THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    United- Interesting routing through Nigeria,

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

United- Interesting routing through Nigeria,
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm using airmiles to go from California to Durban, SA in Business class and United is sending me to Houston and then a direct flight to Lagos, Nigeria, where I pick up an SAA flight to JoBurg and then transfer to Durban.

SAA still has a baggage agreement with United so I can check my guns directly from Bakersfield, CA to Durban but I do have a 5 hour layover in Lagos. Needless to say, I am not leaving the secure side of the terminal.

Is there a Star Alliance Lounge there?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can avoid getting off the plane in Lagos, you are money ahead. At least do not leave the area of the gate. That city and country is an open sewer.

If you go through customs there, be prepared for an ordeal of pandering, threats and requests for $100 because your papers are not in order....

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there is any way to avoid Lagos I would. Gun transfers are always 100% successful there, unfortunately that does not always translate to a successful transfer to your connecting flight.

Arriving in SA without all your stuff is not particularly interesting or fun.

shame

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately using airmiles, I'm limited in my choices. I'm not leaving the secure side of the terminal.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense but your security is not the question. It's whether your gun(s) are secure. I would make sure you have a backup plan should your stuff not arrive in Joburg. Of course your stuff isn't exactly safe there either.

TIA

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a general rule of thumb. NEVER transfer guns to different air carrier in ANY African country. I know it doesn't fit your travel plans but this is a truism in the travel industry.

Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put a label that reads - "Caution, School Books" on your gun case.

No one likes to read in Africa...

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Murtala Mohammed Airport has had a major upgrade the last 2 years but still sucks.

Make 110 % sure your bags are through all the way and get your boading card for SAA in advance in US.

Arrivals and departures all same Level. Gets tricky when you have to recheck by going out and checking back in at the SAA desk.

Since Buhari came in 3 months ago everyone is very cautious on corruption from top down and this is also clear at the airport.

At the top of the spiral staircase there is a general Lounge (also used by United) and SAA has there own (very simple) Lounge but it does have cold beer!

When you board the SAA flight I would ask the pursur to confirm on the baggage manifest that the gun case is on board.

Good luck !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Murtala Mohammed Airport has had a major upgrade the last 2 years but still sucks.

Make 110 % sure your bags are through all the way and get your boading card for SAA in advance in US.

Arrivals and departures all same Level. Gets tricky when you have to recheck by going out and checking back in at the SAA desk.

Since Buhari came in 3 months ago everyone is very cautious on corruption from top down and this is also clear at the airport.

At the top of the spiral staircase there is a general Lounge (also used by United) and SAA has there own (very simple) Lounge but it does have cold beer!

When you board the SAA flight I would ask the pursur to confirm on the baggage manifest that the gun case is on board.

Good luck !

Thanks, Charlie.

Frank

Picture of KentF
posted Hide Post
I am now living in Lagos and comments about Lagos airport are accurate and that direct flight (Dream Liner) from Houston is nice in business class. I just took that flight from Lagos to JNB a couple of weeks ago and South Africa Airlines is Star Alliance partner.

My only warning about S. Africa Airlines is there silly 8 kg limit for carry on luggage. My wife and I packed light with only carry on luggage, they made us both check our bags because we exceeded 8 kg limit. On trip back my wife put some of her stuff in my checked bag so she wouldn't have to check her bag. I was rolling her less than 8 kg carry bad and my back pack and they stopped us as we were boarding to make us gate check the bag Mad because only one carry on limit. Wife was carrying a few shopping bags, guess Karma is a bitch! Wink

S. Africa also had cancelled my connection to Port Elizabeth about 2 weeks before our departure and rebooked me on a later connection with 12 hr layover in JNB. I called them and rebooked that segment on Mango Airlines, similar to our Southwest Airlines.

Lagos airport is a joke, talk about ass backwards! On return from RSA I carried a backstop from eland i harvested. Customs didn't even stop us, just don't make eye contact and keep walking. Eeker

Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 2 | Location: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: 21 September 2015Reply With Quote