New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Plains Game Hunt !!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can't believe it. 73 years old, and I'm going on my first Safari. Retired 12 years ago and since then I've been in the planning, saving the pennies stage.
The bug was planted after seeing my first "Tarzan" and "Frank Buck" movie's when I was around 8 years old.
Will be hunting with Omujeve Hunting Safaris, Namibia from May 25 thru June 3, 2013.
My wife and I will take Delta out of Atlanta to Johnnesburg on May 23; spend the night at Africa Sky and on to Windhoek the next day. Return to Atlanta on June 4.
I want to give a lot of credit to "Blank" who has hunted Omujeve many times. He gave me a lot of very, very good information.

MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's funny, your post count and your age are the same.

Good luck, go with the flow and have fun. If something goes wrong just remember, "it's Africa"

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

You're not the only one that was infected by that bug in childhood. Of course, the reality is a great deal different from the perceptions of a child. Even so, it's every bit as good as your 8 year-old imagination featured.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was also infected with the African Bug around age 8.
Took my first 2 safaris to Namibia.
It is truly a beautiful country & very easy getting in & out with your firearms.
I think my wife would move to Namibia if she could.
Hope you have a wonderful trip & looking forward to reading your report.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
The Krugers are great people. Cannot wait to go there myself. Blanks son is filmimg my Botswana trip in three weeks.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for the kudos and appreciation. Just paying it forward, as they say; hope it helped. You may even get to watch it all on television before you go. Wouldn't that be something.

They are just leaving for the Caprivi for a couple ele and buffalo hunts, and I will also look forward to your full report when you get back. I know it will be over the top, and you will have the time of your lives.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mauser K 98,

Have a great time! If you have to be infected with something, the African Bug is the best to have. Great your wife can go with you. Go with the flow and make a plan.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your trip! You are going to love it.

A buddy and myself had tossed around the idea of a South Africa hunt for years but thought it was too exotic for us, plus thought it would be too expensive. He ended up bidding on a hunt package at an RMEF national meeting and won it. That set us up for a honest to goodness Africa hunt! Woowho! That was in 2009. We're going again in next month.

You'll hear it said, and it's true, you'll be planning your next trip on your flight home even at 73!

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations you are going to have a great time

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Africa is wonderful at any age! tu2