THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Coming to Joberg from US? i need help please

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coming to Joberg from US? i need help please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,

I am in need of some new .458wm brass. anyone coming to Joberg that would be willing to throw in a packet or two of new brass and bring it over to me?

I am willing to negotiate on services rendered..... a beer and perhaps import permits or the like.

Thanks

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have about 80 rounds of unfired Winchester brass to donate. I'll be coming thru Joberg sometime in July---date is not finalized yet. I'll keep you posted.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
If 7kongoni can't pull thru, let me know. I'll be in Joburg the evening of Aug 3rd and staying at the Afton House.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be arriving in Joburg on June 2 and will be staying at Afton House. I will be more than happy to bring some 458 brass. Please send an e-mail to confirmtimvining@msn.com

Tim

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I hate to rain on anyone's day, especially as all of you are being very kind to do this to a deserving man.

But, please check the requiremnts of travelling with components through international airlines and airports.

Things are NOT what they used to be, and I sure don't want to see anyone getting into a hassle for this.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67354 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brass needs to match rifle being imported, I dont know how close they check. If one is willing to haul said rifle and either ammo or brass in same it should be no problem.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never even considered that brass would be a problem. Since my rifle is a 470, I'm backing out on my offer. Sorry. The last thing I want is trouble at THAT airport. Thanks for the eye opener. This is why this site is so valuable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even though I am bringing a 416 Rem Mag, I didn't think empty brass would be a problem. My apologies to .458, as I will also bow out.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Saeed is correct . . . . . . . as usual! Big Grin(Don't tell Walter)

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I am coming July 27 and bringing a .458. Send me an e-mail and I will do all I can to help...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
After Saeed posted, I got to thinking I am going to RSA to hunt and not see the inside of a jail cell. I'm sorry but I'll need to respectfulle decline my previous offer.

I wish you luck getting some brass.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the offers. 7kongoni, graybird and tim vining! Tim Herald i will definately be in touch.

Saeed is correct re procedures, etc, though i stand to be corrected: if you are traveling with decomissioned ammunition, etc, and like in this case if the ammo has no primer in it then there will not be a problem - i would just a bag of the brass in the bottom of my tuffpack. in January i brought back 15 boxes with Barnes tips and a bag of brass without any issues and i was not traveling with firearms from the US, TSA even checked and let it go on without any issues.

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim Herald,
I have 80 rounds of new, unprimed 458wm brass to donate if you are willing to pack it over there. Send me your shipping address and I'll get it to you. Thanks for coming thru.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
PM Sent...I should have 60-80 pieces of once fired brass that I will bring along as well.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious if anyone has checked with TSA, the airline they are using and SAPS in RSA about this lately? Seems this would clear up any issues and would dictate whether one would/could help .458 Aubs out? A letter from SAPS would go a long way in taking the uneasy feelings out of this venture.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have heard of travellers going through Europe, with no guns or ammo. But carrying components, who have gotten in trouble.

Posts: 67354 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend my clients do this unless they had the empty brass officially documented and declared with the airlines and customs in each country I would be entering. It only takes one ignorant official somewhere along your route to ruin your safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Isn't 458 Winchester brass available in South Africa?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ammo certainly is. Not sure about brass.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi all thanks for all the help and concern, brass and ammo is available but ammo at extremely high prices and well brass is another story all together.

but that being said i am seeing a couple of high ranking SAPS official and will ask them for a letter re it, lets see what they say. i will also ask a legal begal who knows his way around RSA firearm laws, etc.

Thanks once again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gether done boy and we'll get some brass to ya.asap Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would avoid taking ANY ammo or components into any African country if it is not for the rifle I am taking.

There are far too many variables here, and for the sake of saving some money, it is not worth the risk.

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458Aubs:
Hi Guys,

I am in need of some new .458wm brass. anyone coming to Joberg that would be willing to throw in a packet or two of new brass and bring it over to me?

I am willing to negotiate on services rendered..... a beer and perhaps import permits or the like.
I like AR readers. Mostly good attitudes and helpfull. I have brought ammo that did not match my rifles, but I did have the PH include a request for it in a letter if invitation. It worked in SA and Zim. Tom
Thanks

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote