THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    JFK to Joberg on SAA - seating question

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JFK to Joberg on SAA - seating question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone recently flown from JFK to Joberg on SAA while sitting way back in coach? I am booked on this flight this fall on my way to Tanzania, and I have a question for those with first-hand experience on this flight...

According to seatguru.com and Meliza at Travel with Guns, seat 73D is in the middle section, on the aisle, with only 3 center seats, AND it does not have a seat in front of it... so extra legroom/space.

Based on Meliza's recommendation, this is the seat I currently have reserved.

However, according to a friend of mine who just made this flight last week (over and back to visit family), there is no such seat. To her recollection, all the center sections have 4 seats and the way back is actually more cramped than a normal aisle due to the narrowing of the fuselage in the rear.

Anyone familiar with this seat and can either confirm or deny its existence?

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Type in your airline and flight number and it will give you a seating chart with a picture and an explanation about the pluses and minuses of your seat.

http://www.seatguru.com/

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I flew in that seat a few years ago. Nice not having another seat in front of you since you get a lot of extra leg room. The seat itself is narrower than the standard (like all seats without a seat in front) since the TV must retract into the armrest. The biggest drawback is the seat is close to the bathroom. You'll have a constant stream of people walking/standing in line by your seat and have the almost constant noise of the toilet flushing.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, thanks for the feedback... wonder if my friend was mistaken, or if something has changed in the past couple of years.

Frank, Seatguru is showing the configuration without a seat in front, but I wanted to confirm if that was really the case based on feedback from a friend of mine who made this flight last week.

Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I have sat in that seat also. It does exist.
The reason the seat in front of you is missing, is because there is a hatch in the floor. It is access to the life raft.
So if things go bad you know where to look. Big Grin

Posts: 761 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I have sat in this seat and it is wonderful. Now I prefer Economy Comfort as sometimes it is difficult to reserve a single seat on a specific flight. Now that this thread is here it will be even more difficult.
Cheers all.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrjulian_1970:
Has anyone recently flown from JFK to Joberg on SAA while sitting way back in coach? I am booked on this flight this fall on my way to Tanzania, and I have a question for those with first-hand experience on this flight...

According to seatguru.com and Meliza at Travel with Guns, seat 73D is in the middle section, on the aisle, with only 3 center seats, AND it does not have a seat in front of it... so extra legroom/space.

Based on Meliza's recommendation, this is the seat I currently have reserved.

However, according to a friend of mine who just made this flight last week (over and back to visit family), there is no such seat. To her recollection, all the center sections have 4 seats and the way back is actually more cramped than a normal aisle due to the narrowing of the fuselage in the rear.

Anyone familiar with this seat and can either confirm or deny its existence?

This seat does exist and I have sat in it from Dulles to Joberg. Down side is that my feet got stepped on about 100 times as people would step over in that area when passing someone in the aisle.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When my wife and I flew SAA from JFK we sat in the outside two seats and were very comfortable, plenty of leg room if I was traveling on my own I might look at a different seat.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had that seat a couple of times. on a smooth flight it is just great. on a turbulent flight, well - you are in the rear of the plane

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know the plane, I haven't flown enough to matter and never on one with center sections either so that puts me in the smaller planes.
I do know on them the engine noise is a ear/head killer just from going back to the head a couple times from up front.

I always request a window seat ahead of the wings as I like to look out and see what's under the flight. On the way back from Fla in July '11 I was put in the front bulkhead seat. Man the leg room was wonderful, but, the solid wall right in from of me was a PITA. Won't take that one again, I'd rather have less leg room than be blocked in like that.

Those big planes you guys ride in/on most have wing engines so this wouldn't apply I'm sure.

Wish you well and have a great flight.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote