Find
Notify
Tools

Cameroun hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Cameroun Safari

I have a premiere opening for a fully outfitted, self guided hunt in Cameroun. This is a prime location, open for February 8-15. This is a great time for the Lord Derby eland, as they have the dark breeding ruff. Savannah buffalo, Western Roan, Harnessed bushbuck, Western Heartabeast, Red River hogs, Bohr reedbuck, duikers and warthogs are all available on this hunt.
There are also a couple openings later on in the season for other hunts listed below.

Cost is $7000 for 2 hunters going together for all hunts except Congo. Each hunter will also pay a government concession fee of $1000 as well as the licenses and gun import for $1000. This makes a total of $9000@ for 15 days in country, of which you should get in 11 days of hunting. This is all inclusive until a trophy is shot.

BEFORE YOU LEAVE:
• You get a complete list of what to bring and what is provided, down to your toothbrush.
• I will work with you ahead of the hunt to get your gun import paperwork, visa and hunting license in Cameroon completed.

WHEN YOU ARRIVE:
• I have a crew in-country that picks you up at the airport, Yaoundé (NSI airline code). My staff is used to handling English and French speaking clients, but French is their primary language.
• I arrange local transportation, which includes trains, my vehicles and/or a hired car to take you to the village and drop you off. You may be on foot the whole rest of the time, depending on the type of hunt booked (see below). In-country transport is included in your fee. New zones in the far north are vehicle hunts without porters. You go out daily from a permanent camp, in my vehicle. (This includes the February offered hunt.)
• I arrange to loan you some basic bulky and camp gear and give you a list of your personal gear you bring. You are responsible for all of your own personal gear.
• All your in-country food is purchased for you along with provisions for the staff. I pay for these. I recommend you bring some freeze-dried food and snacks, but basic food is provided. At the government concession there is a hotel/bar about an hour’s drive away. (This is the hunt highlighted.)
• I arrange to have someone to boil water (not to be confused with a real cook) for you, trackers (usually pretty sharp) and porters (usually pretty dull). You will have a staff of 7-9 personnel unless hunting in the north where there are fewer. I pay for them.
• My personal tracker (~20 years experience in this type of adventure) will go with you and most likely at least 2-4 others who have gone with me numerous times before. There are experienced skinners, but you are still responsible for the oversight of the skinning.

AT THE END OF THE TRIP:
• I will arrange to have paperwork completed at the end of the trip so trophies can be exported. This includes all CITES and veterinary paperwork for export. I arrange for air shipping (Swiss Air is the only carrier operating out of Cameroon.) I charge $2000 for all the export work. This includes a $500 credit on shipping fees.

Trophy fees For Cameroon Hunt

animal $ cost
Elephant * $ 4,000
Bongo * $ 4,000
Eland * $ 4,000
Buffalo * $ 2,500
Roan * $ 2,000
waterbuck $ 900
hartebeest $ 500
bushbuck/reedbuck $ 500
Red river/wart hogs $300
giant forest hog $ 1000
sitatunga $ 1500
Yellow back duiker
Temporarily blocked $750

peter & other duiker $ 400
Western cob $500
Oribi $400

* Denotes group 1 animal of which you are only allowed 2 on a hunt. Four other animals are allowed per hunter/year (Group 2) You may take up to six total animals and they can all be group 2 animals, just not more than two of the group 1 animals.

I am currently setting up hunts in a number of areas:
# 1 is a new 115,000 acre hunting concession that is the personal hunting concession of the King of Cameroun in the north. Waterbuck, kob, warthog, bhor reedbuck, Cameroun bushbuck and duikers are common. So far we have found a lot of roan as the larger species. We have found some eland and buffalo, but they are not prevalent. You stay in the most comfortable camp we operate next to a nice river with good fishing. There is a regular kitchen with dining room to eat at. Solar power provides light and necessities. Beds are supplied with mosquito nets. It is generally a hot hunt. You go out daily from camp in a vehicle and return at dark after following tracks or sitting in some of the blinds overlooking salt licks. Spike camps will get you further into the bush. You will have an audience with the king, if he is in court, should you wish. He speaks English.
#2 (Highlighted hunt above.) These are “open” zones from the government. We use established camps and vehicles to go out daily. These are the best zones we hunt for game harvested. Roan and/or buffalo opportunities have been 100% in this zone. You can expect multiple opportunities at game and eland are in the zone. You return to the main permanent camp each night. Cooking is still very basic. One option is to stay in the National Park headquarters. You will be responsible for any charges associated with this, but it is a nice camp and run a generator every evening for several hours. This is BY FAR the least strenuous and most successful hunt we offer. It is my recommendation for all first time hunters.
#3 This is a foot savannah hunt for Lord Derby eland, northwestern buffalo, roan, western kob, warthog, oribi, bohr reedbuck, red river hog and others, this is in a community hunting zone where I have exclusive rights. The area is about 250,000 acres in size. A hard hunt and there are few of the smaller game, but good herds of buffalo and we pull eland from this area every year. (see photo below) This zone is our best if eland is your prime trophy, but it is a hard hunt. You are on foot for the whole hunt and there are no established camps.
#4 This is a forest elephant hunt (trophy not importable to the USA, but legal to hunt.) There are almost no other game, as it is a forest elephant hunt. Elephants in this zone are very prevalent and often are near villages destroying crops. Typically it is a 2 day walk into the forest to find the herds. This ivory is “pink” in color. 5 kg. is required for ivory weight of the bulls to ensure maturity. There are no pygmies in this zone.
A second forest elephant area is on that is a deep forest hunt with pygmies, but as is true in any true deep jungle hunt, the game is scarce. The adventure is the hunt with the pygmies. You will get into herds of elephants and call in duikers. This is our hardest hunt, in deep forest with high humidity and hard walking every day.
#5 I have just opened a new bongo area with great success so far. Bongo are very prevalent in the zone. Animals are tracked on foot and dogs released when you are close. This area has a very good chance at forest buffalo. You are also likely to see some animals like bushbuck, kob, and you will get a chance at the forest duikers. It combines forest and savannah hunting and has the widest variety of species. You are on foot the whole time.
A second hunt in a zone near here has very high numbers of forest buffalo, but almost no bongo. It also has our best chance at the forest sitatunga as well as forest duikers.
#6 I have an area with very high chance of forest buffalo and there are decent numbers of sitatunga and duikers.
CUSTOM HUNTS: I am currently taking a few clients on custom hunts to Congo Brazzaville. Inquiries welcome.
As you can see we offer a wide variety of hunts depending on your desires, so contact me so we can discuss your requirements.

The following are pictures of some of the animals we collected in 2011.

http://i304.photobucket.com/al...8/roanGeoff12011.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/al...elandStewart2011.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/al...8/bongoChrisbest.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/al...Bhorreedbuck2011.jpg

Lots more details on my web site: bombaziwilderness.com

Camshaft
11240 Page Mill Road, Los Altos Hills, California USA +650-948-4560 cam.greig@yahoo.com

Posts: 345 | Location: Cameroun, South Africa | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is definately on my shortlists of things to do!! I have seen your hunt posts before and and am very envious!!!. Just not in the cards this year, but looks like an absolute blast.

Posts: 253 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only 12month and i will be hunting forest elephant dancing i wish i would have the time to do all your hunts,cam.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those hunts look like a hell of a lot of fun!! Definitely on my "some day" list!

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello.
This sounds like a great adventure.
I´m only concerned about transportation as I have heard is a bit complex in Cameroun, you can be stopped by police road blocks, etc.
I´m afraid about having to deal with all this "incountry political problems" by myself.
I´m not afraid of animals or savanna, but of people around.

Best regards

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
How far out can you book one of these Cam?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Cam
I am interested in one of your hunts. Can a person rent or borrow a gun. Have you had any women ever come on these hunts? What do the camps look like. Can you please PM me. Thanks Rod

Posts: 14 | Location: AB | Registered: 12 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spanishhunter,
My staff are very used to dealing with the road blocks and such. They have helped conduct over 100 of these hunts. In the north we are partners with the king there and keep a sign on the side of the car to that effect and we are usually waved through without even stopping!
You are not expected to do anything but sit in the vehicle and smile at the police. My staff do all the talking. In fact it is best you just reply in English or Spanish that you do not speak French.
camshaft

Posts: 345 | Location: Cameroun, South Africa | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,
I will easily take a booking for 2012 or 2013 and hold current prices.
Cam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rjanz,
Will PM.
Cam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi camshaft
Please PM me as I am interested in one of your hunts.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Faisal,
PM sent.
Camshaft

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify; the cost is per hunter at $7000. Sorry if my wording muddied the water on that one!
A solo hunter would have to pay a premium.
Camshaft

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Cam,

During what months of the year are the hunts conducted?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Can you also comment on the temperatures during the different hunting months? Thanks!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hunting season in Cameroun starts in December and runs through July. Not all parts of the country are open at the same time. The north closes at the end of May.
The dry season starts in November and runs until April in the south and May in the north. The later in the dry season you go the hotter it is. In the jungle it seldom reaches 90 degrees F. In the north in late April it can easily be over 100 degrees F every day.
The advantage of late season hunts is it concentrates the animals. My hunts are mostly old fashioned tracking hunts, so having the animals come to water is a huge advantage. I recommend you have your tracker carry a gallon of water with you every day in addition to his needs.
Camshaft

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
What are the chances on a LDE in hunt option #2? How do they compare to #3? If LDE is my focus what would you recommend considering it's my first time in Cameroon and my first Chasse Libre hunt? Thanks!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,
The #2 hunts are an easier introduction to this kind of hunting. You go out and return to a set base every day. This is my recommended hunt for a first time chasse libre hunter, as it provides the greatest opportunity for a successful hunt. You will get a number of opportunities at a variety of game if you have a "normal" hunt. Many hunters in the zone actually fill out their 6 species.
#3 has a slightly better chance at eland, but it is a much harder hunt and there are not many other animals. There are no camps, you sleep in a hammock or tent. I have just been given this zone on a permanent basis and have an anti-poaching crew on the ground, but it will take time to bring the game back. Because eland wander a lot they are the first to show up and they are in the zone in decent numbers. The down side is it is a low success hunt for all other game so if you do not get your eland or buffalo you stand a chance of striking out, and that is the last thing either you or I want.
You can add extra days and change locations to try both, if that is your desire, but there are costs associated with that.
More than 50% of my hunters are return hunters. If I were you I would go on the more sure hunt and then if you do not get an eland come back. You will have many of the same guys in camp and you will have a much better feeling for how it all works.
Either way we will work with you to try to ensure success.
camshaft

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by camshaft:
You will have many of the same guys in camp and you will have a much better feeling for how it all works.
Either way we will work with you to try to ensure success.
camshaft

Cam - What do you mean by "you will have many of the same guys in camp"???

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I think he's saying if you do a return hunt you'll have many of the same staff in camp, so you'll not only be more familiar with Chasse Libre, but also be hunting with staff you know.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is correct Brett. My core crew travels all over Cameroun and is on all the hunts.
Camshaft

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Camshaft! If I wanted to do hunt #2 with a focus on LDE what time of year would you recommend? Coming from Alaska I'm not crazy about the prospect of constant +100 degree days, but I want to have everything like water availability in my favor. That said the dark rough looks fabulous! Aside from buffalo would there be an opportunity for elephant or any other dangerous game in that area?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by camshaft:
That is correct Brett. My core crew travels all over Cameroun and is on all the hunts.
Camshaft

Ok, thanks guys! I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, but now I do.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very large (+50) herd of elephants on my King's zone right now and they are on license. They have been there for a few months so are not likely to leave anytime soon. You just need to be aware that the elephant bodies in the north are big, but the ivory is not necessarily so.
January to May are the months to hunt in the north. The later it gets the drier and hotter. Game is more concentrated, but you walk in 90+ degree heat. I have that opening in February in the post and then maybe one in April or May as well.
You may know Robert Johnson who hailed from AK. He was a guide on the Kenai for salmon. He went with me a number of years ago and we had a great hunt. He did suffer from the heat though! Search the AR for hunt reports on self guided and you should find the report if they keep posts that old.
Buffalo and elephant are the only "dangerous game" that you can expect to find. Lion are allowed with a special permit but are rare in my areas. Leopard are not on permit and rhino no longer exist in Cameroun. We do occasionally find a snake or two and that is always fun. The north has quite a few of the big rock pythons, reaching 18 feet.
camshaft

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fished with Robert in the Summer of 2009 and he was supposed to come elk hunting with my outfitt in 2010, unfortunately he passaed away in the mean time. We talked about his hunt and I saw his roan horns. He said it was difficult but the best experience he had ever had. It has been on my mind to do this kind of trip since he told me about it!!Wish I could jump on this!

Posts: 253 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert was truly one of the best guys I ever met and I was distraught at his passing. We hunted California and Cameroun and Alaska together and he took me king fishing on several occasions. He is one guy I really miss!