New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liquid bottles on planes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a questio for those that have been to South Africa from the USA. I hear of the TSA people not allowing bottles of shampoo etc on the plane unless they are real small etc. What about just leaving them at home and buying some when you get to South Africa? Also we will be fling into Joeberg then to Capetown for 4 days. Then fly to Port Elizabeth to hunt for 12 days and back to PE for a day before returning to the states. Will we need to get new shampoo etc after each flight? We will be flying SAA.

Another question. Any ammo we do not use can we just leave it with the PH when we leave Africa?

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the TSA website and it will answer your questions.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just consider this another blessing from "The Religion of Peace".

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The botttle size allowed for liquids is 3oz I believe. You can either take a couple to get you thru your trip or if you run out buy some there and refill your bottle.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can CHECK any size you wish to carry.

Since 2006, You may only CARRY ON only 3.4oz bottles as described on the TSA website. All your CARRY ON liquids must fit in a quart size plastic bag, and be scanned separately at security.

And you should be able to find any additional supplies that you need in Cape Town or PE. Though likely not USA brands.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
What the hell? You're hunting, dishwash liquid will git it done! Top knot might be a little unruley! Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Divernhunter:

Another question. Any ammo we do not use can we just leave it with the PH when we leave Africa?

Thanks for any help.

Technically speaking it's illegal and if they're homeloads, it's also illegal in that regard as well..... I'm not suggesting you should or shouldn't leave ammo but if you do, just don't admit it. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Just don't do it is better advice. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is ok. I asked about the ammo because I just did not want to bring it home. I want to bring some trinkets etc and did not want to worry about weight. But I sue do not want myself or the PH/outfitter to have problems also.

That is why I asked those that have gone there before.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Divernhunter:
That is ok. I asked about the ammo because I just did not want to bring it home. I want to bring some trinkets etc and did not want to worry about weight. But I sue do not want myself or the PH/outfitter to have problems also.

That is why I asked those that have gone there before.

I forgot two boxes of 375 H&H ammo on the table when I was packing up to leave Zim.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12594 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Extra ammo? What's that? No such thing as "extra ammo". I "always" shoot all the ammo I take to Africa. Roll Eyes That's why I take it, plenty more here at home.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
...plenty more here at home.
Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari,

I'm kind of OCD on zeroes. I've always shot a whole lot at the range to check zeroes. Usually burn all my ammo.

Posts: 10128 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What may be technically legal or correct and what's done, two different things. Never had anyone at customs ask to see my left over ammo. Just left it with the PH. Last year left a box + of 308 handloads, with the Ttsx bullets. How is anyone going to know? PHs I've known sure didn't mind having it.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be taking 338win mag with 225gr Swift A-Frame bullets and 257Roberts as well as 25-06 with 120gr Swift A-Frame bullets. All handloads. Might also take a 6.5X55 or a 30-06 again with Swift A-Frame handloads.
Just might need to shoot all the ammo up there.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
You can take any size liquid (shampoo, toothpaste, etc.) with you as long as it is in your checked luggage. If you carry-on, it can be no larger than 3.4 oz in a 1 qt plastic baggie.

I've heard of people "shooting" all their ammo before leaving Africa. Nothing left to bring home.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
As far as liquids on as carry on ... 3oz is the largest and all your bottles and creams need to be in the proper 1 quart zip lock bag you are allowed.

Checked luggage is another situation all by it self. I also put all liquids in a double zip lock bags to prevent and leakage should it occur.

Shells are another subject...while illegal to give your ammo away just ask your PH if what you have is usable? Then forget to pack what he can use.

Now i have been questioned in Tanzania, Zimbabwe and South Africa when returning if i have any ammunition that i am checking an my response is that some was lost in the field and the rest was used while hunting and that i was not the shot i thought i was...there fore i was unable to get all the animals on my want list. I ran out before the safari was over.

Tanzania was the only place where i was interviewed in 3 different rooms about my rifle and ammo. Same answers to the same questions...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1593 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I left all my "left over" ammo for my PH. They did ask me about it (no Ammo??) when I checked in through Jo'berg on the way home, and I just said I used it all up. No more questions.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no end to the hypocrisy regarding the law restricting the volumes of liquids a passenger is permitted to carry on board a flight.

The ironical side of it is once you are through the check-in (that's where they nail you) and you meander your way through the Duty-Free zone, there seem to be no more restrictions on the amount of booze and perfume you may purchase and "carry-on".

"Left over ammo" issue: Just say it was fully utilized during the course of your hunt (sighting in, on the game and what was left over in target shooting in camp).

"Lost in the field" is tantamount to carelessness on the part of the hunter/client who is accountable for the ammunition he/she has introduced into the country and the reason behind declaring quantity IN and quantity OUT.