THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Gun Permit for Minor in Namibia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Permit for Minor in Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be bringing my father and 10 year old son to Namibia this summer. Right now we are planning to take 5 rifles. My father and I will be sharing 3 rifles. My son will be using a couple youth model 7mm-08's.

With the airlines, I plan to check 2 rifles under my name, 2 rifles under my father's name and 1 under my son's name. We have 3 double rifle cases.

My question is,...will my son need a gun permit in Namibia?, or should(can) we put 3 rifles under my name and 2 with my father??

Thanks for the assistance!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd check with my travel agent, but I'm not sure you can check a firearm under someone that young's name. Before I get crucified if I'm wrong, I have this vague memory, not a certainty.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Texas Blue Devil,
Call me regarding the legality of a minor
(under the age of 18) exporting a firearm from the United States.

708-425-3552

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, actually it wasn't a vague memory, I was just trying to be circumspect.......you know, my usual diplomatic nature..... clap

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My son will be using a couple youth model 7mm-08's.

Whatever the issue with transportation, another problem you have is that a person may not bring more than one rifle of a given caliber to Namibia. You don't mention the calibers of the three rifles youa and your father intend to share, but if two are of the same caliber, be sure that one is listed as yours and the other as your father's.

Why do you think your son will need more than one gun, particularly if both are the same caliber? If as a "back up" in case of a problem with his primary gun, then I would suggest that your main problem is potentially in lost luggage. Once your guns arrive, they are unlikely to experience any disabling event.

Here is another way to tackle the problem: You and your father are allowed two checked bags each. Check two gun cases in your name; check one gun case and your father's personal bag in his name; and check your personal bag and your son's personal bag in your son's name. This avoids checking any firearms in your son's name.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The issue has nothing do due with checking the bags on the airlines. The issue is getting the gun permit in Namibia. I have traveled with my whole family and numerous guns on several occassions. All the luggage (guns, suitcases) are checked in my name. As long as we meet the total restrictions for the number of tickets (4 tickets = 8 bags), this has never been a problem.

Once you arrive in Namibia, you collect all the bags, and you and your father can get two firearms permits. I would suggest 4 guns for the three of you, and two guns per permit will work extremely well. It matters not a lick who will be hunting with each rifle.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
TBD, you can take a permit out on your name only for all the guns. If some of them are duplicate calibers, the officer in charge might want to split the guns, but I have seen permits with up to four hunters guns on one permit.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 19 May 2009 19:19 Hide Post
Well, actually it wasn't a vague memory, I was just trying to be circumspect.......you know, my usual diplomatic nature...

Confused jumping rotflmo clap

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote