THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    New Gun Procedure in Atlanta

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Gun Procedure in Atlanta
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I traveled through Atlanta on the way back from Moz last fall and then again two weeks ago , returning from a hunt in Argentina. Guns are no longer delivered to the oversize luggage door in the customs area. You now go to a little office that customs has set up in the corner ( on your right as you enter the baggage claim area after getting your passport stamped). They deliver the guns directly to that office, the guns are compared to your 4457 form. There is a Dept of Ag rep there too, asking if you were on a farm. He then washes your boots down. Also, the customs guy asked if I had my RENARS (argentine gun permit) form with me. I asked if that was required, he said no. But wanted to see it anyway. Also, those returning (I'll pst this in the south american hunting forum as well) from Buenos Aires, MAKE SURE that you give a copy of your RENARS form to the departing Immigration official, I offered it to the gall in the booth as she stamped my passport. She didn't seem interested in it. I took it and went for my gate. Just before boarding my flight, they paged me. I ad to return to get the gun departure form. BTW- I traveled with my short Tuffpak. First time I had my ammo in a locked ammo box, in with the rifle. I thought the ammo had to be in a locked ammo box, in a separate checked bag. I guess it's a Airline policy, not TSA. Delta seemed OK with it. But European airlines require the separate baggage thing?? Is that right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up!!!!!
Mominer, my wife and I leave for Namibia on May 22 and return to Atlanta June 4.

Thanks again.
MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope the info helps, have fun in Namibia. That place is on my bucket list. If you are using atlanta for travel. Then you are going via Jo'burg. Heads up on gun transfer there. My guns never made it out of the SAPs office on my Mozambique trip. I was told the system is as follows: Delta take the guns off their flight to a SAPs office. The airline you are tranfering to is then obligated to go to that office to collect the guns and then get them to the final destination. In my case LAM Mozambique didn't bother to do so for a week. I had to use a loaner gun. I am going back this August. I plan to Travel via South African all the way to Tete (no over night required in Jo'burg), Then I will Charter to Lachinga.

one of us
posted Hide Post
mominer,

Your experience is why I recommend my clients retrieve their luggage in O.R. Tembo, go through the SAPS process and physically check their luggage on to their connecting flight.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12915 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the Atlanta thing in March. It seemed a much better system to me.

Posts: 41831 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That was how it was in Atlanta last September when Bwanna and I returned from Zimbabwe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mominer:
I traveled through Atlanta on the way back from Moz last fall and then again two weeks ago , returning from a hunt in Argentina. Guns are no longer delivered to the oversize luggage door in the customs area. You now go to a little office that customs has set up in the corner ( on your right as you enter the baggage claim area after getting your passport stamped). They deliver the guns directly to that office, the guns are compared to your 4457 form. There is a Dept of Ag rep there too, asking if you were on a farm. He then washes your boots down. Also, the customs guy asked if I had my RENARS (argentine gun permit) form with me. I asked if that was required, he said no. But wanted to see it anyway. Also, those returning (I'll pst this in the south american hunting forum as well) from Buenos Aires, MAKE SURE that you give a copy of your RENARS form to the departing Immigration official, I offered it to the gall in the booth as she stamped my passport. She didn't seem interested in it. I took it and went for my gate. Just before boarding my flight, they paged me. I ad to return to get the gun departure form. BTW- I traveled with my short Tuffpak. First time I had my ammo in a locked ammo box, in with the rifle. I thought the ammo had to be in a locked ammo box, in a separate checked bag. I guess it's a Airline policy, not TSA. Delta seemed OK with it. But European airlines require the separate baggage thing?? Is that right?

A little off the subject but where did you hunt in Mozambique last fall and how did it go?

Thanks

Posts: 1883 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mominer:
Hope the info helps, have fun in Namibia. That place is on my bucket list. If you are using atlanta for travel. Then you are going via Jo'burg. Heads up on gun transfer there. My guns never made it out of the SAPs office on my Mozambique trip. I was told the system is as follows: Delta take the guns off their flight to a SAPs office. The airline you are tranfering to is then obligated to go to that office to collect the guns and then get them to the final destination. In my case LAM Mozambique didn't bother to do so for a week. I had to use a loaner gun. I am going back this August. I plan to Travel via South African all the way to Tete (no over night required in Jo'burg), Then I will Charter to Lachinga.

I understood this was the practice for overnight flight schedules, but not necessarily relatively quick transfers ....

I checked straight through to final destination in ZIM last year without any problems (2 hour layover) and have heard of many others doing the same without any problems.

On an earlier trip, a buddy checked his gun straight through to Namibia, but we stayed overnight in SA, and encountered your same problem.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats what I experienced last August.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safai2 asked where I hunted in Moz. I ended up hunting about 4 hours drive west of Tete. Area called Mosale. Hunted with Graham Cawood of Naysai Safari.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in Namibia in May of this year. Checked my guns all the way through to Windhoek on SAA, and had no problems. I can't imagine going through all the RSA hassle with gun permits just to recheck my guns to Windhoek. One of the real joys of traveling to Namibia is not having any hassles with firearms. It is easier to get your rifles into Namibia than it is to get back to the US.

I had about a 5 hour layover in Jo'berg, and just connected normally to Windhoek. Firearms registration took less than 5 minutes in Windhoek, was professional, and nobody wanted a "tip". A very organized, pleasant country to hunt.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote