Find
Notify
Tools

North Texas Buffalo hunts.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
The buffalo herd I help take care of has had a couple of good breeding seasons and my boss decided to offer a few animals for hunting.

Interested parties can contact me, Randall W. Weems either by PM on here or can call me @ 940-212-0088, after 8 a.m. and before 9 p.m. CST.

Or they can contact my boss, Robert W. Stewart via email @ tx4deer@gmail.com

I can give basic information about the hunt, Robert will be better able to provide pictures of what animals are available.

Hunts take place on a 1000 acre ranch a few miles north of Olney in Archer county.

Due to the late summer and Fall rains the animals are in really good shape body wise and coats are in prime condition.

Below is the basic information on what is being offered, Thank You.

Harvest your own grass fed Texas bison on 1000 acres on the historic divide of the Brazos, Trinity, and Wichita Rivers. Hunt includes guide, lodging, transportation on ranch, and field dressing of game.

Yearling Bull or Heifer: $2500
2-3 year old Bull: $3500
Trophy Bull: $5000

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When will the hunt take place?-Cam

Posts: 157 | Location: san francisco bay area | Registered: 23 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the hunter.

The best time in my opinion is during the winter when the hides are in the best condition.

Interested parties can arrange the hunt for whatever time works best for them.

Robert offered a hunt for some excess bulls a few years back and we had 4 hunters come out and each took a bull.

Just to be honest for anyone that has not done one of these hunts, these are not the same as those offered by other members of AR.

These are a shoot. Yes the animals do have 1000 acres to roam on but they are used to being fed and so finding the herd and picking out the animal the client wants to shoot, is not like the hunts offered in say the Dakota's where the animals are under a more Free Range situation.

We are not high fenced and this is something that not everyone is interested in doing, but it is a chance to get a neat trophy and some excellent meat and see a part if America that a person may not have seen before.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very decent and honorable of you to lay out those details.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Facts are facts and these type offers are not for everyone.

The herd needs to have a few animals removed simply for management purposes. We sold two of this years heifer calves this weekend to a couple that wanted to try something different.

We also sell a few animals that go straight to the processor and the commercial market and we have had one group that came out and used Sharps type rifles to shoot a few 2 to 3 year old bulls.

Some folks simply want to be able to say they have shot a buffalo along with getting some really good meat and a unique trophy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big credit to you for laying out the facts - too often it is like peeling onions when communicating with outfitters / agents; layer by layer and you get water in your eyes - sometimes frustration other times a good laugh.
Someone should develop a BS repellent - mega sales predicted.
Respect to you on your postings - respect.

Posts: 91 | Location: Denmark, Hill Billy Westcoast | Registered: 18 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
My family loves bison roast for dinner and we are only a short drive away from you, But all freezers are full+ going out for Axis does this coming Friday to fill my son's freezer.
However, I will keep you in mind when the game meat next runs low.

PS My last bison was shot running with my 45-90 using my African DG loads - 450 grain Kodiak at 2150 fps! IT WENT DOWN LIKE A METAL TARGET.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Plus one Randall for laying out the facts. Most of these hunts are in fact management harvests to one degree or another.
You are so darned fortunate to get to be around these magnificent creatures on a regular basis.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16507 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
B/O
Have you been to Vermejo Park Ranch in northern New Mexico, west of Raton?

Some years ago, all the cattle were removed and replaced with bison. Very scenic place and great vistas for the trout fisherman where you may see herds of bison and color phase black bear.
http://vermejoparkranch.com/

Daily rate is steep, but lodge and such are very nice. Same for hunting there.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've never had much of a desire to hunt a Bison but I'd like to give a big tu2 to Crazyhorse for being very honest and up front about the nature of the hunt.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate the kind remarks, but reality is these "Hunts" are what the individual makes of them.

In 2000, I went to Nunavut in early September on a Musk Ox/Barren Ground Caribou hunt and others may view things differently, but shooting a Musk Ox is not a whole lot different than shooting someone's Volkswagon!

Buffalo/Bison and Musk Ox really are not all that impressed with human superiority.

Buffalo are really neat animals and I have been fortunate to work with and around them for about 30 years, including hand raising one and I am working on getting the chance of shooting one, just to say I did it!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charles, I have been up to the turnoff to Vermejo Park, but that's it. I don't begin to have the money to hunt or stay there, but I am tremendously impressed with what Ted Turner has accomplished with his bison restorations.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16507 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill,
There is no charge for driving in to the lodge area and every time I have done so, I have seen black bear on the drive.
If interested, call the lodge and ask if you can just drive in and havlunch or dinner.
The lodge and shops in the lodge are worth a bit of time and the food is quite good. On a fishing trip there several years ago, we had cougar burgers and even saw a cougar when fishing the highest elevation lake where the first insect rise is at mid day. Most of the view from up there is of the mountains in southern Colorado. A great place for an outdoor lunch. However, the one lane "road" is not suited for a Chevy Suburban, but we made it.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at