THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Warning: Zimbabwe Visa Duration

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning: Zimbabwe Visa Duration
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just experienced a new little "trick" in Zim. My wife and I just returned from a 15 day hunt. Upon trying to depart, the immigration officials in Zim said my wife overstayed her visa. I could find no where on the visa where the term was stated. The expiration date was blank on both visas. After a brief standoff, including some assistance from our charter pilot, a $100 fee was assessed and we were cleared. They contended it was a 14 day visa even though we specifically and accurately listed our depature date as 16 days post arrival.

I recommend every ensure either the visa or your receipt indicate the duration of the visa.

My prior year visa are blank with respect to the expiration dates as well.

Posts: 150 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Which airport? I'm wondering if this is a localized scam. I also wonder what would have happened if a receipt had been asked for. I'm gonna guess that part of the strategy was to deliberately target the wife.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was in Harare and we both had receipts indicating $30 was paid. The problem is the lack of an expiration date. We could not get an answer if the fee was different for a 14 day visa vs. a 30 day visa. In the end we decided to avoid additional issues and just pay the "fine".

Posts: 150 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gee - i wonder where the 100 went space

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Or.........Look the official straight in the eye and with a big smile wish him good luck, because I am getting on that plane and "she is all yours"! dancing

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STGS:
I recommend every ensure either the visa or your receipt indicate the duration of the visa.

FYI: Zim Visas are valid for 6 months and are effective from date of issue...

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mouse93. I beg to differ. I'm not sure, but I think you mean the (entire) length of time permitted in Zim on a tourist/visitor visa.

Folowing is my experiences.

The Zim Immigration officer will, upon arrival, ask you how long your stay in Zim is. I've been advised by Zim contacts to answer 30 days (even if I'm only there for 7), which has been my standard reply on every entry into Zim. You must make sure that the number of days are written into your visa (in your passport) and take note that the "zero" is added onto 30 days. Three weeks has been known to become three days. I've just had a look at my passport. The printed "expiry date" is left empty on all my visas, instead it is handwritten on top of the stamp "Zimbabwe Immigration". The receipt is not a valid visa, only a receipt that you paid for it. STGS - a visa costs the same, no matter if for two weeks or a month. What you have experienced is apparently a reasonably well known scam. We're all tired when we get to this point in our travels and just want to get on with things. It's a very easy thing to overlook, the dates in the visa. Hope this helps someone bound for beautiful Zimbabwe.

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Or.........Look the official straight in the eye and with a big smile wish him good luck, because I am getting on that plane and "she is all yours"! dancing

I did that once in Bahrain: a security guy was not going to allow me to get my two young boys the airline counter because I was not a flying passenger. I looked him in the eye and told him that that was fine but then he had to take them to the counter if they did not get on the plane then, alhamdulillah, he would have to take care of them....

Guess which father got to sort out his kids at the counter?!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote