New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia Air Lately?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at taking Air Namibia from Jburg to Windhoek instead of South African Air in August. Anybody flown Air Namib lately, or know someone that has. I figure it's only a 2 hr flight.....how bad can it be?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We took Air Namibia from Frankfurt direct to Windhoek in April, and back.

Excellent, even in economy - lots of legroom, good seats and as much good South African wine as you could throw down your neck.

Cuts out the J'burg hassle factor.

I have heard rumours though that it quite often just doesn't turn up - not our experience.

Posts: 196 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Great Airline, good safety record, service fine.

However Air Namibia charges for transporting / handling guns whereas SA does not. Travelled with Air Namibia last year with 3 gun cases. Added USD 600,- odd to the trip and we vowed as hunters never again Air Namibia.

Use SAA now and no issues .....

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If cancelled flights and delays are not a problem for you, then Nam Air is great. Otherwise, take SAA.

SAA from JNB to WDH first class is $320 USD.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read about the cancelled flights in the past, but have recently been told that those problems are not encountered much anymore. I'm not sure, which is why I'm asking.

We will not be taking any rifles this time, as we will just use the outfitter's guns.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JGR I haven't been on Namib air since 2007 but they were always fine back then. As I've told you before I'm waiting for them to establish a flight direct from the states to Windhoek....Namibia gets enough hunting traffic now....

Signed: A leopard by any other name Wink

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nyalubwe:
JGR I haven't been on Namib air since 2007 but they were always fine back then. As I've told you before I'm waiting for them to establish a flight direct from the states to Windhoek....Namibia gets enough hunting traffic now....

Signed: A leopard by any other name Wink

Would love to see a direct flight as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fly the JNB to WDH route many times a year. There is a reason why the SAA flights are comparatively full and frequent and Nam Air not so much. They still have scheduling problems.

SAA has between 6 to 8 flights a day (depending on time of year) to WDH. If you miss a flight or there is a mechanical, you will still get to WDH that day.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine and his group had their flight canceled a couple days before they were to fly this past year. They ended up flying SAA.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a note for something different.

I was talking with Riana at Frosch today at the Houston Safari Show as we didn't get to talk much at DSC last week. I asked her about a different Namibia routing and what she was recommending now.

She said that for about $1000 more than what I paid for British Airways Premium Economy last year that we could go Emirates Business class. Which is darn nice.

I know that wasn't the question. But I just thought I would add it in.

I think I know which way I will go.

But from Windhoek I would go SAA for sure as the number of flights is the primary reason. Also our flights on SAA were really nice too all the way around from check in, the flights, the baggage and rifles, the in flight . . all of it really. The guys in Namibia use SAA too for back and forth. He said too many times previously that Nam Air left them hanging.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote