO AND THE MOON PHASE WHEEL NOW WE KNOW BOTH SIDES OF THE STORY, ALTHOUGH I AM REALLY IMPRESSED BY THE MANAGER WRITING TO EXTEND AN INVITATION TO MAKE UP FOR A BAD HUNT I BELIEVE THIS FORUM WILL SAVE PEOPLE LOTS OF MONEY BASED UPON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

<2nd Amendment>
posted
Mr. Atkinson,

You have a private message.

[ 08-07-2002, 20:03: Message edited by: 2nd Amendment ]

<firemen>
posted
We were there in 95 and the same old song and dance.We had NO boats to fish from the truck broke down by the gate and we walked back 5 or 6 miles because they did not have 2 way radios.9 OUT OF THE 10 FEEDERS DID NOT WORK.The guilds were drunks and did not wake up 2 days in a row.We were asked to help put out hog bait to hunt that night only to find out there were guys from co coming in and they hunted all the sites we baited.GO ELSE WERE TEXAS IS A BIG STATE.

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Rio bonito seems to be a qualified racketering place without any limits. I love this forum that keeps the scum off. "bust that fucker" Yes, Rio Bonito Ranch have been busted [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I hope there are some serious fellows in Texas too and not only drunk red necks and hill billys trying to grap your wallet. I had plans on doing some exotics in texas while visiting friends. Does any one has any good tips to give ?

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan:

Perhaps it is a translation problem, but if you come to Texas with the preconceived idea that is is full of drunks, red necks, and hillbillys then you are very likely not going to have a good visit. We enjoy a few drinks and a good time and good friends(think Barbeque), but if you think we can't be serious then you will find out differently I'm sure. And, we don't have any native hillbillys, they are all imports. [Smile] [Smile]

Unless your friends are knowledgeable hunters and have personal recommendations for an exotic game hunt, then I would highly recommend that you contact some of the posters who specialize in that on this forum. Otherwise, you may be shooting a newly bought goat somewhere. There are at least as many poor game ranches as good ones in my estimation.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gatogordo

I have already been to Texas, two times. Rio bonito ranch story can make some european belive that all texans are all that [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Both you and I know it ain't true. Yeah, all the rednecks and hill billys are from the nothern states. All texans tell me that [Wink]

BBQ is one of my favorites, don't mention that any more, I'll take a bite of the computer keyboard

I have heard both good and bad about ranch hunting, depends on the ranch regardless of it's location. I guess the best is to check with the local riflenuts about were to and not to.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank god this thread came up! I was attracted to the Rio Bonito a while back because they are, as I understand from a booking agent, not game fenced and have Ibex hybrids runnning around the unfenced portion of the ranch. I nearly sent in a deposit a few months ago but am now looking to book in Mongolia for the "real deal". Thanks to all for their postings!

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<firemen>
posted
Sorry did not mean to inply that texens are drunks just the 2 guilds alex and joe who were the 2 biggest BS artist around.

<JOHAN>
posted
Johnthegreek

If you want to hunt Ibex you can go to Turkey, Kirgizia, Austria or other countries. Why Mongolia? I have a friend who went to Iran, really great and hard hunting. They have a whole range of sheeps, gazelles and the famous ibex.

The YO-ranch in Texas are suposed to have some good Ibex hunting.

firemen, I have been to Texas more than once. If commyfornia and NY would have the same attitude towards guns and hunting USA would be a heck of lot better for riflenuts [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

[ 08-19-2002, 01:05: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JOHAN,

Being from Crete, I would most love to hunt them there in the Samaria Gorge. I have no desire, however, to find myself in a Greek jail as they are a very strictly protected species there. [Smile]
I have found Mongolia to be the best bargain in Ibex hunting and the Altai Ibex is the largest in the world. I looked at Turkey, Iran, Austria, and Spain and all offered hunts that were priced nearly double what 10 days in Mongolia will cost. As for hunting the YO, I think Ibex is one of those species that I could fly and hunt in their native habitat for what it would cost me to go to texas for. Texas seems to be the land of the $5000 trophy fee for non-hybrid ibex.

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Johan,

I lived in Texas for over two years, and have met a lot people from all over Texas, and every single one of them were gracious, generous and very friendly.

Even those from Lousiana were not bad either [Wink]

The best part is people from the Southern part of the US seem to have a great sense of humor - otherwise they would probably not have put up
with an uneducated Beduin like myself [Big Grin]

Posts: 66995 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Saeed

I have relatives in Texas. I have been there. Were just playing around with them for a while, I think they got it [Wink]

So, our host have been living in Texas. Cowboy school? How did you like the barbeque. I think it is fantastic. There is some really nice hunting in texas and the weather is right too [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

JohntheGreek, Sorry for insulting you. I didn't knew that your alias was that true [Eek!]
I guess it's not very good to travel to turkey and beeing from Crete.

/ JOHAN

[ 08-19-2002, 21:10: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Being from the greatest state in the South, I am curious...where did you live when you were here?

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

I was there in 1983, and I lived in Clear Lake, right next to the Space Center.

I was doing a commercial pilots course out of Hobby, and spent a lot of time at the Greater Houston Gun Club and Baily's House Of Guns.

The Bailys and myself became very good friends.

We used to travel around shooting trap, and I met our friend Gatogordo when he lived in Shreveport, Lousiana. We shot a lot of trap at that club, and the folks there always made us welcome as old friends.

I started shooting trap, and with quite a bit of luck, managed to win a few trophies. Including the Texas State Championship, the Champion of Champions while representing Texas at the Grand American Trap Shoot at Vandalia in Ohio, and the American Doubles Championship too.

I was the first person in the history of trap to be Rookie of The Year and make the All-American Trap Team. I think I was also the first Rookie to finish the year with a 99% average on singles.

I think I set a few records then, but not sure if they still stand or not. In addition to the above, I made the 27 yards line after shooting 1300 targets, in less than two months, and ended my second year as the Texas State Trap Team Captain (I think?)with a 99.5% average on singles.

Makes you wonder why we miss some targets sometimes?

Posts: 66995 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johann,

No offense taken. I have several Turkish friends who I went to school with and we routinely kid one another about the age old rivalry. I once invited some turkish friends to a party and joked that they were invited only if they promised not to seek US support to occupy my home. [Wink]
I would gladly hunt in Turkey if I could afford it. Interstingly, even if I had a Greek passport I could travel in Turkey. It is Greece that will not honor a Turkish passport.

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

<Doc in Texas>
posted
Mr.Saeed, you are always welcome here in the great state of Texas, I have some frieds that think they Shot with you back in 84 but they have drink way to many beers and ate to much BBQ to realy active brain cells. If you get a chance to come back you are very welcome to. There is a lot of us Texicans that would like to spend some time just chewing the fat.

I know Texas is not the plains of Africa, but we do have some great hunting here.

Doc in Texas

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Interesting Saeed, I had no idea you were a pilot too. (I received my instrument and commercial certificate in '94.) Do you still fly much?

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Thank you very much for the invite, I always look forward to getting back "home" to Texas. I found that us Beduins have a lot in common with you [Smile]

I don't think we ever had a dull moment there. It is just as bad here with Walter around.

Wendell,

No sir, I stopped fliying about 10 years ago.

Our country is so small you can fly across it in an hours or so in a helicopter.

We used to have fun flying Jet Rangers, especially down mountain passes as we followed the winding roads. I think we must had some sort of death wish, thank God he felt petty on us and safed our bacon.

Walter flew with me once in a Cessna 182 once, and in a helicopter once. He says it ias bad anough getting in a car with me.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post

[ 10-15-2002, 01:13: Message edited by: judgeg ]

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Bighorn Hunting 1>
posted
Now that we have the butt chewing taken care of I would like to say thanks for the reports on the ranches. My wife and I are guides and outfitters and the reasion we are in the business is because we got tired of getting a raw deal on hunting ranches. We hunt a lot of ranches that are high fenced but by no means are they canned hunts. If you hunt with me you can bet you will hunt your butt off. We offer over 35 different exotics and are shooting 100% for the last several years.One of our main goals is to have a fair chase hunt and the hunter go home with only good memories. Oh, by the way This home grown Texan Does not allow booze of any kind on our hunts or at the lodges. If you want a good hunt with a good sucess rate email us. I hope this forum keeps up the good work on reporting the bad eggs.