New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lufthansa update
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There was a thread here a while ago regarding the possibility of Lufthansa charging extra fees for rifles. I just returned from a Lufthansa/Air Namibia, Detroit-Frankfurt-Windhoek trip.

Steve Turner made my flight arrangements and we discussed this issue in advance. Steve told me that since I was flying from the US, Luft would use the "piece method" of pricing rather than weight and that by checking my bags through to Windhoek from Detroit, I would be allowed two bags at 50lbs each for no additional charge. Firearms are considered oversize sports equipment like golf clubs. Before flying, I verified Steve's information with Luft.

When I checked-in in Detroit, I told the lady that I wanted to check the bags through to Windhoek. She told me her system only showed going to Frankfurt. I showed her the itinerary Steve provided and she responded that it would be no problem. I watched her put tags on my bags that showed flying to Windhoek via Frankfurt.

An interesting note regarding Luft, they keep firearms segregated from regular luggage under lock and key (I am told). A couple weeks before the flight I had to supply Steve with the rifle make and caliber (no serial number) for Lufthansa.

I spent 12hrs in Frankfurt and my bag and rifle met me in Windhoek without a hitch.

When I returned, it was the same process in reverse. When I boarded the Luft flight in Frankfurt I showed the purser my ticket to find my seat. She then asked me "have you been hunting"? I must have given her a puzzled look because she said she had seen my name on the passenger list as transporting firearms. She was quite inquisitive regarding the safari and provided wonderful service for the flight. I like the extra security because I believe it makes it more likely my rifle will show up on the other end.

When I landed in Detroit, customs was looking for me to match me up with my rifle that Lufthansa had transferred to them. The customs guys were friendly, helpful (several of them hunt), and professional.

I had a good experience flying firearms with Lufthansa and Air Namibia. However, I would advise the prospective international hunter to utilize the services of a travel agent that specializes in hunters. Both Steve Turner and Kathi Klimes are regular posters on this site.

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote