Notify
Tools

Sat Phones - extended stay
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted
All,

I am going to be leaving for Zim during the first week of April. I won't be back in the states until November/December - but of course i want to have communication availability during that time. I have looked at the sat phone sites, etc...call it info overload, so I am posing the question here: Which sat phone is best and do I get it here or wait until I get to Zim and is it better to buy or rent? Any info on this topic any of you PH's, operators, or seasoned vets can provide would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Brian

you should check their websites for up to date info on coverage but I think you'll find that Thuraya doesn't work in most if not all of Zim...... and prices and availability will be cheaper if you source from the US.

As for for buy or rent, you'll have to check prices but I'd guess that for it'd be cheaper to buy for that period of time.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Buy a used Iridium 9505 or 9505a on ebay or from

http://www.outfittersatellite....ridium_mot_adobe.pdf

or

http://www.explorer-satellite-...tore.com/irprsi.html

Ask for "Nina" at explorer satellite and then buy the "Africa" specific minutes. $260 for 300 minutes is a bargain. They last a year and can be topped off to re-set the year clock and preserve unused minutes. When you get home, you can probably re-sell the phone for basically what you paid for it or very slightly less. Honestly though, if you get a decent deal, sat phones are a good piece of emergency gear to have around so you might as well keep it if you travel or get out of cell range very often.

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Goldfinch
posted Hide Post
Another option for you might be to ask your PH, or other friends in the area which cell service (if any) works in that area. Then you can purchase a trac phone and pay as you go with international call cards. Much Much cheaper than sat phones if you find an area with cell service. If you're going to be moving around a good bit, in an out of cell service, then a used iridium is probably the way to go.

"Sleep When You're Dead!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allout:

You have a PM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have rented an Iridium phone from Explorer Satellite in Fla on several occasions. Great customer service and prompt delivery. Had good reception in Namibia, South Africa and Tanzania. Never been to Zim. I actually purchased an Iridium phone at an SCI auction a number of years ago and used it on 2 trips and then the "mother board" went bad and I had to junk it. I'll rent from now on and let someone else take that risk. The rental fee is around 60 to 75 bucks a week plus a charge for each minute of time used. this is for short term rental and I do not know if there are better deals for the amount of time you are considering.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We own and use both iridium and bgan from explorer satellite. If you are going to be needing email buy a bgan unit-rates are cheaper for voice also; if you just want voice, then I recommend an iridium. contact andy cool at explorer satellite for his suggestions.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote