Find
Notify
Tools

fllight to joburg?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted
I've been looking for a reasonably priced flight to Johannesburg in July. Delta has one that reqires a plane change in Dakar. I would have to get on Air Senegal (operated by SAA) in Dakar and then fly to Joburg. Is there any chance my rifles would make the change also? Has anyone else tried this flight?
Any suggestions?

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That does not sound like anything i've heard of.

Have you taked to any of the specialty travel agents that book to Africa? If not, you should.

Esp. Gracy Travel or Kathi who posts here?

July is, the peak seaon of course.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mustbhuntn:
I've been looking for a reasonably priced flight to Johannesburg in July. Delta has one that reqires a plane change in Dakar. I would have to get on Air Senegal (operated by SAA) in Dakar and then fly to Joburg. Is there any chance my rifles would make the change also? Has anyone else tried this flight?
Any suggestions?
i think you got that wrong. delta's flight from atlanta stops in Dakar to refuel, then continues on to JNB. i am taking that flight in Sept.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13179 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What jdollar said. We'll be on Delta in Sept as well. No Air Senegal involved. In fact, I don't know if you're even allowed off the plane in Dakar? It's just a gas stop.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of Msichana
posted Hide Post
I second Kathi! She'll set you up.

you can reach her at 708-425-3552 or kathi@wildtravel.net

Posts: 122 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm taking that flight in July, but I don't change planes. It is just a refueling stop. I don't even think I can get off the plane.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We also are making the same flight August 15th,, refuel in Senegal,,, never get off the plane, refuel, get sprayed with bug spray and take off again for another 8-9 hour flight,,,drwes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there not a nonstop flight from Washington straight to Joberg without the stop?

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the flight is USUALLY Non stop TO Johannesburg, not the return.

However, this year June 15 - Aug 15 they are going to stop in Dakar both ways.

SeeKathi's post

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The delta flight to jnb stops in Dakar and continues to jnb. Some friends of mine bought some cheaper tickets that only used Delta to dakar and changed planes to Air Senegal in Dakar with a longer delay and even then their luggage didn't make the flt. Air Senegal did deliver their bags to a point near their hunting venue but IMO saving a few dollars in a situation requiring more connections is inviting more problems. The bags were 2 days late.

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathy have you heard the rumors about SAA having received the 90 day letter? The word is SAA may not be allowed to fly to the US after March 31 or so because of training problems encountered trying to expedite the transition to 80% black pilots which caused many of their previously hired crews to lose their currency. I overheard this in a conversation in the Atl airport and don't know if it is true or not.

Posts: 413 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there are a lot of AR members flying over in July. I leave on July 11 on SAA (I hope) and return on July 25. Anybody elso going to be on the same flights?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmagltd.:
Sounds like there are a lot of AR members flying over in July. I leave on July 11 on SAA (I hope) and return on July 25. Anybody elso going to be on the same flights?

I am leaving July 11 as well but will be taking Delta all the way to Joburg. Picked up the tickets for $2138. That was as good as i could find.

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you may be able to take advantage of this. I have bought tickets from Premier before. When Delta/SAA split up it was during the middle of the trip and premier took care of the new tickets with United.

GOOD NEWS

DELTA’S

INTRODUCTORY SPECIAL

HAS BEEN EXTENDED

JFK to CapeTown

or

CapeTown to JFK

Add-ons from US cities available

from $890 plus taxes

Departure June 3 thru July 31

Maximum stay 3 months

Last day to ticket 04 March