New
Find
Notify
Tools

Victoria Falls Hotel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does the main restaurant at the Victoria Falls Hotel require guys to wear a dinner jacket for the evening meal?

Any other dress codes for this area a first timer needs to be aware of?

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Goldfinch
posted Hide Post
I dont think they actually "require" a jacket, but you will be the only one in there without one. In other words, plan on it. Now, a "dinner jacket" may not be required, but I would bring a travel sports coat. This will suffice.

"Sleep When You're Dead!"

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Goldfinch
posted Hide Post
ps, bring a comfortable pair of shoes with good traction on them for the falls. Dont try to be cute and wear your moccasin sneak boots. Those rocks are slippery and slimy.

"Sleep When You're Dead!"

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I found a simple cotton unlined sport coat in an olive color, similar to a safari jacket but with a sport coat design. For a tie I wore a green and black Zebra striped handkerchief as an ascot. No problem. This was back in 1997. One of my favorite hotels in the world. And they still respected and enjoyed having hunters as guests. Staff was very interested in where and what I was hunting.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I stayed there last September and they only require slacks and a collared shirt. Virtually no one was wearing a jacket and, sadly, some ignored the requested attire completely and were wearing jeans.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
butchbuck,

I'm not much of a traditionalist as far as Africa goes but if your in Vic Falls you need to have dinner at the Victoria Falls Hotel. Pack a sports jacket and a tie. It will take little room in your luggage and allow you to have a real 'Old Africa" experience.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I would wear what I needed to wear to have dinner at the Victoria Falls Hotel! What a great place. If it doesn't make you feel like "old Africa" I don't know what would! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I love all that "civilized" stuff. Smiler Had to do it while growing up and I miss it. Nothing ruins an atmospeheremore than to see a bunch of bumkins at a good restaturant wearing jeans, pocket T shirts and of course stupid ballcaps with their sunglasses atop the cap. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge, I couldn't agree more--men should NEVER wear a hat indoors, and especially at the dinner table! Unfortunately, this breach of etiquette is not restricted to hickbobs or young people--I see men in their 50's and 60's in restaurants wearing caps or hats.

USA Ret

Posts: 69 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 02 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
jorge: +2! tu2

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
458: I guess I used the term "bumpkin" as all-encompassing. Lack of class comes in every flavor! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Vic Falls hotel is one of the great places in Africa. Take the jacket and tie, and don't forget to have high tea on the veranda.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge:

A bumpkin can be from any socio-economic group--it's manners, not income or social status, that separates folks like us from the knuckle-draggers.

Posts: 69 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 02 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Exactly. One only need look at our most affluent to see a local absence of class. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member