Find
Notify
Tools

Airlink baggage policy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
Anyone know what the curreit Airlink baggage policy is between JNB and Kasane?

I'm staying a day in JNB before flying on to Kasane. Their website is rather confusing...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, I got the answer from Gracy Travel:

"You are allowed 44LBS free of charge on Airlink. Anything over that you will pay +/- $1.00 per LB at the ticket counter"

Each way naturally.... Grrr!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott, you might be aware, but they will charge you a “transfer fee” if you are carrying a firearm. I believe the fee was R600 last summer, but I might be mistaken and at that time they only accepted Rand, no USD or credit cards.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2903 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's odd, they accepted my card or cash($), last fall and also two years ago. Last year the fee was $60.00 in Joburg and was charged $80.00 in Bulawayo and the previous year was just the opposite. I didn't ask for an explanation.

Posts: 134 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Scott, you might be aware, but they will charge you a “transfer fee” if you are carrying a firearm. I believe the fee was R600 last summer, but I might be mistaken and at that time they only accepted Rand, no USD or credit cards.

Yeah.. that too LOL!

It’s annoying but what can we do I guess…

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rglenz:
That's odd, they accepted my card or cash($), last fall and also two years ago. Last year the fee was $60.00 in Joburg and was charged $80.00 in Bulawayo and the previous year was just the opposite. I didn't ask for an explanation.

Our last trip to Moz, we arrived in Joburg at about 5:00 am, flight to Biera was 4-5 hours later, got boarding passes and were sent to Airlink service desk. They wanted the transfer fee in Rand, had to wait until currency exchange opened to get Rand, paid them in Rand and the cash was placed on a desk and not in a cash drawer, hand written receipt was offered, too. I suspect that Rand never made it to the cash drawer. Surprisingly, on return from Biera I was not charged a transfer fee. But, we were charged overweight fees…on our carry on bags!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2903 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:

Our last trip to Moz, we arrived in Joburg at about 5:00 am, flight to Biera was 4-5 hours later, got boarding passes and were sent to Airlink service desk. They wanted the transfer fee in Rand, had to wait until currency exchange opened to get Rand, paid them in Rand and the cash was placed on a desk and not in a cash drawer, hand written receipt was offered, too. I suspect that Rand never made it to the cash drawer. Surprisingly, on return from Biera I was not charged a transfer fee. But, we were charged overweight fees…on our carry on bags!

TIA… LOL!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

They took my CC last November too.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I have learned to travel with some Rands in hand, just because, When traveling in or through South Africa.

I go down to the bank and order in some Rands after i have the trip booked.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
I have learned to travel with some Rands in hand, just because, When traveling in or through South Africa.

I go down to the bank and order in some Rands after i have the trip booked.

Same here.. I usually have some left over from that last trip as well...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
as of a couple weeks ago Airlink told me the firearm fee was 500 Rand per rifle each way. which is 27.06 U.S. so 108.24 U.S. just to let someone place your rifle case on the plane, crazy. but I was wondering about the baggage fee per pound as Airlink would not tell me. thanks

Posts: 203 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure about per pond fee, but lady rear they charged $45.00 each for “overweight” carry on bags…that were placed in the cargo hold due the plane not having overhead space.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The SA Airlink firearms handling charge was $40 per rifle in 2021.

They only charged it at Kasane on the way home. They accepted cash in US dollars.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13639 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have traveled Oslo - Frankfurt - Joburg - Maun -return many times...Airlink is quite ok...I paid about $40 for my rifle last May..

WARNING...Do not fly with Air Botswana..they are completely useless in every respect..!

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I will go to my bank and have them order in about 3000 Rands that will handle the rifle handling fees both ways and maybe the over weight fees that there may be my bank does not charge a service fee and will take the left over back

Posts: 203 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote