Find
Notify
Tools

South African Wing Shooting 2018
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted

Price is 450 per day with no hidden fees other than price of shells. Shells will be sold at cost from what we pay at local Agriculture Cooperative. Lodging with all meals, alcohol and soft drinks included. First class accommodations and you will have full staff at your service.
We pick you up on your arrival day at Tamboo International so you do not have to stay overnight in Johannesburg.
Hunting consist of waterfowl hunting in early am or late afternoon and upland bird hunting during the day. Plains game hunting is also available. This is a great trip that focuses on wing shooting. We do not get you there just to pressure you into shooting plains game! Lots of other activities including fly fishing for trout in Dullstroom, Mpumalanga as well as game viewing at Plannesburge or Kruger National Park.

Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/
252-826-4288

Captain Clark Purvis

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the ammo costs per box for quality shotgun ammo in RSA? As a point of reference, I've paid between $12 and $15 per box in Uruguay/Argentina over the years.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
They are more expensive now that the US Dollar has dropped to .72 Average around 8 to 10 USD per box. I think I paid a total of around $250 when I purchased the below ammo last year. You will not get hit with a $4,000 shell bill like Argentina. We communicate with you up front on everything.

Captain Clark Purvis

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Capt. Purvis:
This sparks my interest. For the times I've been to Africa I've only shot two birds. Is this something you do yearly? I ask as 2018 is already planned with both Zim and SA on the schedule. I seek the experience and have no interest in shooting thousands of birds such as in Argentina.

Also, can one bring two 12-gauge shotguns? One for upland and one for waterfowl. I assume lead shot is OK.

In 2018 I will be traveling with a .600 and a .350 no2. No room or weight for a shotgun or two.

How many days would you recommend? Is plains game available if needed? I like the thought of a bit of fishing? (I've never fished in Africa).

Thanks,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Cal,

We do several of these trips every year. RSA does not allow you to bring two of the same caliber of shotguns. You could bring a 12 and a 20 but not two 12 gauges. I would recommend hunting at least three days. Plains game is available.

Regards,

Clark

Captain Clark Purvis

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is why you need one of our "Shot and Ball" guns ...

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
That would really throw off the RSA Police when they inspect your gun at the airport!

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Just went through RSA CUSTOMS WITH TWO 12 gauge side & side AYA s. You can bring two shotguns same caliber throuhg customs no problem

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
You are correct. I just checked with Henry at riflepermits. He said that you simply have to fill out a motivational letter. I was always told you could not bring in the same caliber. This is good to know.

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clark, can you tell me more about the upland birds? Any of it done over pointing dogs? I would truly love to hunt over dogs down there.

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Yes we use German Shorthairs for the upland birds. I have some gopro footage of hunting with the dogs. I will try and post when I get time.

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

If there are any individual hunters that would like to join one of these hunts please let me know. I am back from Mexico and will be in my office for the next few weeks. We will start these hunts the last week of July throughout August. Most likely I will be able to pair you with another hunter or make up a charter group to get the four hunters needed to make the Safari. Reason being is that we do not want to hunt a field for Spur Wings or Egyptian Geese with one hunter. Up land bird hunts are no problem for individuals. I know I have room for two the first week of August and one the second week of August. The people that will be attending the hunts the first two weeks in August are quality people and a pleasure to be around. Feel free to pm or call with any questions. There are some really good deals on flights. I just booked the direct flight from Atlanta for $850 USD.

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
To follow up on the PM's and emails. The majority of the upland hunting will take place in the North West Province. Most likely there will be two days spent hunting waterfowl in the Free State. If you want to hunt Sand Grouse we have a great place in the Kalahari. We will have people out scouting everyday in all of these locations. I have room for one now the first week of August.

Captain Clark Purvis