Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
Hunt: Fallow Does
Place: McCulloch County, Texas
Ranch: RockinP
December 18-20, 2009

I have not gotten the girls out into the field like I should, so I figured I better try harder this year. I arranged a trip for some exotics with a member on another board (Shannon Richter), and he and his brother (Chad) put together a good weekend for me and my girls.

I picked up the girls after an early release from school last Friday, ran by the house to pack, and pointed the truck Southwest. The drive went faster than I expected and a little over four hours later we made it to the ranch.

Shannon was at the gate when we arrived and we followed him to the lodge, got unpacked, and had a great dinner (the food was always good and there was more than enough). Next morning my two older girls went out in search of a fallow doe or two. The sunrise was spectacular.

Later I saw the local Scimitar-Horned Oryx. These are just a few of them.

Later that day Shannon and the girls caught up with some of the fallow and managed to take two chocolate does.

It was the first for my middle daughter.

The next day we had to pack up and head back to the city, but stopped for a quick picture before heading out.

Shannon and Chad really went the extra mile to make sure we were comfortable and had a successful and enjoyable trip, and the facilities were all excellent.

It was great to get away for a while and the girls and I all enjoyed it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a successful hunt. Also, looks like you are raising three great young huntresses. Good for you passing on our great sport.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was a great time!

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Time well spent thumb

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a cool dad for taking the time out for something like that with your daughters.
Very cute girls and some beautiful pics of the scenery.
You're a lucky dad!

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I all too often get busy and fail to make time for the really important things.

I should mention that the girls used my (or is it my dad's...) Pre-64 Featherweight Model 70 in .243 with Fed Premium 100-grain Partitions, thanks to Jim Kobe who took the time to replace the hard-as-a-brick vintage recoil pad for me.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
First of all, you are a blessed man! You have a beautiful family!

These are the times that your girls will remember for a lifetime!

There is a family that I have hunted with for years and every fall they take their kids out of school for about a week and a half and they would all come hunt with me in Wyoming. They would visit museums on the way out and the kids would do their homework when they were traveling in the truck. I was able to help 3 generations of this family harvest their best buck. They are as close as families come

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir -- I have been given far more than I deserve.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done nothing better than hunting with family!! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 207 | Location: new york | Registered: 23 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb thumb thumb

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Gato posted plus one!

There is no better hunting than with your wife and/or children. Wait until you get to the stage where you get to take grandkids!! Even better.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lol! They must have gotten their looks from their mother.

Wink

Great pictures, Charles.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
Lol! They must have gotten their looks from their mother.

Man I hope so! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Charles, very nice family.

Weidmannsheil!

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Nice job getting them on some animals!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cogratulations to you and your daughthers on a great hunt. Looks like everyone had fun.

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Thanks. I all too often get busy and fail to make time for the really important things.

I should mention that the girls used my (or is it my dad's...) Pre-64 Featherweight Model 70 in .243 with Fed Premium 100-grain Partitions, thanks to Jim Kobe who took the time to replace the hard-as-a-brick vintage recoil pad for me.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this rifle isn't yours or your dads any more.

I don't know which daughter it now belongs to, but I guarantee it's not going to be you! rotflmo

P.S. Congrats to everyone on the hunt!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the positive response. I have to add that I visited Kuby's here in Dallas last week and we are currently enjoying the fruits of the hunt.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this rifle isn't yours or your dads any more.

I don't know which daughter it now belongs to, but I guarantee it's not going to be you! rotflmo

P.S. Congrats to everyone on the hunt!

That's okay with me -- but let's hope they come up with a civilized why to decide it!

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they will. It will probably be that one gets the rifle, and then you'll have to buy the other 2 some stuff, which may or may not be hunting related. Smiler

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Too late -- I already bought them all jewelry at the DSC convention. That counts, right? Confused

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed your post and your photos. I am sure the girls will remember the hunt forever.

Way to go!

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Charles,

Congrat to you and the girls!! What a great hunting outing for all of you!

I will second the thanks for Mom's genes.......

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen!