New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stasney's Cook Ranch / Whitetails Galore
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sadie and I just spent 2 weeks in TX and some of the time was on the Cook ranch in Albany.

Let me get right to the punch line. No I didn't get a monster buck but that is not the story. We passed on a 150+ ten point and a 140+ eight point. It was my choice so I have no complaints.

The story is that this place does no advertising and doesn't need to. Some of the clients at the ranch were back for their 13th year. It really is that good!

We hit the height of the rut and could have shot multiple 125-135 ten points each day. the ranch is not high fenced except for 2800 acres that they just started to hunt this year. The rest of the 26000 acres is real rough TX cow country. In fact the high fenced area is the ugliest mesquite cactus jungle you have ever seen. The deer herd is only enhanced by a few very small food plots and the buck to doe ratio is incredible.

I did shoot a 125, 6 yr. old buck that the guide made a mistake on. When the guide says "Shoot that one" what does a guy do? He just made a mistake and I don't blame him at all.

They don't say it up front but if you want a turkey and a hog you can take them at no extra charge and I did get a beautiful gobbler (my first)and a big, nasty, old boar.

The food, hospitality, quality of guides etc. was all top notch. I would highly recommend the hunt. If anyone is interested send me an e-mail and I'll give you contact details.

The rest of the time was spent visiting with friends and hunting deer, turkey and quail on a friends property. We were successful on all fronts.

I'd like to thank one of the AR members Jerry Huffaker for all his help in coordinating this trip and to say that our visit with him and his wife was one of the high points of our trip.

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you post an address or website?

Thanks Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Here is a link:

Stasney's Cook Ranch

Regards,

Terry

P.S.
I would be careful, if Mark likes Jerry, he must not be a very good judge of character. [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]

[ 12-09-2002, 04:53: Message edited by: T.Carr ]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote