THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    U.S. cell phones in South Africa...Verizon in Particular

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. cell phones in South Africa...Verizon in Particular
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone here have any experience using a Verizon based cell phone in South Africa? For Canada one just signs on for a $5.00 fee for each day the U.S. based phone is used in Canada. From the Verizon website it appears this is the same for South Africa except the fee is $10. I have used my Verizon phone in Canada and the system works as advertised. Anyone with direct experience in South Africa? Especially in the Polokwane / Mokopane areas?

Posts: 36 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You might like to look at international esims available on the Net.

For us we get an option to sign to a both data and voice whenever we arrive in a foreign country.

It comes with a message from our embassy welcoming us in that country and providing an emergency phone number should it be needed.

Packages normally cost about $8 per day per weekly package.

I always use these when traveling.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Verizon works in South Africa. It also worked in Zim. While we were in Nyakasanga it hit a Zambian cell tower and worked off that as well. Your results may vary.

Posts: 117 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for one person/device? Then just paying your normal carrier fees might be just as easy and about the same price BUT if you have multiple phones or devices you want to connect, I would suggest something like a mobile hotspot like this one:

Huawei E5577

Buy a SIM once you arrive. Then multiple phones or devices can connect to that mobile hotspot and use all the usual wifi-related services. Including texting or calling via WhatsApp or Facetime. Not as good as having a regular cell signal but pretty close and saves $$ if you have many devices that need to connect. It's what I use when we travel so I don't have to pay the $10 a day per line for everyone. It gets the job done.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Verizon TravelPass is $10 per day.. Full coverage in RSA, Botswana, Zambia, parts of Zim.. Nothing in Namibia - no roaming agreement I would assume..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the $10 per day in South Africa and Zimbabwe with Verizon and paid for only the days I used it. You can also convert to the international plan for a flat $100 per month.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
Just for one person/device? Then just paying your normal carrier fees might be just as easy and about the same price BUT if you have multiple phones or devices you want to connect, I would suggest something like a mobile hotspot like this one:

Huawei E5577

Buy a SIM once you arrive. Then multiple phones or devices can connect to that mobile hotspot and use all the usual wifi-related services. Including texting or calling via WhatsApp or Facetime. Not as good as having a regular cell signal but pretty close and saves $$ if you have many devices that need to connect. It's what I use when we travel so I don't have to pay the $10 a day per line for everyone. It gets the job done.

The problem with Huwei is they are a Chinese company and there is real concern about info security. Plus newer iPhones don’t have SIM cards, instead using eSIM technology.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

We always get an MTN phone card for a few cents and buy air local air time. Quick, cheap and works every time.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I don’t have Verizon but AT&T.

I have an iPhone and have the WhatsApp.

I call AT&T every year before going and they give me some sort of $10/day international plan. When I touch down in RSA…I always have service — usually MTM but sometimes another that starts with a V.

Between the cell-signal and WiFi at camp with WhataApp…I have enough communication via my iPhone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36537 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Not really an answer to your question, but you might want to use T-Mobile if you are going to travel regularly. 215 countries without an extra roaming charge. Calls are .25 per minute, WiFi calls to the USA are free, unlimited texting, and slow data included. The slow data is enough to check email. I usually purchase for $50 for 30 days high speed data, so I can use google maps and other data intensive apps.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Scott Powell said; $10/day whenever you turn it on.

I keep it on airplane mode & text via WhatsApp unless I really need service.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
Verizon TravelPass is $10 per day.. Full coverage in RSA, Botswana, Zambia, parts of Zim.. Nothing in Namibia - no roaming agreement I would assume..

Agree with Scott. Unlimited voice, text and data.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote