THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Manual transmission question for "wrong side" vehicles

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manual transmission question for "wrong side" vehicles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
OK, yeah, I'm an American, and I'm used to steering wheels on the left side (the PROPER side!) of the car. When I was in Namibia, of course, they were on the right side and I ended up paying twice as much for an automatic rental car because I didn't feel comfortable driving a stick like that.

However, IF I got back and want to rent, I think I'll want to save some money and get the manual.

Now, silly question, but:

With the cars I'm used to, first and second gear are closest to the right leg and then go out to 5th (and reverse) from left to right - you end up with your hand farthest away from you for 5th gear and to go into reverse.

Is it opposite for vehicles with the steering wheel on the right? Meaning, does first and second start off closest to the left leg and then progress outward?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
You get the award for the most questions I have never heard asked on the internet before! Big Grin

Truth is you will get used to it, you may jam a gear here and there, but ... hey, it's a rental! Who cares!

Gears are one thing. It's those dang right hand turns that get me!

By the way, that is my favorite Roosevelt quote in your sig line. thumb

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No- shift pattern ws the same a left hand drive cars- at least on the Yaris and Land Crusier I drove. I however did find myself flipping on the wipers on the Yaris while attempting to make a turn the first day or two Smiler
You will do fine I'm sure.

Jimmy

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shift pattern the same on the Renault I drove for several weeks in the UK... 1st- top left, etc.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the same/opposite problem driving in Europe. (That's France, Germany etc. UK is not part Europe!!)
To be honest I can't remember which way round the gears go, other than it's completely natural... The hardest bit is stopping at a junction and reaching down to change gear with your normal hand to find nothing. Embarassing if you have a passenger watching!!

Posts: 120 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

You are fretting over it way too much. As has been stated you will have no problem making the switch...maybe smoothing a few gears out a bit but after a few minutes of driving you'll get the hang of it. And it would be far better for you to focus on driving properly on the road and not taking off any mirrors, hitting a curb etc than to worry about shifiting gears. I go to the UK frequently and drive there without problem. We drove all around the northern half of Namibia in 2006 with a right hand/manual drive and had no problems....now on the other hand coming back to the US after driving on the "wrong" side of the road for a week or so and readjusting could be interesting. First day back I drove down to the hardware store in the early morning about 2 miles before I realized I was I was back home....luckily no one killed or injured Smiler

Good luck,
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimD:
No- shift pattern ws the same a left hand drive cars- at least on the Yaris and Land Crusier I drove. I however did find myself flipping on the wipers on the Yaris while attempting to make a turn the first day or two Smiler
You will do fine I'm sure.

Jimmy

Gods above, I did that with the wipers TOO often - LOL - it is like a big neon sign that says, "TOURIST DRIVING!"

OK, so they just switch the steering wheel location and wipers/turn signals but nothing else - I'll get used to it, though having the spousal unit along to "back seat drive" will be . . . . fun? shame

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Well, Dad always said, "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people" . . . wait, what? Confused

Ah well, at least when someone eventually asks the same questions you all can simply say, "Ask JohnCrighton - he's already asked THAT one" LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
You get the award for the most questions I have never heard asked on the internet before! Big Grin

Truth is you will get used to it, you may jam a gear here and there, but ... hey, it's a rental! Who cares!

Gears are one thing. It's those dang right hand turns that get me!

By the way, that is my favorite Roosevelt quote in your sig line. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here on St. Thomas we drive on the left side of the road and while most vehicles are left hand drive we have one landrover pickup with right hand drive. the hardest thing to get into your head is you are shifting with your left hand, other than that you should have no problems.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:
Ah well, at least when someone eventually asks the same questions you all can simply say, "Ask JohnCrighton - he's already asked THAT one" LOL

Big Grin

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't have too much trouble shifting...the wifers were always going on though. Remember at all corners if your wife was in the passenger seat...."keep the bitch in the ditch" and you'll navigate fine.

the chef

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Forward gear layout is always the same but reverse gear varies by manufacturer...... however, can I point out that whilst you guys might drive on the right side of the road, we drive on the correct side of the road. Wink

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
I didn't have too much trouble shifting...the wifers were always going on though. Remember at all corners if your wife was in the passenger seat...."keep the bitch in the ditch" and you'll navigate fine.

the chef

Yeah, I'm sure that one will go over REAL well with my wife - LOL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Confirmed that gearboxes come in one flavour only, and I've never come across a car with a different gear shift pattern.

As Steve points out, the reverse can be in a different position depending on manufacturers.

Now, Steve, on all the roads I've ever come across there are two sides, and two only.

If one is the Right side, it comes to sense that the other one is the Wrong side. Quod erat demonstrandum. Wink

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Forward gear layout is always the same but reverse gear varies by manufacturer...... however, can I point out that whilst you guys might drive on the right side of the road, we drive on the correct side of the road. Wink

Once you learn to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission you can drive an automatic - unfortunately it doesn't work the lazy way round. dancing

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I so glad I'm not the only one who has had this same thing happen wipers are a pain when your shifting from 4th. to reverse OHHHHHHyour not to do that!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
If you think driving a right hand drive car in Africa is a difficulty you should have a right hand drive in the US. Had a Lotus for some years in California and believe you it is an experience that makes Africa a piece of cake. Passing on a busy two lane road is an experience you have to live thru to appreciate.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
A big left hand drive truck on African roads ain't easy either. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the old lady get a new paint and some extra? Looks much shinier than last time I saw her!

Nice job!

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
No new paint but she'd just been washed and polished......... she scrubs up nice huh?

I can't remember if you saw the latest addition, but in case you didn't........

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been driving rental cars in Ireland a few times, and as a "right side driver" the main problem was roundabouts and the gearshift.

The gear box has the same configuration as many have stated, but I tended to slip into 3. gear instead of 1. quite so often, with a stalled car as a result Mad

In my own car I pull the lever towards me to get in 1. gear, but on the cars with the steering wheel on the right hand side, one have to push the lever over to the left to engage the 1. gear.

After a little while it did work out quite well, and when we put a small Norwegian flag in the rear window, people just waved and smiled when we stalled in traffic ligt or junction...

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The gearbox you can get over by hiring an auto transmission, but the problem I have with driving on the wrong side of the road is turning across the traffic and roundabouts. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

That bike was not there last time, I sure would remember... Nice classic! You're lucky to live in a place were they have good roads (well, "still have")!

Philip

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hi Phillip

I'm thinking of adding a 650 BSA Rocket Gold Star and a Kawa Z900 to the collection but we're also thinking of moving down to KZN where the roads are nowhere near as good, so it's really one thing or the other........ time will tell I guess!!