Tools

Australian Buffalo Cull
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GunsmokeAdventures
posted Hide Post
Yep a fun week with 3 AR members who finished up yesterday

Mike shot 110 buffalo in 7 days
Mark and Kieran were shooting 2x1 and shot 103 buffalo in 5 days.

I took all 3 of the boys out hunting 3x1 one day with me. This was our biggest daily score yet. We managed 81 buffalo and 12 hogs that day on its own.

Good shooting boys !

Info@gunsmokeadventures.com.au
+61438860510

Posts: 93 | Location: Darwin, Australia  | Registered: 21 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barry:
I call BS on this brag, NO PICS to back it up with.
Come on man, surely someone of you can "prove it". Sounds like one hell of a war zone. Last I heard it was taking 3 shots each to kill 'em 'dead". How many of you helped carry ammo for these guys? haha!

Should have my .358U/m this week. A month late, but, I haven't been in shape to play with it yet anyway. Sure be nice to fondle it though.

Thanks for the reports, That's a barrel burning shoot. Kinda like we do on prairie dogs over here.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi George,
I am sure Mike and mark will post some photos and maybe a report on their hunt.

ammo supplies were kept up by reloading in camp

Mark learned the hard way and ran out of ammo on the first day before lunch. He only took 50 rounds and we had to go back to camp for lunch and restock. On the day we shot 81 buff and 12 hogs Mike ran out of ammo and became an observer for the last part of the afternoon.

+61438860510

Posts: 93 | Location: Darwin, Australia  | Registered: 21 July 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
George: With that many buffalo shot, picture taking was secondary. I will post some when I figure out how. Barry is telling it straight, I never had so much shooting except on prairie dogs, as you said. It is still hunting tho, we had a slow day after the big shoot and only shot 11 the day after. The day of the big shoot, we shot thirty some out of one mob. Yes, I ran out of ammo on my belt and had to resupply at the buggy, my belt holds 36 rounds. Mike,Kieran and I split up about 100yds. apart and shot for what seemed like 30 minutes, then went in to mop up wounded buffalo. After that we took some photos then headed back for the buggy. We all scanned around several times until we were sure all buffalo were dead. We had walked maybe 40 yards with me in the lead and Barry 2nd, I look up and here comes a buffalo running full out, right at me! My rifle is over my shoulder but luckily I'm within 2 steps of a large mopane tree, which I quickly duck behind. I'm getting my rifle down to shoot while I'm adding the insurance of the tree. Still not ready to shoot in that precious 1.2 seconds when the buffalo comes by the tree at about 4 feet. Next thing I feel is the concussion of a 470 nitro on my side and boom, boom, Barry rolled it ass over appetite. We both looked at each other and said at the same time, " where did that one come from?". We also got in on that group of 12 pigs, when the sound of WWIII was over we had 12 pigs on the ground, no escapees, what a hoot! We shot a few wild cattle that the aboriginals wanted to eat, but on top of that I met some good people, ate well, had a very good hunt, and had the best time ever! After I rebarrel my worn out 375, I intend to go back.

Posts: 5 | Location: Kansas, USA | Registered: 07 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
sounds familiar

as bad as last year

talked to mike on the phone last night he reported much the same

seems his count was a bit more than I have been reporting at 112 for the week

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good going guys. You did much better than our group of 4 did this past May. We rounded out at an even 150 as most of us ran out of ammo except for a few rounds we kept, just in case.

Barry offers the most unique opportunity for true shooters like ourselves. Hopefully, it will be available again next year.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 619 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll do a little hunt report later, but for now I'll just say the hunt is raw, it's real, may be available into the future. If it is, I've got my dates picked. I've been on cull
hunts where the take ran into the hundreds before; but to do the same thing on buffalo borders on surreal.

Just for the sake of accuracy; my take was
111. The 112th was actually a meat animal taken the previous week on a different hunt. The count on the 3 x 1 day is a little blurry, its hard to know when you're downing someone else's hit animals or when they are finishing yours. In the grand scheme of things, I don't suppose it matters much.

My single best day was 29, and best single shoot-up was 14 and a pig that wandered into the killing field for reasons known only to him. We spotted that bunch immediately after returning to the wagon after a shoot-up of a seven on the other side of the trail.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That last shot is a PRIMO one with Johnny tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
Gunsmoke, a great opportunity for safari hunters to practice their craft. But, the meat not being used and essentially discarded, I dont think I can bring myself to do it. If there is any way to salvage the meat and send it to vietnam etc, i'm your man

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If meat salvage and a market for it was viable then the culling opportunity wouldn't be there.

As it stands (for the moment) the options are shoot them from the ground or the government shoots them from a chopper.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to do this hunt. Unfortunately I spent 18 days elk hunting and have more vacation in November. Are there any other dates and are you going to offer in future? How much to bring non hunters?

Thanks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gunslinger, At present it looks as though we will be able to offer similar hunts next year. As soon as I am able I will provide our 2015 options and dates

+61438860510

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a Ton I am very interested. Are these approx. same dates? Bidding for vacation now
quote:
Originally posted by GunsmokeAdventures:
Hi Gunslinger, At present it looks as though we will be able to offer similar hunts next year. As soon as I am able I will provide our 2015 options and dates

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you sir. PM sent.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me know if/when you get dates for this in 2015. Looking at Sept for me
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Thanks a Ton I am very interested. Are these approx. same dates? Bidding for vacation now
quote:

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Hi Barry

A couple of PM's sent. I'm supposed to be down for August 16-20. Haven't heard back. Please reply. Thanks!

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
barry is in great britain for a few days so out and about

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up sir tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

posted Hide Post
Are these hunts available for 2015? If so can you forward some detailed info? I tried calling but got a fax machine. Thanks.

Posts: 13 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all, i will be back at the begining of feb and hope to update you on any available openings for 2015 on my return

+61438860510

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Graves
posted Hide Post
I am very interested in doing this trip.

Any updates on what's available for 2015?

Posts: 56 | Location: United States | Registered: 11 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please PM me when you have information on your 2015 cull hunts. Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
barry is working on new ground

news soon

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
What happened to the 'old ground'?

Lead contamination from all the shooting? Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Legend has it that a ghost herd roams the swamp, seeking to wreak a terrible vengeance on those whose names cannot be spoken. So sayeth the ancients.

Some legends are older than others; that one is hot off the presses but is showing a lot of potential. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am interested in 2016 dates. Big disappointment on my hunt this year, need more "excitement"

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
gunslinger55, why the disappointment?

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunslinger was disappointed with his hunt somewhere else
He didn't hunt with us yet .....but I am thinking he is hoping to in 2016

+61438860510

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Severe weather problem in AK and not a single Grizz to even look at. Kinda disappointing but I'll be back lol
quote:
Originally posted by HARDBALLER:
gunslinger55, why the disappointment?

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me know info on cull hunt I am interested
quote:
Gunslinger was disappointed with his hunt somewhere else
He didn't hunt with us yet .....but I am thinking he is hoping to in 2016

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
o tho pediatric surgeon and fighter pilot want to do the hunt i did can we set it iup