THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    This sub-forum’s description is: Post Your Dates Of Travel To Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This sub-forum’s description is: Post Your Dates Of Travel To Africa
 Login/Join

Picture of TreeWalker
posted
So confused. I do not see any trip dates listed.

I will be in Limpopo region of South Africa from April 25 to May 6, 2024. Now, everyone relax knowing order is restored to this sub-forum. You are welcome.

My first trip to the continent. Likely the only trip as I have a travel bucket list which needs attention as I retire just before this trip. Yes, there will be fences. Not a trip for everyone. I expect to shoot a lot and hunt very, very little. There will be no double rifle brought up onto sticks. No canvas tent pitched on the Serengeti. No cats nor giant tuskers to stare down.

I will see things I have never previously seen and observe things that make me realize how fortunate I am to leave footprints in the dirt during my visit yet be able to parachute back into my privileged though relatively modest life by American standards. I will be humbled by how little my skills honed from growing up on Midwestern plains plinking at cottontails then hunting for big critters for four decades in the mountains and deserts of Western states are applicable far, far from home. I will be uncomfortable and likely awkward. I will write in a journal as I have on hunts since moved out West.

I will years later reach for the journal on some wintry day, read a few pages of notes about the temperature, the vegetation, the smells, then nod off in the rocking chair as a cape buffalo appears. Will my shot be steady and accurate? Time will tell. In my dreams, I am Walter Mitty. The shot will fly true.

Posts: 23 | Location: Northwest | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy every minute of it.

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, enjoy it. To some extent just go with the flow. You'll see what I mean when you get there. Africa moves to it's own rhythm but it's wonderful and it's a privilege to experience it.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote