Find
Notify
Tools

Short Notice Estonian Boar Hunt January 2013
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Dates: 1st February to 4th February 2013 (with additional dates to follow in February and March 2013)
Outfitter: Athina Sporting,High Street, West Wickham, Kent. UK

www.AthinaHuntingTours.com

Accommodation: Single and shared rooms in traditional hunting lodges
Rate: £850 INCLUDING 2 BOAR FOR EACH HUNTER OF ANY QUALITY
This is a four-day hunt for 6-10 hunters for wild boar over a 10,000 hectare open forest area in Estonia.
We will be teaming up with local guides and dog handlers to hunt wild boar on foot during the day and from high towers at night. The boar population is currently very high, so there is a chance of some excellent sport.
During the day, we will use dogs to track and flush the boar, with some of the hunting team positioned to shoot them on the run and some to close in for a close shot if the dogs are holding the boar in the cover. This form of hunting is very exciting, with a lot of movement, close encounters with wild boar and the need for rapid shots – if you want to follow the dog handlers in the woods, then you’ll need to be fairly fit. In the evenings and early mornings, we will sit out in the large number of high towers to look for boar at feeding areas and on tracks and forest clearings.
Day 1: Arrive at Tallinn Airport and transfer 55km to the hunting lodge and grounds. That evening (Time allowing) we will use the towers to look for and shoot boar.
Day 2: We will hunt boar over dogs during the day and use the tower stands in the evening. There will be a chance to indulge in the Estonian / Finnish obsession for sauna (bitter experience tells me this is also likely to involve extreme heat, much vodka and a certain amount of snow rolling or lake plunging!)
Day 3: We will hunt boar over dogs during the day and use the tower stands in the evening. There will probably be a repeat of the sauna experience for the more hardy amongst us.
Day 4: In the morning, flight times allowing, we will use the high stands. Following that, we will depart for the airport.
Following European Union accession, taking rifles to Estonia is very straightforward for hunters travelling from the UK or other EU states, needing only the European Firearms Passport. For hunters travelling from outside the EU, organising permits takes 4-6 weeks and a small government fee usually applies. For hunters not wishing to travel with firearms, we can arrange for suitable rifles and ammunition to be available locally at a rate of £30 per day.
We can advise you on suitable clothing and kit, as well as rifles and scopes – it is likely to be very, very cold in late January and you need to be prepared for shooting both running large game and at night.

The price includes:

Two full and two half hunting days
Three meals in a day (alcohol is not included)
Full-board hunting accommodation
Hunting guides
Transport during the hunting
Estonian hunting licence
2 wild boar included per hunter
Sauna (!)

The price does not include:

Plane tickets or transport to Estonia
Taxidermy and delivery of trophies
Trophy fees for additional wild boar:

(Additional price is in Euros by weight )
Up to 39.9kg - £75
40 to 49.9kg - £175
50 to 69.9kg - £290
70kg + - £400
· Alcohol

Please contact us at info@athinahuntingtours.com or adam@athinahuntingtours.com

[IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/adamant_album/Estonia%20boar%20hunt%202013/Esttower2.jpg [/IMG]

[IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/adamant_album/Estonia%20boar%20hunt%202013/Estlodge2a.jpg [/IMG]

[IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/adamant_album/Estonia%20boar%20hunt%202013/Estboarlarder.jpg [/IMG]

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam.270
posted Hide Post
Six places have now been filled on this hunt, leaving two spare places - let me know if you are interested.

The snow and cold weather has set in properly over there now and the game cameras are showing a lot of boar in the area, including plenty of good keilers, plus they've shot several European Lynx on the driven hunts so far this year. It is shaping up to be a good hunt...

A.

Posts: 186 | Location: UK | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,
i`m not saying that, its not true, a several European Lynx is shot during the driven hunt in 10000 hectar hunting area?
The minimum size of area, that you can have a Lynx permit in Estonia, is 15000 hectar!
So,what about shootable boars, are they all
available to shoot?
If you shoot a sow, is there any penalty/fine by that?
But still, i`m interested.
Kodiak

Posts: 12 | Location: Finland | Registered: 21 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam.270
posted Hide Post
Sorry Yatzy - I've only just spotted your post.

As I understand it, the area we are hunting in this time is a 10,000 hectare division of a much larger hunting area. Some of the previous hunts have involved 30+ hunters and have been able to cover a much larger area than we will manage with a small group.

There are no restrictions on the boar on this hunt - any animal can be shot- as it is difficult to be selective in a driven hunts of any kind, particularly when it is the first time some of the hunters will have hunted wild boar anywhere. Only deer are off the menu this time, as the local deer population has suffered badly in previous winters and the numbers need to build back up to sustainable levels.

Any participants wanting to shoot trophy boars will have an opportunity for selective shots when using the tower stands.

Adam.

Posts: 186 | Location: UK | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote