THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Anyone from UK been through Jo'berg recently with firearms?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone from UK been through Jo'berg recently with firearms?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for someone from the UK with their UK firearms permit who has been through Jo'berg recently to get an update on the efficiency or otherwise of the SAPS office.
Please pm me

COUNTRYSPORTS.
Established 1984. Web sites: www.countrysports.co.uk & www.fishinginuk.co.uk SCOTLAND, ENGLAND, POLAND, SOUTH AFRICA

Posts: 95 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MattMck
posted Hide Post
Went through last September. PH meets you off the plane with paperwork, go to firearms office with him, get granted the permit and pick up your guns. Was more efficient than the UK side!
Matt

I do not hunt in order to kill, but kill in order that I have hunted.

'If ur'e gonna do it, do it right!'

Posts: 77 | Location: England | Registered: 12 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
As long as you have all the right paperwork in order it's fairly smooth and fairly fast..... if you use one of the meet and greet services such as offered by PHASA or Aubs458 who posts here, it's even faster and smoother.

These might help:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...-regulations.html#sa

http://www.shakariconnection.c...nting-directory.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Aubrey

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got my licence through PHASA who arranged that we were met in Oliver Tambo airport, and the licences were there waiting for us, took us all of 5 minutes to get through (3 of us)!!
The lovely lady who was the PHASA rep, took us through the internal flight firearms inspection as well and that was that. Would do it again in a flash, and all for $140. The faces of the chaps who were waiting for their licences in the SAPS office alone was worth the fee!

bw

Finman

better have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went through in March with a shotgun, and it was absolutely no problems. I guess we waited in the queue for 20 minutes and were in our car within an hour and a half of landing.

Posts: 261 | Location: Invercargill | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your feedback so far. The indication I have had from other sources is that as long as you have completed your application form (but not signed it) + have photocopy of your passport + UK FAC when you go to the SAPS office, then the meet and greet service which was very important a year or two back, is now not really necessary.
So I'm really asking folk (with UK FACs) who have been through this year without using meet & greet and pre applying.

COUNTRYSPORTS.
Established 1984. Web sites: www.countrysports.co.uk & www.fishinginuk.co.uk SCOTLAND, ENGLAND, POLAND, SOUTH AFRICA

Posts: 95 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It's not really about having a UK FAC, a Euro firearms ppt or a US permit etc...... As long as your application ticks all the boxes then it's a fairly fast process.

The delay comes when someone in front of you or your own application doesn't tick all the boxes...... the advantages of using one of the agents is that they ensure (beforehand) that your application DOES tick all the boxes and that if there's a queue of any kind, you go straight to the head of the queue.