Notify
Tools

South African Challenge Hunt.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi all,

As part of the launch of our new agency we are offering a one week hunt to challenge the South African PH's at their own game between the 7th August to 15th August 2010.

Each year in RSA the various hunting chapters have a national hunting competition, and what started as some light hearted banter round he Brai last year has become the first South African Challenge Hunt this August where we will organise international teams of three to challenge the PH's on their own ground..

We have 15 spaces, (some already taken) to be made up of five teams of three for a nine day long hunt where you will hunt with a shotgun and rifle and compete on the range. We would like the teams to be made up of a variety of countries if possible to give the event as international a flavour as possible. The break down of time on the hunt will be as follows:

One day Wingshooting ducks and possibly doves/pigeons.

Two Days Plains Driven/Stand Hunting.

Two and a half days bush hunting on foot.

One day of range shooting for shotguns, hunting rifle and .22LR

The remainder of the time will be days of arrival and departure and a day in the middle for moving location. A full itinerary is avalable by e-mail, along with the rule book and the sample targets for practicing.

The challenge will be to beat the top two south african PH teams at their own game and have a lot of fun in the process. One South african team will be the top national team, and the scond team will be made up of their top, range shooter, rifle hunter and shotgun hunter. We have a substantial prize fund with a week long safari & four plains game animals included, being the top prize for the over all (international) winner. There are also six section prizes that will be listed in due course when the details are finalised each carrying a prize or silverware. The Challenge cup itself will be a single cup going to the top team each year (we hope to repeat this annually!! )and is the basis for the competition against our hosts.

Total cost for the package will be £875 per competitor. This is the subsidized rate and includes all contributions to the prize fund. Most of the prizes , (apart from the challenge cup itself) will be only available to the non south African teams.

Animals shot that are not on the competition list (Impala, Warthog and Blesbuck), will still be eligible for scoring to the competition and will be priced at a subsidized rate. This will be the full trophy fee less the value of the meat, so if you estimate a discount of about 40% from normal fees that should be a good guide. Of course exact prices can't be given until the carcass is on the scales but I will be getting an indicative list for guidance on this in advance.

Non hunting partners are able to join us for £110/day to include all the transfers/accommodation/food etc.

Single room supplement for accommodation will be £50/day if you don't want to share a room.

If you wish to fly out of London on the 6th I can speak to Virgin or BA to get a discount on a group booking and we can get you visitors permits for your rifles to get them into the UK. Alternatively we will aim to connect to the Virgin flight on the evening of the 6th August.

Additional hunting, tours etc can be arranged for the week following or preceding the competition and we have the capability to store rifles so you do not need to be travelling with them around RSA unless you are hunting.

Any questions then just let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Package Includes:

• All transfers between arrival and departure at Johannesburg Airport.
• Pre arranged rifle import permit.
• Shared Accommodation on nights as detailed in the itinerary. (Single Supplement available)
• Breakfast/Brunch & Dinner.
• Soft drinks, Local beer and wine within reason.
• Carcass Recovery from the field.
• Trophy fees for up to four eligible animals, (Impala, Warthog, & Blesbuck)
• Trophy preparation, Scoring (according to competition rules NOT CIC)
• Local Team Sponsor services for guidance and advice in trophy estimation.
• Eligibility to prize fund.

Package Does Not Include:

• International Airfare
• Accommodation/Hunting before or after the prescribed hunting dates.
• Spirits or excessive beer or wine consumption.
• Ammunition for Sighting in, hunting or range competition.
• Specially reduced trophy fees for species not included on the list, (All other species stipulated on the day of the competition may be hunted but at an additional cost to the individual hunter as per a predetermined pricelist).
• Tips for Skinners or recovery crews
• Transportation of trophies to taxidermist, or taxidermy work post field prep.

A few of the guys here on AR know Dennie and his operation and we hope this event can give people the chance to come out to Africa and experience a small taste of what it has to offer without breaking the bank.

For a full itinerary along with the rule book and official range targets send an email to the address below. Spaces will be allocated on a first come first served basis.

We are in the process of finalising our website so details are not available ther just yet, so we apologise for any inconvenience, however I felt this was too good an opportunity to sit on!! Smiler

Best Rgds,
Kiri
Tel: 0044 7930 536386
Email: info@athinahuntingtours.com

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
HI all,

Because I was queried off the forum, I just wanted to make it clear that the price of £875 INCLUDES all trophy fees for upto four animals made up from the eligable species, (Impala, Blesbuck and Warthog).

Trophies may be kept by the hunters but the cost of transportation has not been included. however we will endeavour to do this at a minimal cost on a group basis.

The reason for thew such low price is because the South African Hunting chapters wish to create an annual event through us that will allow more people to experience South Africa, and so they are subsidising it with the group purchasing discounts they get from the ranches that host their domestic events.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Best regards,
Kiri

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
I have to check my diary, but what about a Namibian team to go and whip some SA PH ass... Anyone interested? Francois, you in?

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1334 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Kiri,

I am going to be in Zim working as a camp manager for the 2010 season (I leave for Harare on April 5). I might be able to get a few days off for this spirited competition.
Being an American, I would be happy to participate, if a group is looking for an extra...

Thanks,

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted Hide Post
I'm in!

Better work on species I.D - would be embarrassing to come back with a goat or a dog instead of a blessbuck etc eh?

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Dig,

I'm sure even you would know a goat when you see one...

Allout, I'll see how the teams pan out but I'm sure we can fit you in. Any preference on country? Wink

Rgds,
Kiri

One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted Hide Post
How about the British & Irish Lions? I qualify on both counts.

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Allout, I'll see how the teams pan out but I'm sure we can fit you in. Any preference on country? Wink

Kiri,

No preference. I was born and raised in the US. I have strong Irish and Scottish bloodlines - and a little German and American indian mixed in for some crazy reason (about 75% Irish though...). I am sadly, just a mutt. So I fit about anywhere and sometimes nowhere.

But keep me in mind.

Regards,

Brian

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going to be in Zim working as a camp manager for the 2010 season

The thought of that bites for so many of the rest of us. Some guys have all the luck!

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
quote:
I am going to be in Zim working as a camp manager for the 2010 season

The thought of that bites for so many of the rest of us. Some guys have all the luck!

It sure didn't feel like luck when I was dismissed (the result of a conspiracy) from my previous employer (5 years there) in early February. But I won't even begin to tell you I don't feel very lucky given the situation I find myself in as a result.

I guess you just have to be willing to give up everything you have ever known, liquidate all your assets, and move to a foreign country where you are the minority to work 12 - 18 hours per day for literally no pay (other than maybe tips and anything the operator decides to throw my way). But I digress.

That said, I believe it is the chance for the adventure of a lifetime and I am going to soak up every second of it. For those of you who are interested, you will be able to live vicariously (limited, but nonetheless...) through me. All you need do is sign up for African Exepedition Magazine.

Regards,

Brian

One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted Hide Post
Hey Kiri

How many teams are signed up so far?

I'm off to practise shooting a .22 at 200 yards !!??

www.vintageguns.co.uk

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
We have two teams confirmed and a couple of singles looking to join forces with someone who wants to have some fun.

I will be posting the prize list soon as it is finalised. Hoping this week before I travel again. It will be more like a raffle than a prize list as everyone will be in with a shot. The competition is just an excuse for a week in RSA to have some fun and launch the new venture.

Rgds,
K

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I'm in, sign me up for Team amateur UK.

I promise not to bring any ringers. Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Karl,

I spoke to the guys in RSA and they are interested in opening a Namibian chapter of their organisation, so a team from Namibia would be a great idea.

Rgds,
K

One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted Hide Post
I think Craig should be in our team instead of Amir, who is clearly deer repellent.

One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted Hide Post
Looks like we have a Saudi team almost complete - Abdullah and his mate - think we can find another one?

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Very good.

We are waiitng for sposoprship deatils from some big names to come through and the filming has been arranged so all our AR friends will be able to see what we have done.

Time is getting a bit short but it looks like the finishing line is in view and plenty of fun should be had by all.

Rgds,
FB

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Kiri,

Can you please provide some feedback on the status of the final planning for this hunt?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi Andrew,

Your timing is perfect as I'm putting together all the paperwork for the import permits to send to RSA right now and I have just sent the deposits over there an hour ago.

We had one amendment to the proceedings as PHASA at the last minute did not give us the exemption on the PH accompanying the client rule that we were told was OK, so now the hunters will have a PH with them, but they will pretty much hunt for themselves with only vital input being provided by the PH's as required.

We have also been plagued with last minute cancellations and a major gun maker that was sponsoring prizes has also pulled out in the last three days after promising three guns as prizes. However despite the adversities that I'm sure all agents and outfitters are well versed with Wink , we are pushing on with what is shaping up to be a great event.

We currently have 5 teams competing who are confirmed, and I have made up the prize fund myself to include a week long safari all (local) expenses paid, for the lucky international winner. I have also provided silverware for 6 individual classes and all participants to get some memorabilia so no one goes home empty handed. An English Gunsmith is making the challenge trophy itself, to be a sculpted out of an old set of Double Rifle barrels mounted on some wood work. Sounds bizarre but I'm assured it will look great!! When details of this are finalised I'll let you know and try and post some photos.

Over all I'm very happy with the way it is coming together given it is the first year and time was tight for booking.

We will be in the Free State for some Francolin and Guineas prior to the hunt for a few days so if you are in the area let me know and we can grab a beer. Our Advertising campaigns started today and I'm still hoping to get out to you for some dove shooting with a team next year, so keep in touch and tell Maynard that I owe him a beer some time soon. Smiler

In the mean time if anyone wants to join in at the last minute then you would be more than welcome. No need for a whole team as I have a space free on my team if anyone wants to join me!! I might even be able to knock a bit off as a late booking Cool .

Rgds,
Kiri

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kiri,

Thanks for the feedback.

Congratulations on a fantastic bit of organization! I'm sure that great fun will be had by all!

I have an annual "Family Hunt" for which dates were fixed a year in advance as 7th to 9th August 2010, and clients arriving on 14th August. So any participation in your event by myself is unfortunately quite out of the question.

But your mentioning that you will be in the Free State a few days befire the hunt makes me think, maybe we can share more than a beer?

I am in the middle of the Free State, and free the first week in August 2010. There are many available beds in the accommodation facilities. Have a working GSP, shotgun, ammo, licenses etc. Here are very good numbers of guinea fowl [an overpopulation], good numbers of Orange River Partridge and enough Swainsons' Francolin to allow the harvesting of quite a few. Rock pigeons fly everywhere - but here are no unharvested sunflower fields now - so no high volume shooting. Let us see if we can meet up and have more fun than just share a beer? I do hope that your party consists of enough guns to make an effective "Natal Surround" on a flock of guineas? dancing Please be in touch!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi Andrew,

It would be great to meet up. I've given your number to Dennie who will call you locally to look at the itinerary.

I don't think we will have time to add an extra days hunting in as the guide was already booked for all the days we are there, but I'm sure we can get together.

Will Maynard be in town?

Rgds,
Kiri

One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted Hide Post
I want to shoot his birds! Orange river partridges sound like fun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Small Bore:
I want to shoot his birds! Orange river partridges sound like fun.

They sure are fun to hunt. And they fly fast! Very fast! A friend who hunts with falcons is of the opinion that they just as fast as the legendaray Greywing - only the latter flies in 3D while here by me it is mostly very level grassveld and the escape attempt is really 2D!

Then there is the thrill and adrenalin rush of a good surround of a flock of guineas in the tall grass! Man, I can't wiat!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

That sounds like the type of shooting I grew up on in Cyprus. We hunted Chukars that some of our american friends will be well versed in, and when they would run up hill frm the dogs and launch themselves from the rocks it was amazing shooting. Not big bags but the best sport you could ask for.

Did Dennie call you about meeting up? If not I'll chase him tomorrow. I spoke to him briefly and he was hunting with his club. He won the qualifiers this weekend and is leading the scores in his province so it was a good result.

In case we don't manage much shooting this time round, what will there be available to shoot in April/May next year? We will be in town for the doves which I spoke to you about but I'm thinkint that I may add on a couple of days and we can have a look at alternatives and a couple of cold ones.

I'll call you in the next couple of days.

Kiri