Tools

Buffalo hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hallgeir Gravrok
posted
Hi guys
I have a question:
What am I suppose too pay for a straight forward Buffalo hunt? all included, 7 or 10 days hunting.
I`m planning for next year, I wanna spend the days to get a nice buff trophy, and if I got some spare time I hunt for PG.
I`m looking for hunt in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania or Mosambique.
What can you agents and outfitters at this excellent forum offer me? I have some experience in hunting. I`ve been hunting in Africa for 10 years and got a lot of PG.

One of the finest Trophies in Norway

Posts: 78 | Location: Norway | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
In Zim, expect to spend no less than $15,000 USD unless you are able to take a cancellation hunt on short notice or an end of season hunt to shoot some left over quota.

If you air charter and shoot some PG, you get to $20,000 real fast.

Martin Peters, who hunts the Omay and who posts here, typically has some excellent buffalo "bargain" hunts toward the end of the year.

Another option would be to go to Maasiland, Tanz in November or December and shoot two buff on a ten day license. You have the chance to shoot a monster or two as well as some PG. You will, however, top $30,000 on that hunt, but you will shoot two buff, which is only $15,000-ish per buff in the best buff area that I know of.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Most buff deals run for eight or ten hunting days at $900, $1200 or $1400 per day with a trophy fee of around $2500 to $3500.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd never pay $15,000 USD to kill a single buff anywhere in Africa! I have however paid as little as $6500 USD to do it and killed an 42" bull with worn boss in the Selous Reserve of Tanzania on that trip. Also killed some PG only available there for the "TF" only on that trip too.
Buying end of the season hunts and be willing to go with little notice is the trick. You'll not find many offers like that from the usual vulture type agents whom peruse the hunting sites looking for clients though!! You need to find a good safari company and get on their call list in most cases....good Luck!!

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please get with Matin Pieters for Zim. usually right about $10,000 USD.
or With Pierre Van Tonder for Tanzania about $14,000
These two PH's will provide great hunts at a very reasonable cost.
Larry
PS I am sure there are others also that would provide you with a great offer and great hunt. I just like these 2 guy's
Almost forgot my Buddy Karl Stumpfe Caprivi Namibia about $16,000

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
Buying end of the season hunts and be willing to go with little notice is the trick. You'll not find many offers like that from the usual vulture type agents whom peruse the hunting sites looking for clients though!! You need to find a good safari company and get on their call list in most cases....good Luck!!

You got it. $15K is top shelf and for the guys who book a year or more in advance because they need very specific dates. Every year for the last three I can remember seeing $8000-$9000 7 day end of season deals with regularity. I think finding a short duration buff hunt between $7000-$8000 is certainly possible if you are flexible, patient, and interested in Zimbabwe.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd never pay $15,000 USD to kill a single buff anywhere in Africa! I have however paid as little as $6500 USD to do it and killed an 42" bull with worn boss in the Selous Reserve of Tanzania

$6500? Really? When?

$6500 all in Dar to Dar?

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Be warned, those late season specials (during late September, October and November) come at another price. Prepare for extreme heat.
However you do have the bonus of great Tiger Fish fishing if you are on the Zambezi.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:
I'd never pay $15,000 USD to kill a single buff anywhere in Africa! I have however paid as little as $6500 USD to do it and killed an 42" bull with worn boss in the Selous Reserve of Tanzania

$6500? Really? When?

$6500 all in Dar to Dar?

yes $6500 all in Dar to Dar no extra flight costs, taxes,fees, also had aide at airport to help with guns, etc in 2009, I paid my motel/meals in Dar night prior and day room fee awaiting flight out of Dar back to USA. I did pay for TFs on PG I killed after killing buff.nyasta, lichenstein, kudu...and caught some great Tigers right from camp.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
yes $6500 all in Dar to Dar no extra flight costs, taxes,fees, also had aide at airport to help with guns, etc in 2009, I paid my motel/meals in Dar night prior and day room fee awaiting flight out of Dar back to USA. I did pay for TFs on PG I killed after killing buff.nyasta, lichenstein, kudu...and caught some great Tigers right from camp.

which outfit did you get this deal? Kudu on a 10 day licence??
Pm if you prefer

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not 10 day ,check PM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

You have to explain a EA greater kudu on a buffalo special at a bargain basement price.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Doc,

You have to explain a EA greater kudu on a buffalo special at a bargain basement price.

Mark

As well as how one got to the Selous and shot a buffalo for $6500 given the price of charters there. There is more to this story. I'm proud Doc got a deal, but the deal is not representative and is not that helpful to the original poster that wanted to know the actual price of hunting a buffalo in 2012.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Is the daily dangerous game fee paid for all the days even if you get your buf on, say, the first day? Or do you switch to a lower daily rate while you are hunting plains game? (I'm guessing the former, but if so, then it seems a little misleading to refer to it as a daily fee.)

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Doc,

Mark

Mark: I have no need to explain anything when "told" I must...the glory of posting on a forum. I have however replied to several PMs on the subject posted to me as a gentleman does when they request such information.How and with whom I choose to I conduct my business is ...well my business.

Safari Lawyer: I flew in on the charter with other clients booked in camp at the same time whom hunted with another PH, none had the cost of the charter added to their trip. It was a matter of the quota buyer paying one flight in and out. I do not presume to know what the other hunters paid for their trip though in the course of it conversation seemed to represent savings for them as well.

Postoak: One books a DG safari for a set amount of days at DG daily rates should he fill his DG request early I know of no operator refunding the difference beteen DG & PG rates...but who knows I assume it is possible someone might, but I've never run across them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

You don't need to post anything ever. When you do post and write something that is way off the norm and at least as written illegal it makes me very curious.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Zim, expect to spend no less than $15,000 USD unless you are able to take a cancellation hunt on short notice or an end of season hunt to shoot some left over quota.

If you air charter and shoot some PG, you get to $20,000 real fast.

Martin Peters, who hunts the Omay and who posts here, typically has some excellent buffalo "bargain" hunts toward the end of the year.

Will's assessment is very accurate in my opinion. I am hunting with Mark Haldane of Zambeze Delta next year and the hunt itself is $11,500 for 10 days including buff fee. But add in charter, licenses, D&P, etc. you get to $15K very quickly. Add additional game, the costs go up expontentially!

There are some excellent deals on these boards, I have experienced two late season buff hunts with Martin Pieters and they are absolute blasts but as Adam mentions... the heat can be oppressive though the costs make it bearable!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote