Find
Notify
Tools

GREAT HUNT FOR RED STAG IN NEW ZEALAND
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Folks,

Back in May of this year Gerald Telford/Telford Hunting contacted me to assist with marketing his Mt.Maude hunting area on the South Island of New Zealand. Through many e-mails and phone calls I now have a good idea of the experience that he is offering. It also helped that a couple of AR members had hunted with Gerald and had very complimentary things to say about him. (check out Ross Murphy AKA dogcat with the chamois in the PIX) Gerald has been a guide for 22 years and a past president of the NZPHGA.

This hunt is conducted on Mt. Maude close by the town of Wanaka on the South Island. Mount Maude can be reached via Auckland and then connecting on to Queenstown where Gerald will retrieve you for the 1 hour drive to Mt. Maude.

Hunting is spot and stalk and can be as challenging as you'd like. Gerald will do what it takes to get you to the game.

Mt. Maude is 4,000 rugged fenced acres with good populations of red stag, fallow deer, and tahr. Chamois can be arranged but on another property.

Accommodations are provided near by the hunting area in a hunter friendly pub with all the comforts and great food.

At this point Gerald is 100% on good shooting opportunities for stags, fallow and tahr on a 6 day hunt. With chamois about 90% dependent often on the client's ability to climb.

I have not yet been on this hunt but we are formulating a plan for Sadie and I to be there.

Please note there is a sliding scale for the red deer only. The other animals are offered at a flat fee regardless of size. Stags of any size up to 360 SCI can be taken for a trophy fee of $4,000. The pictures are of stags in that mid 300 point range. If a hunter wants a really big stag 361 to 400 points it is $7,500 and 400 point upward is $15,000. These larger stags will be found in a much smaller enclosure.

Pricing:

1x1 3-6 days $620 per day (more days are possible with special arrangement)
Observer $250 per day

Extras:

Gun permit $25 NZ
Flights to and from Queenstown
Shipping of trophies
Hotels if necessary before or after the hunt.
All insurances
Dip/pack

Trophy fees:

Red stag $4,000-$15,000 dependent on size
Tahr $4,500
Fallow $3,300
Chamois $4,000
Polynesian boar $1,200
Arapawa ram $750
South Pacific goat $750
Wallaby $400

Small game hunting and touring is available if you want to fill in some days after you've taken your big game.

Questions?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a solid hunt with a solid outfit. Gerald does a great job and I would recommend him highly. Sue, his wife, is a super hostess and an accomplished pilot. Take a day and see NZ from the air with her.

This is not a canned or pen hunt. Gerald does as a great job. The tahr and chamois hunts are very challenging.

Posts: 10202 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mt. Maude is 4,000 rugged fenced acres with good populations of red stag, fallow deer, and tahr.

Dogcat,
Did you hunt a different property for your chamois?

From the wording in the ad it sounds to me like this is a pen hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, tahr was on a different area and property from the chamois. The chamois are the hardest to hunt in NZ due to terrain. We hunted all on foot.

Posts: 10202 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Gerald 20 years ago. He is very knowledgeable and reputed.

I would check the blood lines etc. Those red stags look like farm animals & could be old breeding stock or farm animals running feral.

You will never see such stags in true wild areas.

The other animals look great.

Plenty of such fallow bucks on wild free range station hunts.

Talk to Gerald about your requirements and ask questions and he will be honest with you.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not too sure about offering trophy hunts for Polynesians !!!
I presume this is a typo as our island brothers wouldn't tolerate this activity.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Polynesians for $1200 ?????

rotflmo

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
South Auckland is full of Polynesians but I doubt any of them know they are on the trophy list. Might be some cultural difficulties with that , I suspect.

Undeniably the South Island has magnificent managed wild Fallow , but any red deer with antlers like that are unlikely to be wild bred. No problems with folk hunting them , just with with advertising them as wild deer.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Nobody said that the stags were free roaming. The ad clearly states "Mt. Maude is 4,000 rugged fenced acres". As for the Polynesians they are feral hogs hunted with dogs.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4000 acres may not sound like much, but if you flatten it out it's probably bigger than california

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

That's exactly right. In a mountainous area you could hunt 4,000 acres and never see the fence.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I hunted with Gerald, we had the option of a 50,000 acres peninsula that was basically unfenced or we could head to a fenced area and hunt. I hunted the big area and saw several nice stags, shooting one.

There is not much absolutely free range hunting in NZ as the stag is raised for meat and the Asian felt antler market as well as sport hunting. The free range or loose stags will not be the really big ones you see in pictures of hunts there.

I would just tell Mark or Gerald what you want to do and then let Gerald arrange it. He is a pro.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 of us and our wives are headed to NZ next June, and we are looking for a hunt. I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the reference dogcat. What is the 2x1 hunting rate?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

These are real WILD red stags from near Queenstown - taken in April 2016.

This is from public land that can only be accessed by helicopter or from a large station.

Low animal numbers but great trophies. Very very hard hunting in steep rough country.

The guy who hunted with my friend is as rough as the country, I am told.

He does take international hunters but he will not pamper you or give you 5 star treatment. He will treat you just like he treats anyone else, though you may be a paying client!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naki...stop crappin all over this hunt offer and take yourself back to the ARPF and continue making a fool of yourself. 2020

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

These are real WILD red stags from near Queenstown - taken in April 2016.

This is from public land that can only be accessed by helicopter or from a large station.

Low animal numbers but great trophies. Very very hard hunting in steep rough country.

The guy who hunted with my friend is as rough as the country, I am told.

He does take international hunters but he will not pamper you or give you 5 star treatment. He will treat you just like he treats anyone else, though you may be a paying client!

Is it considered good manners in New Zealand to defecate on another individuals thread?

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Awesome looking hunts Mark
One day One day...
Damn so many places to hunt and so little time
Anyone of you boys who never hunted red deer, DO IT!
It's priceless
I definitely like " Big Polinesians" - it's called rodeo in US

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote