Notify
Tools

Air Tanzania grounded
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Folks

FWIW, My travel agent has just informed me that Air Tanzania has just been been grounded for safety issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall reading an article a couple of years ago about airlines listed as unsafe by the Airline Passengers Association. (I think that is the correct name.) There were about 35 lines listed, and every one of them was an African line.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It's not just African airlines that get grounded for the same reason. I'm going from memory here but am pretty sure it's happened to Azteca (Mexico) Aerocalifornia (USA), ATAS (Australia), Korean, Russian and if I remember correctly, Value Jet.

One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
AeroCalifornia is/was a Mexican airline based in La Paz Baja California Sur. They have had a number of issues over the last several years and, according to Wickipedia, are currently under suspension for financial reasons.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scariest part of our buffalo hunt in Zim (To include my new bride being charged!) was flying Air Zim from Vic Falls to Harare!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
+1

I noticed a flap that was cockeyed (only one side worked) and a hole in the wing on my scare zim flight.

Eeker

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
The scariest part of our buffalo hunt in Zim (To include my new bride being charged!) was flying Air Zim from Vic Falls to Harare!

We will pray for you. I might drive, the country can not afford coffee yet alone maintenance on aircraft

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The surprising thing is they've been grounded for safety issues. I'm amazed anybody noticed. Last time I looked, which was quite a while ago, African carriers accounted for around fifty per cent of the world's airline fatalities. Hunting DG is nothing compared to the risk you take climbing onto an African air carrier.

(edit)
The following is excerpted from International Air Transport Association's 44th annual Safety Report from May, 2008...

Africa had the worst record at 4.09 hull losses per million flights. “While this is an improvement over last year, it is still six times less safe to fly in Africa than the rest of the world. IATA is working side-by-side with our African members to bring them up to IOSA standards. And we just announced a US$3.7 million programme to give up to 30 African carriers access to IATA’s Flight Data Analysis service for a three-year period,” said Bisignani.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
AeroCalifornia is/was a Mexican airline

Flew the LAX to Loreto route years ago and no problems but they are indeed toast...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote