Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Spoken for

Posts: 600 | Location: England  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What are the permits and costs of the same? Costs of dip and pack and shipping to the U.S.? What type of fishing and small game hunting and costs of licenses/permits? Do you have fishing gear or is it to be brought by the hunter? Do you book the Copenhagen hotels or is that up to the hunter to do so? Recommended airlines to Greenland and approximate cost?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
What are the permits and costs of the same? Costs of dip and pack and shipping to the U.S.? What type of fishing and small game hunting and costs of licenses/permits? Do you have fishing gear or is it to be brought by the hunter? Do you book the Copenhagen hotels or is that up to the hunter to do so? Recommended airlines to Greenland and approximate cost?

Good morning, all fishing kit is supplied. I can reserve or book the hotels no problem at all.

Costs for dip and pack are around $1000+ shipping. That includes permits.

Small game is for Ptarmigan, Hares, Foxes and fishing mainly for trout.

The airline to Greenland is Air Greenland and runs 4-6 days a week back and forth from Copenhagen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never understand the need to fly through Copenhagen. Can you enlighten us?

I would but this instantly if I did not have a conflict with another trip.

Posts: 12000 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UEG and Larry,

We were in Kangerlussuaq Greenland in October for the polar bear challenge in late October. Husband did the half marathon and then a full marathon across the ice cap and through the countryside back to Kangerlussuaq.

We flew Scandanavian Airlines to Copenhagen then Air Greenland to Kangerlussuaq. My recommendation is to pay the extra money and fly Business Class from Copenhagen to Kangerlussuaq. It is about a 4 1/2 hour flight and well worth the extra money.

In Copenhagen, the Clarion Hotel is connected to the airport which made it very convenient.

When we arrived in Copenhagen the immigration/customs officer laughed and said it never ceases to amaze him why you North America folks have to fly all the way to Copenhagen to fly back the way you came to Greenland.

Greenland is AMAZING! The Hotel Kangerlussuaq used to be a U.S.military base and the place was great. Ultra hot water showers, great restaurant and it is connected to the airport.

The airport NEVER closes and it is an emergency landing place for flights from NA to Europe. In the middle of the night we were watching the airport maintenance crew continuously cleaning the runway.

We saw Musk ox, reindeer, arctic hare, while doing the sightseeing stuff. We even saw a hunter attempting to put a stalk on a herd of musk ox.

The people of Greenland were extremely friendly and it was a great trip.

Best of luck to whoever takes this hunt as you will have a fantastic time in Greenland.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9383 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I never understand the need to fly through Copenhagen. Can you enlighten us?

I would but this instantly if I did not have a conflict with another trip.

Hi Larry, sadly all enterance into Greenland comes via Copenhagen. You can go via Iceland but more expensive and to different airports.

Just one of those things I am afraid.

Many thanks

P.S waiting for you to come to england for a Muntjac and CWD Hunt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too late for me as I have a hunt booked to Greenland in August . My understanding is what I may do is fly to Iceland by way of New Jersey. Can do that if not bringing in firearms. Looks like a great adventure in the LAX Camp.

Posts: 69 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Summer flights are supposed to be coming soon:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/travel/28QNA.html

Air Greenland (www.airgreenland.com), Greenland’s national airline, announced last summer plans for a new direct route from Baltimore-Washington International Airport to Kangerlussuaq, on Greenland’s west coast.

The flights will be offered in each direction every Friday beginning May 25; during the summer, June 11 to Aug. 20, flights are on Mondays as well. The restricted round-trip economy fare is $1,100; flexible economy, $1,600; and flexible business class, $2,600. Flights may be booked by sending an e-mail message to airgreenlandres@aviareps.com, or by calling (877) 245-0739 in North America.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12556 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember Greenland land is Danish country ... Copenhagen is the natural hub ..

If direct flights from US is offered, I guess that will tempt a lot of visitors from the US.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote